U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM

490 posts, read 2,067,850 times

Advertisements

My major is International Studies with an emphasis in political and economic development and my minor is Japanese. I am still currently improving my Mandarin Chinese, which will be my fourth language after Spanish, English, and Japanese.

I live in the United States, I'm 23 years old, and I should graduate by next fall. I am just wondering what types of jobs or even internships would help me for getting my foot in the door. Any non-profit organizations, international business, UNICEF ? Anything related to Journalism or NGOs, how about the UN?? I know more or less what I can do, but what specific programs, companies or corporations can I work with?

Also what city, state or country could I go to? I am willing to move to somewhere else, it doesn't matter if it's on the opposite side of the world from where I'm from, I would go.

In the United States, I was thinking of moving to Texas, since that is the state that created the most jobs in the United States, and I would actually like a change of climate/weather, since here it's usually cold. Also, what I like about the state is it's close proximity to Mexico, so it's easier/faster to visit my home country. Some things I heard is that Texans are some of the most friendly people in the United States (could be wrong) and well also San Antonio and many places in South Texas bring my attention because there's a lot of Mexicans (my people).

Speaking Internationally, I was looking in living in working in these countries

China
Mexico (because it's my country)
Brazil
Chile
Malaysia
Philippines
Australia
The middle eastern gulf countries.
maybe the UK and South Africa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 AM

25,057 posts, read 26,129,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
My major is International Studies with an emphasis in political and economic development and my minor is Japanese. I am still currently improving my Mandarin Chinese, which will be my fourth language after Spanish, English, and Japanese.

I live in the United States, I'm 23 years old, and I should graduate by next fall. I am just wondering what types of jobs or even internships would help me for getting my foot in the door. Any non-profit organizations, international business, UNICEF ? Anything related to Journalism or NGOs, how about the UN?? I know more or less what I can do, but what specific programs, companies or corporations can I work with?

Also what city, state or country could I go to? I am willing to move to somewhere else, it doesn't matter if it's on the opposite side of the world from where I'm from, I would go.

In the United States, I was thinking of moving to Texas, since that is the state that created the most jobs in the United States, and I would actually like a change of climate/weather, since here it's usually cold. Also, what I like about the state is it's close proximity to Mexico, so it's easier/faster to visit my home country. Some things I heard is that Texans are some of the most friendly people in the United States (could be wrong) and well also San Antonio and many places in South Texas bring my attention because there's a lot of Mexicans (my people).

Speaking Internationally, I was looking in living in working in these countries

China
Mexico (because it's my country)
Brazil
Chile
Malaysia
Philippines
Australia
The middle eastern gulf countries.
maybe the UK and South Africa
Firstly, I would concentrate more on learning Mandarin than Japanese. Japan isn't listed as one of your destinations, so I would just shove that aside and work on Mandarin better since Japanese seems more of a hobby to you than a career prospect. It's also easier for a foreigner to get a job in booming China, as opposed to just treading water Japan (Japan is notoriously difficult to get a job in unless you are a university qualified English teacher). UK count out, also extremely difficult to get in, one of the most difficult countries in the EU to move to. Australia is still fairly easy to move to, and I read on the internet that the Arab Gulf states have a lot of opportunities for your area.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Firstly, I would concentrate more on learning Mandarin than Japanese. Japan isn't listed as one of your destinations, so I would just shove that aside and work on Mandarin better since Japanese seems more of a hobby to you than a career prospect. It's also easier for a foreigner to get a job in booming China, as opposed to just treading water Japan (Japan is notoriously difficult to get a job in unless you are a university qualified English teacher). UK count out, also extremely difficult to get in, one of the most difficult countries in the EU to move to. Australia is still fairly easy to move to, and I read on the internet that the Arab Gulf states have a lot of opportunities for your area.
Thanks, well for the Japanese major, I actually didn't know about that when I started majoring in 2010. I knew about it's bad economy, high cost of living and low birth rates & aging population but It wasn't until like halfway through my major, that I realized that Japan is just a country and not what my anime/videogame fantasies were. Also there are some other things as well. However, when I was halfway through my major, it made more sense for me to finish it than to drop it. I am almost done. I have over 3 years studying Japanese.

I only try to take one Japanese class per semester except for like one semester where I didn't. Well thanks for telling me, I will cross Japan and the UK off the list. It's okay, I wasn't even thrilled about going there. It doesn't sound like a happy place or fun place (southern europe is more interesting for me). Japan, well I think it seems like an isolating country with an extremely stressful and uptight lifestyle. I would love some tropical or subtropical place in Australia by the beach haha

I do put time and effort on learning Mandarin Chinese. I put at least 1 hr a day for 5 days a week, been doing that on and off for over 2 years. Also I don't mind learning Arabic if I move to the Arab gulf states (I heard though most people speak English there though)

Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 PM

Well, I went to the Australia forum, and they said that it's really hard to get in there. That I have to have some degree or trade like carpenting, mechanics, doctor, or somewhere in the medical field...well then, I guess Australia, the UK and Japan are off my list.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I went to the Australia forum, and they said that it's really hard to get in there. That I have to have some degree or trade like carpenting, mechanics, doctor, or somewhere in the medical field...well then, I guess Australia, the UK and Japan are off my list.
I see you've found out that moving to another country is not as easy as packing up for another state, right? Unfortunately, at your age, you just simply do not have the qualifications and/or experience to move abroad. Most visa applicants are in their 30s for a reason. I read your other topic as well, you need to rack up considerable experience in your chosen career field. How much experience depends on the employer and your competition. You ain't the only one trying to get out of their country.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I see you've found out that moving to another country is not as easy as packing up for another state, right? Unfortunately, at your age, you just simply do not have the qualifications and/or experience to move abroad. Most visa applicants are in their 30s for a reason. I read your other topic as well, you need to rack up considerable experience in your chosen career field. How much experience depends on the employer and your competition. You ain't the only one trying to get out of their country.
Thank you. I think that you were nicer than some of the other guys in the Australia forum. It got me angry when one of them said "It isn't as easy as you think". THIS made me so angry because I never thought it would be easy to go to Australia. I don't think it's easy saving your money to go somewhere far away, saving money on other things I would otherwise spend. Well no, I never thought that it would be as Easy as moving to another state in the US, but I didn't think it was that hard. I heard Australia had SUCH AN OPEN immigration policy, but I see it isn't the case. I thought that you just had to fill in some papers, do a few things, etc...didn't know that it would be a process take years or decades to even set foot in the country, even if it's just to stay for a few days or weeks.

One of the questions that remain is, what if I married someone from another country, would it make it easier or heck could it make it easier to qualify for citizenship? Also, I have dual-citizenship for Mexico and the USA, so I guess for now my options are only limited to those places.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I think that you were nicer than some of the other guys in the Australia forum. It got me angry when one of them said "It isn't as easy as you think". THIS made me so angry because I never thought it would be easy to go to Australia. I don't think it's easy saving your money to go somewhere far away, saving money on other things I would otherwise spend. Well no, I never thought that it would be as Easy as moving to another state in the US, but I didn't think it was that hard. I heard Australia had SUCH AN OPEN immigration policy, but I see it isn't the case. I thought that you just had to fill in some papers, do a few things, etc...didn't know that it would be a process take years or decades to even set foot in the country, even if it's just to stay for a few days or weeks.

One of the questions that remain is, what if I married someone from another country, would it make it easier or heck could it make it easier to qualify for citizenship? Also, I have dual-citizenship for Mexico and the USA, so I guess for now my options are only limited to those places.
You're welcome. One of the posters mentioned that there are some countries, notably Australia and New Zealand as well, that offer a "working holiday visa". This is perfect for testing out the waters at your age. it's only temporary, but you're allowed work privileges with the idea that you'll be moving to different areas of the country, exploring it. I think this is an opportunity you should think about, it'll also give you experience working with Australian employers and their working environment, which is a plus for Australian employers.

Well, it depends. It used to have a pretty open immigration policy in the early 2000s, Brits and Chinese flooded the country. They have a skilled occupation shortage list on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection Check that list out, it's very important that you do. In the meantime, explore around the website and get familiar with the procedures.

Yes, to emigrate permanently, it takes years. Most of that time is racking up the work experience to make you worth the while for an employer to hire you. Remember, unlike here at home where you'll only be competing against your fellow citizens; in another country, you will be competing against other foreigners (even other Americans), AND citizens of that country. Peruse the immigration website at your leisure. Don't be offended by what some people say. Anybody who is not remotely familiar with what the immigration process is like seems like it's easier than it seems. You're still in your early 20s, it's a learning experience. You have no idea of how many times I've read from young Brits who think it's easy to move to the US because English is their native language and they are British. You're not the first, and you definitely won't be the last

Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,890,375 times
Can only speak for Australia, but your best bet is through the working holiday visa (WHV), which allows you to stay here up to a year (you can extend) and work up to 9 months in that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World