Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times

Advertisements

On a region per region basis:

Continental Europe: Berlin
North America: New York and Miami
East Asia: Seoul
World: Tough one so I will say it boils down to how rich you are ...

- Mega rich (UHNWI):
- Very rich (HNWI): London
- Well off: Paris, New York
- Else: Berlin, Amsterdam

Last edited by Yousseff; 02-16-2015 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 AM

159 posts, read 177,425 times
What city for the mega rich?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 AM

266 posts, read 673,886 times
fun cities:

1. Madrid. OK, NYC has 3000 bars, London 10,000. Madrid has 30,000. Watch the 10pm rush hour as people head out to eat, then party from midnight till dawn, en masse. All night every night, noone visits for the daytime. The winning factor, other than just size is it's not about being cool, it's about being open to all.

Na Nena Fotografa: Noche en Blanco Madrid 2010

www.trinitylanguageschool.com

2. Tel Aviv - the perfect weather and beach side setting, and everything that Jerusalem isn't. Now dubbed the world's gay capital where hook-up apps haven't yet decimated the nightlife (as in the former 'gay capitals' of Sydney and London), and social acceptance hasn't made LGBT businesses obsolete (as in Bangkok). Gay or straight, Jewish or Muslim, it's all about freedom and the fight for it.

Maoz Israel, Israeli Films - Home

TaHaT CLuB » Telavivian | Lifestyle and fashion by people from Tel Aviv

3. Belgrade. Every night is Saturday night with no differentiation, every place a party, from tiny neighbourhood bars to the megaclubs. Hope you like turbofolk. And going back to work the next morning.

http://vorige.nrc.nl

Crveni tepih | Skandal, tra, Belgrade Travel and Business Guide - Travel and business information about the capital of Serbia

4. Berlin - ever since the city went bankrupt in the noughties culture has lifted off, making everything inclusive and affordable. Drawing creatives from round the world it's now the bonafide global hipster and art capital, who squatted in huge areas of empty housing abandoned after the fall of the wall. The nightlife is not only superb and leftfield, with possibly the world's best clubbing (see the rostas and secret events in say, abandoned villas or riverside islands) - it's also affordable. Bankruptcy never looked so good.

Arena Berlin | Arena Halle, Badeschiff, Glashaus, Escobar und Arena Club

Urban Travel Blog - City Guides & Travel Articles

Zimbio - Entertainment News, Celebrity News, Celebrity Photos & Videos

5. London - the age of the superclubs and the worlds largest, busiest nightlife districts are over thanks to the astronomical rents, now it's all about the bizarre, in the East End and south of the river, the kind of areas one needs a visa to get your taxi to. Birthplace of global institutions such as, er rebel bingo, naked bikeride, dry sex finals and craft nite. Fancy a spot of knitting with your 90s voguing?

London What's on, News, Travel Guides, Tour Search, Jobs, Flats, Competitions,Moving to London, Daily News, Forum, TNT Shipping - TNT Magazine - TNT Magazine, http://i.dailymail.co.uk

6. Istanbul - East meets West, drink don't drink, protest, eat, burkas and legalised prostitution. Party in the catacombs, the roman ruins, the beach, the bridges, the former palaces, the gay bars by the mosque. So damn pluralistic, juxtaposed everywhere you go.

www.ntv.com.tr

Diplomacy Post

http://gcube.milliyet.com.tr

7. Barcelona - Madrid en mer, simple as.

www.wodumedia.com

Malay Mail Online

8. NYC - the city that never sleeps. All you can find is here, the great all-rounder, from the swanky bars of Manhattan to the speakeasys of Brooklyn and the Bronx - seek and ye shall find. Great food, craft beer and theme parties. Tired of partying at 2am? grab a bite, go to the library.

JoeyBLS Photography - Order or License Fine Art Photography by Joey B. Lax-Salinas

NYMag - Politics, Entertainment, Fashion, Restaurants & NY, Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Vacation Ideas, and Trip-Planning Tools at Concierge.com

9. Seoul - the city that (really) never sleeps - true 24 hr culture in the world's second biggest city of 24 million. Fiery, from the food to the people, is the word, in the most technologically advanced nation. There are things here you'll never have seen before eg: Cute vs edgy.

20 Unrated Photos Of Wild Nightlife In Korea | Koreaboo

10. Tokyo - the beast. 180,000 bars and restaurants catering to 30 million people, and the world of the weird. From 5 stool bars the size of your living room to clubs the size of a small stadium, kitten-karaoke-schoolgirl-mad - the variety of urban tribes are phenomenal, and a reaction against how homogenous the population is. See the droves of well dressed, drunken bodies littering the city's subways and pavements every morning.

http://www2.manager.co.th/CyberBiz/V...08119&TabID=2&

? Samba Walker ? Home Page

http://hypebeast.com/2009/6/gucci-ce...le-baron-tokyo

Special mention, up n coming: Budapest:

BeBudapest - your personal guide about Budapest

http://assets3.thrillist.com

and Sarajevo

klixstatic

infoBAR Specijal, Sarajevo - Page 36 - SkyscraperCity

If you had developing countries the list would be dominated by places like Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Rio, Beirut, Shanghai etc.

Last edited by smool; 02-16-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
fun cities:

1. Madrid. OK, NYC has 3000 bars, London 10,000. Madrid has 30,000. Watch the 10pm rush hour as people head out to eat, then party from midnight till dawn, en masse. All night every night, noone visits for the daytime. The winning factor, other than just size is it's not about being cool, it's about being open to all.

2. Tel Aviv - the perfect weather and beach side setting, and everything that Jerusalem isn't. Now dubbed the world's gay capital where hook-up apps haven't yet decimated the nightlife (as in the former 'gay capitals' of Sydney and London), and social acceptance hasn't made LGBT businesses obsolete (as in Bangkok). Gay or straight, Jewish or Muslim, it's all about freedom and the fight for it.

3. Belgrade. Every night is Saturday night with no differentiation, every place a party, from tiny neighbourhood bars to the megaclubs. Hope you like turbofolk. And going back to work the next morning.

Crveni tepih | Skandal, tra, Belgrade Travel and Business Guide - Travel and business information about the capital of Serbia

4. Berlin - ever since the city went bankrupt in the noughties culture has lifted off, making everything inclusive and affordable. Drawing creatives from round the world it's now the bonafide global hipster and art capital, who squatted in huge areas of empty housing abandoned after the fall of the wall. The nightlife is not only superb and leftfield, with possibly the world's best clubbing (see the rostas and secret events in say, abandoned villas or riverside islands) - it's also affordable. Bankruptcy never looked so good.

5. London - the age of the superclubs and the worlds largest, busiest nightlife districts are over thanks to the astronomical rents, now it's all about the bizarre, in the East End and south of the river, the kind of areas one needs a visa to get your taxi to. Birthplace of global institutions such as, er rebel bingo, naked bikeride, dry sex finals and craft nite. Fancy a spot of edgy knitting with your 90s voguing?

London What's on, News, Travel Guides, Tour Search, Jobs, Flats, Competitions,Moving to London, Daily News, Forum, TNT Shipping - TNT Magazine - TNT Magazine, http://i.dailymail.co.uk

6. Istanbul - East meets West, drink don't drink, protest, eat, burkas and legalised prostitution. Party in the catacombs, the roman ruins, the beach, the bridges, the former palaces, the gay bars by the mosque. So damn pluralistic, juxtaposed everywhere you go.

NTV Haber - Türkiye ve Dünya Gündemi Güncel Son Dakika Haberleri | Ntv.com.tr

Diplomacy Post

Wodu Media | Inspired by design

Malay Mail Online

8. NYC - the city that never sleeps. All you can find is here, the great all-rounder, from the swanky bars of Manhattan to the speakeasys of Brooklyn and the Bronx - seek and ye shall find. Great food, craft beer and theme parties. Tired of partying at 2am? grab a bite, go to the library.

JoeyBLS Photography - Order or License Fine Art Photography by Joey B. Lax-Salinas

NYMag - Politics, Entertainment, Fashion, Restaurants & NY, Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Vacation Ideas, and Trip-Planning Tools at Concierge.com

9. Seoul - the city that (really) never sleeps - true 24 hr culture in the world's second biggest city of 24 million. Fiery, from the food to the people, is the word, in the most technologically advanced nation. There are things here you'll never have seen before eg: Cute vs edgy.

10. Tokyo - the beast. 180,000 bars and restaurants catering to 30 million people. From 5 stool bars the size of your living room to clubs the size of a small stadium, kitten-karaoke-schoolgirl-mad - the variety of urban tribes are phenomenal, and a reaction against how homogenous the population is. See the droves of well dressed, drunken bodies littering the city's subways and pavements every morning.

Time Out Tokyo | Tokyo Events, Activities & Things To Do

and Sarajevo

klixstatic

If you had developing countries the list would be dominated by places like Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Rio, Beirut, Shanghai etc.
Great post. I felt like I just watched a documentary!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
fun cities:

5. London - the age of the superclubs and the worlds largest, busiest nightlife districts are over thanks to the astronomical rents, now it's all about the bizarre, in the East End and south of the river, the kind of areas one needs a visa to get your taxi to. Birthplace of global institutions such as, er rebel bingo, naked bikeride, dry sex finals and craft nite. Fancy a spot of knitting with your 90s voguing?

NTV Haber - Türkiye ve Dünya Gündemi Güncel Son Dakika Haberleri | Ntv.com.tr

Diplomacy Post

Wodu Media | Inspired by design

Malay Mail Online

10. Tokyo - the beast. 180,000 bars and restaurants catering to 30 million people, and the world of the weird. From 5 stool bars the size of your living room to clubs the size of a small stadium, kitten-karaoke-schoolgirl-mad - the variety of urban tribes are phenomenal, and a reaction against how homogenous the population is. See the droves of well dressed, drunken bodies littering the city's subways and pavements every morning.

@home cafe - CyberBiz - Manager Online

Gucci Celebration Party at Le Baron Tokyo | HYPEBEAST

and Sarajevo

klixstatic

Looks so much fun!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Fun and Singapore in the same sentence :d:d:d
Is it that bad? I don't know as i've never been, but my cousin who's been on honeymoon there loved it and it's known all over the world because of its diversity, dining scene and shopping, so i assumed it had a good clubbing scene, does it? I forgot about Madrid, Berlin and Amsterdam so i'd put them in the list now. I also had forgot about the fact that it's practically impossible to get high there due to their laws which prevent the smuggling of any kind of drug and the fact it seems quite expensive

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Is it that bad? I don't know as i've never been, but my cousin who's been on honeymoon there loved it and it's known all over the world because of its diversity, dining scene and shopping, so i assumed it had a good clubbing scene, does it? I forgot about Madrid, Berlin and Amsterdam so i'd put them in the list now. I also had forgot about the fact that it's practically impossible to get high there due to their laws which prevent the smuggling of any kind of drug and the fact it seems quite expensive
Singapore is sterile!

best cities for fun are

MADRID: 30, 000 bars, and a nightlife that DOES NOT STOP

BUDAPEST underrated, the new berlin, while berlin turn into some hipster hole

TEL AVIV

BUENOS AIRES

RIO DE JANEIRO

IBIZA

SEOUL

those people saying sydney, vancouver, san diego etc. are amateurs

Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Singapore is sterile!

best cities for fun are

MADRID: 30, 000 bars, and a nightlife that DOES NOT STOP

BUDAPEST underrated, the new berlin, while berlin turn into some hipster hole

TEL AVIV

BUENOS AIRES

RIO DE JANEIRO

IBIZA

SEOUL

those people saying sydney, vancouver, san diego etc. are amateurs
Ah ok, but i wouldn't call Ibiza a city, otherwise it would have been already in my list, are Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires really part of the developed world? Budapest is a bit of a surprise, i had no idea it was that fun! I had thought about putting Tel Aviv in the list, seems a pretty happening place.
What about Amsterdam?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Ah ok, but i wouldn't call Ibiza a city, otherwise it would have been already in my list, are Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires really part of the developed world? Budapest is a bit of a surprise, i had no idea it was that fun! I had thought about putting Tel Aviv in the list, seems a pretty happening place.
What about Amsterdam?
Amsterdam is cool, but I think it offers nothing other cities don't offer, it does have awesome museums and pretty canals, and it is very happening but the city is relatively small and not everyone is into drugs or red light district.

In the US the most fun I would imagine would have to be New orleans (its latin character, I don't mean latin as in mexican) latin as in roman catholic-spain/france colonial roots-caribbean-jazz-afro probably makes for a pretty cool place!!!

I also found NYC to be fun, but a bit pretensious.... you have to get out of manhattan full of snobs and into queens or brooklin to see the real NYC

Old 02-17-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Amsterdam is cool, but I think it offers nothing other cities don't offer, it does have awesome museums and pretty canals, and it is very happening but the city is relatively small and not everyone is into drugs or red light district.

In the US the most fun I would imagine would have to be New orleans (its latin character, I don't mean latin as in mexican) latin as in roman catholic-spain/france colonial roots-caribbean-jazz-afro probably makes for a pretty cool place!!!

I also found NYC to be fun, but a bit pretensious.... you have to get out of manhattan full of snobs and into queens or brooklin to see the real NYC
I asked about Amsterdam because one of my friend goes there on vacation for his 18th birthday, i'm sure he will find it fun, since he's high more often than not. Miami has the reputation in Italy as being a clubbing city,
but is it? From what i've heard so far, it doesn't seem nowhere near as fun as it's made out to be, but i might be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World