U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,589,666 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say that I don't like Portuguese from Portugal per se, but it just sounds so much like a Slavic language to me... I was really, really surprised when I heard it for the first time...

Joao Barros on RTPN nightly news (in Portuguese) talks about future internet - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 AM

16,553 posts, read 24,194,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I don't think people from the South of Mexico speak fast at all.

I give you that basically nobody from Mexico sounds like their from Madrid, but in Galicia, in Northwest Spain, people speak extremely fast, with a very high-pitched nasal accent.
What I said is that it doesn't sound like European Spanish. Sure we can split hairs but at the end of the day, it doesn't sound like European Spanish.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:58 AM

16,553 posts, read 24,194,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like some Romance languages, Portuguese, Catalan, and some Italian, but in general the alternating syllable stress makes the ones with hard consonants and short vowels unpleasant.

On the other hand, Germanic languages, having initial stress sounds nicer to me when the language tends to have softer consonants like English, Norwegian, Swedish, and many German accents.

To me rhythm of a language is more important than consonantal quality.
I like rhythmic languages too which is why German was one of my favorites. Rap songs in German sound really cool for that reason.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:14 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,937,598 times
Classical Latin, Italian, Ukrainian sound good for me. Malay-Indonesian can sound pretty good as well:
jalan pulang - YouTube
I'm not a fan of sounds of Hungarian and French. Chinese is not exactly ugly, but pretty strange to me.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,085,359 times
One thing I really don't like in some germanic languages is the lack of some occlusive consonants. I note this especially in Danish. They appear to have something in the mouth when speaking; a word such as "get" sounds more or less like "yet".

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM

6,572 posts, read 5,812,990 times
Prettiest: Spanish and Portuguese

Ugliest: Arabic and Indian languages (hindi, Urdu, bengali etc.)

Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 2,609,795 times
I could listen to the Irish speak (English...I don't know Irish Gaelic) all day. It's like they're singing.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,621,973 times
I love Italian but I am obviously biased.
I always liked Hungarian, German,French, Spanish, Japanese and Greek.
I dislike Chinese,Thai,Korean, Portuguese (I can't stand to all "au,nao," sounds) and Arabic.
I do neither like nor dislike English: it's just too common to judge, I'm used to it.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 PM

490 posts, read 1,927,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I love Italian but I am obviously biased.
I always liked Hungarian, German,French, Spanish, Japanese and Greek.
I dislike Chinese,Thai,Korean, Portuguese (I can't stand to all "au,nao," sounds) and Arabic.
I do neither like nor dislike English: it's just too common to judge, I'm used to it.
Very weird and interesting opinion, but hey that's what makes the world go around. I prefer the sound of Korean and even Chinese over German. I fail to see anything charming or nice about the most germanic and slavic languages, though I think English can sound very nice. Despite French being a Romance language, I don't like it so much. I really like your language Italian, and I like my language Spanish, and I don't think it's because it's my language. I like a lot of the a and o sounds. well most of the vowel sounds.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 PM

659 posts, read 1,052,568 times
Lovely languages:
Arabic Nasheeds
Farsi chanting
Swahili
Twi
Castillian Spanish
Esperanto

No ugly languages but German seems a bit harsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World