U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM

340 posts, read 296,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not true,to his people and chinese speakers around the world,it has a meaning.
Well excuse me! In my first thread you were quick to point how out you believe just how much more complex and deeper French is than English even though I mentioned Asian languaes like Chinese and more having no inflection whatsoever, and now you are here defending them as having "meaning" to other speakers. Dear god I think more veins in my head have popped!

I will never understand why linguistics is so full crud in European circles!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM

10,603 posts, read 6,580,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Did not ask for the origin of the word,talking about the concept itself that's based on the assumption that only a european language,the Latin language in this case, can be romantic,which is false.
Who assumes that? Calling languages Romantic languages has nothing to do with a later development of the word "romantic."

Rome came first, then the Romance or Romantic languages deriving from Latin, then much later the secondary meaning of "romantic" as "passionate, loving."

I am quite sure that anyone with the slightest knowledge of history realizes that the Romantic languages came from Rome and were not given that name because they are more passionate than others. Please try to understand this.

As for the original question, my preferences for most beautiful are for Welsh, Irish, Brazilian Portuguese. I find Arabic, Chinese and Vietnamese unattractive.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 PM

11,333 posts, read 9,787,440 times
Prettiest: English, French, Greek, Hebrew, Georgian, Dutch, Scottish Gaelic

Ugliest: Farsi, Pashto, Chinese (all its varieties), Malay, Vietnamese, Russian, German

Depending on their dialects, some forms of Arabic and Spanish sound horrible. There is that Spanish dialect (I think it's Mexican?) where they speak way too quickly. It's like the audio is playing at 2x - So annoying. Iraqi and Gulf Arabic is not that nice to the ears, especially those with a thicker accents from there. I prefer their "RP" Arabic, as spoken in their news and heard in some Kathem Al Saher music.

Last edited by Ethereal; 02-19-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 PM

1,037 posts, read 988,970 times
Prettiest: Russian, English, French, Spanish.
Uggliest: No idea.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,668,118 times
Most attractive: Italian
Least attractive: Hindi

Old 02-20-2015, 03:11 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,472,667 times
UGLY:
French (after living in la francophonie for so long, the throat sounds and the GGRRRR get to you)

germanic languages in general are kinda ugly (dutch, german, nordic languages) they all sound like they have a hot potato stuck in their throats

Brazilian portuguese is kinda annoying too, all those AO, EU are irritating

mexican spanish, do you really need to sound like speedy gonzales?

US white girl accent... chewing gum omg omg omg rolling the RRRRS as much as u can

PRETTY:
Colombian spanish especially when spoken by women

argentine spanish is elegant

UK english when spoken by educated fellas

Southern American english when spoken by women (like colombia)

COOL SOUNDING:

Hungarian

japanese

xhosa (has the click sound)

Quechua (the language of the andes)

Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,539,772 times
Prettiest: French, Italian, Swahili, Arabic, Mandarin (but not all dialects of Chinese).

Ugliest: Won't say -- it's all subjective, and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.*

(*) When I was living in France, I met French people who told me American English was harsh or ugly, while others said they liked l'américain a lot and even preferred it to British or Australian English. Also, I met people there who didn't like an American accent in French, and others who said the American accent in French was cute and totally disarming.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 AM

2,652 posts, read 2,638,463 times
Pretty Languages : English, Romance Languages(Spanish, French, Italian), Hebrew, Japanese, Norwegian(unique accent!)

Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 PM

522 posts, read 604,904 times
Stunning: French & German
Pretty: English, Swedish, Russian, Greek, Latin, Gaelic, Japanese
Meh: Italian, Dutch, Polish, Chinese, Portugese, Icelandic, Turkish
Gross: Spanish, Arabic, Cantonese, Korean

Old 10-01-2015, 05:15 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,385,106 times
Prettiest: Arabic, Spanish, Greek, Latin(Italian),
Alright: English, German, French Indian
Least Fav: Mandarin, Japanese, Korean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World