Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:49 AM

44 posts, read 42,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
French is a great language spoken by a female, but not so much if it is spoken by a male.
French has the reputation of being sexy but it can be incredibly nasal and at times terribly guttural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
The prettiest languages for me are:
Dutch (because I am Dutch)
French
Germen
Arabic (I think it's the most beautiful WRITTEN language)
Afrikaans ( Because I am also South African)
English (well actaully British)
Italian
Swedish
Icelandic
Norwegian ( I think...?)
Russian
Spanish ( maybe???)
Greek

Old 01-22-2021, 08:53 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda8 View Post
The prettiest languages for me are:
Dutch (because I am Dutch)
I'm studying Dutch right now. And for a very specific reason: to be able to understand the subtitles of some rare opera performances produced in the Netherlands, and only available in Dutch. As I already speak English and have a good knowledge of German, learning Dutch appears to be easy. Last week I played a sample of spoken Dutch to my wife and she took that as German with some English accent.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Honestly, I don't think it would be appropriate to call any language ugly out loud as it is part of someone's culture. Some languages do sound not as good as others, but thats just personal opinions. Prettiest languages I personally find cute or astounding to the point I'd love to learn them are... Spanish, Italian, Romanian, French, Hindi, Korean, Japanese, Turkish and Urdu. English is pretty basic, its just another useful language to learn- along with Mandarin (i do admire its very complicated character system). Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and French just sound romantic/calming. I know they are overrated in a way because everyone in this forum keeps listing mainly those 3 languages (I know that theres also comments abt how Spanish sounds ugly as well as French), but I think that those 3 languages are just lovely- when spoken correctly and calmly. As for Hindi and Urdu, their character system is just beautiful, I love the way they sound as well- and then theres Korean, Japanese, and Turkish that just sound so, idk how to describe it, but I personally just find them very fun to speak.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
What do you think about Romanian and Hungarian (my native languages)?
I personally find Romanian very beautiful, i haven't really heard Hungarian language too give an opinion on it, but I'm pretty sure it sounds lovely.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:11 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Listen to YouTube...

Old 02-09-2021, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Had to register just for this funny subject. In no particular order from the ones I've heard a decent amount of (I guess I am biased towards languages that sound calm and laid back)...

Pretty:

Portugese (PT): My favorite romance language. Like Spanish but better. I like the guttural sounds and diphtongs. It sounds softer and flows better than Spanish.

Spanish: Most accents still sound pretty nice (not overly lisped).

Cantonese: Sounds so much better than Mandarin. Shame that it seems an absolute B to learn. Tones 2 and 5...

Danish: Softer and more relaxed than standard Swedish.

Icelandic: Relaxing and with unique sounds.

Japanese: Difficult but expressive while simultaneously allowing for omitting subjects, objects etc. The beauty lies in how "effective" it is and the little nuances. It's like it was created for shy people.

Zulu/Xhosa: Sound cool with unusual sounds/clicks.

Gaelic languages: Softer than English. Like an English person that's so laid back that he/she doesn't feel the need to complete entire words.

Ugly:

Somali: No explanation needed

Arabic: No explanation needed

Ahmaric: No explanation needed

Turkish: No explanation needed

Portugese (BR): Portugese from Portugal sounds nice and relaxed. Brazilian Portugese sounds exagerrated and aggressive.

Romanian: the ugliest romance language except for...

Canadian French: You just take your standard French and then proceed to casually murder it.

Norwegian: Rising pitch at the end of sentences making everything sound like a rethorical question by a very dumb and/or passive-aggressive person that feigns being overly happy.

Korean: I can never make out the words except for the odd "sumida" here and there... It's like Mandarin and Japanese had an ugly child that also mumbles.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
It's not German!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxvQI88JRY

Old 02-11-2021, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,343 times
Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
also I hate to sound mean, but I don't like a lot of the southeast asian languages like Vietnamese and Hmong and some Chinese dialects. It's a bunch of monosyllabic sounds which are just frequently paused and I see no emotion in it whatsoever. No grace or form. I'm not entirely convinced with Arabic either. I do like the sound of Hindi and some of the Indian languages.
I think arabic sounds beautiful listen to Ahwak - Abdel Halim Hafez اهواك - عبد الحليم حافظ but i disagree will you with the indian language i think it sounds strange

Old 02-11-2021, 01:48 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
I like Lingala and other Bantu languages. They are syllable-timed so vowels are not shortened for unaccented syllables, and is tonal, so sounds like a staccato sung-song. A Bantu speaker, learning English, cannot her the difference between "competing" and "competent, except for the last syllable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World