Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Not that what's referred to as Christmas was a strictly Christian tradition to begin with in the first place. It was one of the many pre-Christian traditions carried over and 'Christianized' by the Roman Catholic Church. Originating from a collectivization of traditions such as the Pagan Blood Ceremony of Yule - which is why many biblical Christians don't celebrate it.
Yes, that may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that Christians incorporated it into Christmas, which is now a distinctly Christian thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:45 AM

531 posts, read 594,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, that may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that Christians incorporated it into Christmas, which is now a distinctly Christian thing
I think there are strong arguments for why pagan traditions masquerading as Christianity (which all denominations suffer from to some degree) shouldn't be considered Christian -- partly because they are predicted and proscribed/warned against in the first century text now called Revelation.

I suspect some of the people who reject Christmas and are outdoors not celebrating Christmas day are a mix of both non-believers and hermeneutically literate biblical Christians -- doing what they do for opposite reasons. Interesting paradox.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
I think there are strong arguments for why pagan traditions masquerading as Christianity (which all denominations suffer from to some degree) shouldn't be considered Christian -- partly because they are predicted and proscribed/warned against in the first century text now called Revelation.

I suspect some of the people who reject Christmas and are outdoors not celebrating Christmas day are a mix of both non-believers and hermeneutically literate biblical Christians -- doing what they do for opposite reasons. Interesting paradox.
Perhaps. My family is Christian but we never celebrated Christmas in a huge way, just a few presents, maybe a plastic tree on a few years, getting together with family and friends and going to church. I haven't met any Christian who objected to celebrating Christmas, but there doubtless are a few, I mean JW's don't celebrate Christmas do they?

Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,550 times
Restaurants are open, the same with cinemas. There are more things but I can't remember now.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Everything is closed except for the odd gas station, small corner stores and coffe shop. (Nowhere near all of these businesses are open. Maybe 20% of the are open - on the busiest streets and along main highways.)

Even McDonald's are almost all closed.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 AM

I'm surprised movie cinemas/theatres are open in other countries on Christmas day.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm surprised movie cinemas/theatres are open in other countries on Christmas day.
I may be wrong and some cinemas may actually be open here, but I am pretty sure they are not in the area where I live.

And of course, Canada is big and diverse - other areas may be different.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I may be wrong and some cinemas may actually be open here, but I am pretty sure they are not in the area where I live.

And of course, Canada is big and diverse - other areas may be different.
You have Boxing Day in Canada right? Here Boxing Day is a big day for blockbuster movie releases over the summer holiday season, plus there's the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race and the Boxing Day Test Match (cricket). It's an official public holiday too but a lot of shops are open.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 AM

595 posts, read 719,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Restaurants are open, the same with cinemas. There are more things but I can't remember now.
Bars, pubs and nightclubs are open.
Some special supermarkets like Supercor/Opencor or whatever is called now too.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Bars, pubs and nightclubs are open.
Some special supermarkets like Supercor/Opencor or whatever is called now too.
Really? Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World