Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

People only notice the American tourists they notice. If you get what I am saying.

In other words, of course you notice the obese man and his wife and their three children in loud shirts and sweatpants and white sneakers. You do not notice the majority of other Americans who are normal body size, dressed sensibly, not with a tour group, etc.

This skews your impression of what a 'typical American' looks like. Combine that with spiteful stereotypes and, voila, you have a city-data thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
What makes American tourists stand out?
Everyone knows it's the "marshmallows!"

Old 12-25-2013, 11:02 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People only notice the American tourists they notice. If you get what I am saying.

In other words, of course you notice the obese man and his wife and their three children in loud shirts and sweatpants and white sneakers. You do not notice the majority of other Americans who are normal body size, dressed sensibly, not with a tour group, etc.

This skews your impression of what a 'typical American' looks like. Combine that with spiteful stereotypes and, voila, you have a city-data thread.
Exactly. Another way of what you're saying is, people see what they want to see

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM

401 posts, read 649,814 times
Americans are loud so you can't miss them. They're almost rude actually because they talk and act as if they're the only ones here. I remember when I went to Greece, there were many Americans tourists and on the boat to go from an island to another there were people from everywhere but Americans were by far the loudest. A bunch of young Americans were playing cards and they were so annoying because they didn't care about other people nearby trying to sleep or rest.
In Europe they tend to go to the most touristy places, you're not gonna find them somewhere not well known.
They're often travelling in groups. They usually don't wear fancy clothes.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Very good post. We tend to notice what stands out. I mentioned earlier the Chinese tourist who travel like a flock of migrating birds. I'm sure I missed countless other Chinese tourist who were just there with their families or as a couple maybe. Perhaps mistaking them for Asian-Americans in a general sense. I also saw many of the types of Americans stereotyped here. I also saw countless others who were not like this. Indeed the majority of Americans are quite normal.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Americans are loud so you can't miss them. They're almost rude actually because they talk and act as if they're the only ones here. I remember when I went to Greece, there were many Americans tourists and on the boat to go from an island to another there were people from everywhere but Americans were by far the loudest. A bunch of young Americans were playing cards and they were so annoying because they didn't care about other people nearby trying to sleep or rest.
In Europe they tend to go to the most touristy places, you're not gonna find them somewhere not well known.
They're often travelling in groups. They usually don't wear fancy clothes.
Having lived in the San Francisco area and San Diego areas, both big tourist places, you can see the same things with other tourists. In San Diego, foreign tourists go to Sea World and the zoo. In San Francisco they concentrate around Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square and ride a cable car. Foreign tourist go to the tourist areas too without wandering to other areas locals go to. In theme parks, many do their fare share of complaining as well so I am not really understanding how this is an American thing.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM

387 posts, read 871,150 times
Australians - very sun damaged skin, women in bright synthetic tops and white pants
New Zealanders - fleece, sun damaged skin, tramping shoes, no makeup, unstyled hair
Americans - trainers, loud voices

Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Most tourists stand out in some way or another, to a greater or lesser degree. But its all relative depending on the culture of the host country. An American/Australian/German (take your pick of national group) in Bali will stand out from the locals, as they will in Ireland or Austria. But they'll stand out for different reasons and to different degrees.

Last edited by Richard1098; 12-25-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 PM

284 posts, read 641,305 times
its crazy hearing how people view americans as loud, we usually associate that stereotype with hispanic people lol

Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 PM

545 posts, read 866,498 times
I notice Americans because of their accent when they speak English loudly.
I notice Italians and Brazilians kind of the same way.
And French too haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World