U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:45 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,626,815 times

Advertisements

Ugliest is by far Cantonese (sounds like people cursing at each other) followed by Danish (sounds like German and Swedish had a messed up child), Welsh (sounds like people chocking on potatoes), Mandarin (the "sh", "dzh" and "sch" sounds drive me crazy), and Haitian Creole (sounds like the speaker is performing exorcism).

Prettiest is Spanish, Jamaican English, Italian, Swedish, Thai (more cute than beautiful but I still love the sound of it), and Zulu. Spanish is particularly beautiful imo, the word for rainfall is "pluviosidad". Even disgrace sounds good in Spanish, "verguenza".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,951,825 times
Prettiest languages for me are

Catalan

Italian

Swedish

Afrikaans

Spanish (and no, it's not just because it's my language)

Japanese and Korean (they sound similar to a Romance Language)

Portuguese

Malaysian and Indonesian

Chavacano (a dialect of the Phillipines, very similar to Spanish)

Mandarin Chinese (I used to really dislike it, tolerated it as I studied it more and I like it now)

Nahuatl, Purepecha, Mixtec (indigenous dialects spoken in Mexico, I like their intonations/inflections or whatever you call it)

I don't really like the sound of German too much, nor the slavic languages except for a few...

Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM

also I hate to sound mean, but I don't like a lot of the southeast asian languages like Vietnamese and Hmong and some Chinese dialects. It's a bunch of monosyllabic sounds which are just frequently paused and I see no emotion in it whatsoever. No grace or form. I'm not entirely convinced with Arabic either. I do like the sound of Hindi and some of the Indian languages.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 PM

290 posts, read 656,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ugliest is by far Cantonese (sounds like people cursing at each other) followed by Danish (sounds like German and Swedish had a messed up child), Welsh (sounds like people chocking on potatoes), Mandarin (the "sh", "dzh" and "sch" sounds drive me crazy), and Haitian Creole (sounds like the speaker is performing exorcism).

Prettiest is Spanish, Jamaican English, Italian, Swedish, Thai (more cute than beautiful but I still love the sound of it), and Zulu. Spanish is particularly beautiful imo, the word for rainfall is "pluviosidad". Even disgrace sounds good in Spanish, "verguenza".
prettiest = cantonese, mandarin, german, korean, french
ugliest = spanish - too damn fast. listening to it is like watching a movie on fast forward.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
prettiest = cantonese, mandarin, german, korean, french
ugliest = spanish - too damn fast. listening to it is like watching a movie on fast forward.
If being fast is the only thing that makes Spanish ugly for you, then you should listen to the Spanish of the Central American countries and Southern Mexico. They speak slower.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,832,502 times
My favorites is Ebonics, French, Italian, and Portuguese.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,985,328 times
Favorite: I've always loved the sound of Welsh and the Gaelic languages.

Least Favorite: Chiac (dialect of French spoken in and around Monton, New Brunswick), my grandparents were native speakers...eek!

T'was la souèrée avant Noël - AcadieMan - YouTube

Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Also, I like Galician too.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM

16,557 posts, read 24,321,593 times
I think we had a thread like this before. Anyway:

Prettiest:
Italian
French (sometimes)
German (due to the rhythm)
Japanese
European, Chilean and Argentine Spanish
Irish English
Swahili

Ugliest:
Arabic
Cantonese
Farsi
Most Dutch dialects
Vietnamese (they sound like birds)
Mexican Spanish (they talk until they run out of breath)
Southern American English
Somali
Polish

Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,985,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexican Spanish (they talk until they run out of breath)
Are you talking about the more nasal Northern Mexican accent or the more mumbled Central Mexican accent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World