U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 04:13 AM

818 posts, read 289,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I agree, no offense to LGBT people I'm 100% for gay marriage but French sounds...well gay . I'd say it challenges Russian for the worst sounding language in the world.

Then again: Italian, Japanese, Latin -> ear orgasm.
French is a great language spoken by a female, but not so much if it is spoken by a male.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 06:20 AM

370 posts, read 265,444 times
I always wondered how there got to be so many Germans when they always sound so angry : )

Old 08-25-2020, 06:56 AM

4,759 posts, read 1,957,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
French is a great language spoken by a female, but not so much if it is spoken by a male.
I’d say that’s true in most cases. Women embellish a language.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:30 AM

24,596 posts, read 31,043,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I agree, no offense to LGBT people I'm 100% for gay marriage but French sounds...well gay . .
I suppose by this you mean that French sounds effeminate, or non-virile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LgMsR-jI1k

To me Castilian Spanish is one of the most effeminate sounding languages. I still like the language, but I prefer the soft Cs in Latin America to the TH sound in Spain.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:43 PM

17,437 posts, read 20,383,195 times
I don't prefer the sound of languages with a lot of elision and soft consonants (ʃ ʧ ʒ ɕ z v) such as Russian, Portuguese, and to a lesser extent, French. They sound slurred and "soft" to my ear and are hard to parse out the words from one another.

Italian and Spanish err to the other side. The rhythm of an unstressed initial syllable and a heavily stressed penultimate syllable makes them too staccato for my taste, but I do appreciate that they are easier to understand. And having studied Latin, I appreciate the heritage of the languages.

I like Germanic languages for the rhythm of initial stress and harder consonants. They may not be as mild, but in my opinion, the rhythm makes them potentially more poetic/musical. Schwiizerdütsch and Dutch/Afrikaans are my least favorite (though not particularly offensive to me). High German and Danish, are in the middle for me, and I like the sound of Norwegian and Swedish (at least some dialects) the best.

I am a native English speaker so I am too biased to judge, but I would say it would probably fit in the midrange of my preferences as it has some of the negative traits of the first group I described (softer consonants), but some of the positive traits of my preferred languages sound.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ugliest is by far Cantonese (sounds like people cursing at each other) followed by Danish (sounds like German and Swedish had a messed up child), Welsh (sounds like people chocking on potatoes), Mandarin (the "sh", "dzh" and "sch" sounds drive me crazy), and Haitian Creole (sounds like the speaker is performing exorcism).

Prettiest is Spanish, Jamaican English, Italian, Swedish, Thai (more cute than beautiful but I still love the sound of it), and Zulu. Spanish is particularly beautiful imo, the word for rainfall is "pluviosidad". Even disgrace sounds good in Spanish, "verguenza".
:sm ack::sma ck::smac k:

Old 09-30-2020, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 660 times
Default Prettiest and ugliest languages

Prettiest languages: Korean
Ugliest languages: Hindi, Punjabi, German, Spanish, French, Arabic, Cantonese

Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 AM

161 posts, read 55,430 times
Does anyone have any opinions on less widely spoken and heard languages? I'm
For instance I would describe Basque as sharp, alien, and with Castilian musicality.
Latvian manages to sound both flat and musical to my ears.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 AM

862 posts, read 437,475 times
prettiest : French

Ugliest : Vietnamese

Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,403,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on less widely spoken and heard languages? I'm
For instance I would describe Basque as sharp, alien, and with Castilian musicality.
Latvian manages to sound both flat and musical to my ears.

If you mean say under 20m speakers as L1 then:

I like Kazakh, Mongolian to some extent as well as Romanian, Hungarian, Czech. Will easily include bulgarian as the best sounding slavic language. Hebrew is cool too. Maybe Greek as well...

Not a fan of Belarusian or Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World