U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 02:30 PM

3,034 posts, read 1,781,892 times

Advertisements

Well, in fact no language is ugly, simply the languages ​​in which some syllables are emphasized by means of a separate intonation seem to me to be somewhat unfamiliar at first glance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Some interesting facts from my POV and taste:

- French is very overrated and labeled as "pretty", when it sounds the other way round to my ears
- In the other hand German is very underrated and much more smooth than how is often portrayed.
- Greek and Georgian both sound very rough and unappealing when speaked, while, at the same time, they have some of the prettiest and most unique alphabets when written.

I sure agree with your opinion of French. Being a Canadian, I am exposed to French on virtually every product label, and I can understand a fair amount of written French. But as soon as a French person (from either France or Quebec) opens their mouth, it's totally incomprehensible to me. When it doesn't sound like they are speaking through the nose, it sounds like they are throwing up.

The other thing I dislike about French is that it takes so many words to say things. "Bathroom faucet handle" turns into "handle of the faucet of the room of the bath"

I like German, because of its precision and clear enunciation. Greek mostly sounds good to me, as do Romanian, Spanish, Italian, Russian. Some Japanese sound beautiful to me, but some not so much.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:25 PM

979 posts, read 357,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
I sure agree with your opinion of French. Being a Canadian, I am exposed to French on virtually every product label, and I can understand a fair amount of written French. But as soon as a French person (from either France or Quebec) opens their mouth, it's totally incomprehensible to me. When it doesn't sound like they are speaking through the nose, it sounds like they are throwing up.

The other thing I dislike about French is that it takes so many words to say things. "Bathroom faucet handle" turns into "handle of the faucet of the room of the bath"

I like German, because of its precision and clear enunciation. Greek mostly sounds good to me, as do Romanian, Spanish, Italian, Russian. Some Japanese sound beautiful to me, but some not so much.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ugliest is by far Cantonese (sounds like people cursing at each other) followed by Danish (sounds like German and Swedish had a messed up child), Welsh (sounds like people chocking on potatoes), Mandarin (the "sh", "dzh" and "sch" sounds drive me crazy), and Haitian Creole (sounds like the speaker is performing exorcism).

Prettiest is Spanish, Jamaican English, Italian, Swedish, Thai (more cute than beautiful but I still love the sound of it), and Zulu. Spanish is particularly beautiful imo, the word for rainfall is "pluviosidad". Even disgrace sounds good in Spanish, "verguenza".
Not sure about the cursing part unless I know the context. But it is definitely loud, and the sing-song twang drives me crazy.
https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1265333879201771520

Old 08-24-2020, 06:30 PM

3,544 posts, read 1,834,827 times
Greenlandic kinda sounds like a cross between Arabic and French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzCIKZLXHc

Old 08-24-2020, 06:39 PM

22,323 posts, read 10,516,777 times
The prettiest language in my view is Farsi/Persian. The Ayatollah was trashing the United States, but to the ignorant ear, it sounded like poetry

On the opposite end, I absolutely hate how Arabic and German sound.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:27 PM

8,529 posts, read 4,277,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The prettiest language in my view is Farsi/Persian. The Ayatollah was trashing the United States, but to the ignorant ear, it sounded like poetry

On the opposite end, I absolutely hate how Arabic and German sound.
You answered the "ugliest sounding languages" part of my response for me. Thanks. I'll add certain Chinese dialects to that. Horrible.

Prettiest languages to me are French, Italian, and Castilian Spanish. And, honestly, English -- spoken well by someone with a nice accent and voice.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:16 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,196,452 times
Quote:

English is far easily to get the message over in less words than German. French is sometimes termed the language of the angles.
You must certainly be around a certain class of speakers. Some English language accents sound worse.

A well elocuted French sounds very pleasant on the ear. Also a very vivid slang to rival English.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:53 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,654,577 times
Prettiest? Finnish, Classical Arabic, and Italian

Old 08-24-2020, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 1,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
English is far easily to get the message over in less words than German. French is sometimes termed the language of the angles.
You must certainly be around a certain class of speakers. Some English language accents sound worse.

A well elocuted French sounds very pleasant on the ear. Also a very vivid slang to rival English.

I have been around many French speakers. I spent about 2 years in France, and 6 months in Quebec. I have also heard a lot of French spoken in political news stories on TV.

You may like French, and that's fine. To me, it is the ugliest language I have ever heard.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,403,674 times
Quote:
To me, it is the ugliest language I have ever heard.

I agree, no offense to LGBT people I'm 100% for gay marriage but French sounds...well gay . I'd say it challenges Russian for the worst sounding language in the world.

Then again: Italian, Japanese, Latin -> ear orgasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World