U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 AM

24,257 posts, read 20,818,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
To those who live in countries where you have to be a native-born citizen to be the head of state - what's the reasoning behind that law?
After 700 years of foreign head of states, a natural-born citizen is considered as a "life insurance" for the nation's independence. As the president is the supreme commander of the military, formerly had the right to dissolve the government and is the head of foreign policy as well, it's assured that the loyalty of the president lies with Finland and Finland only. Say if the president would be Dutch-Finnish and Finland would be in war with the Netherlands, would the president symphatize with his former home country openly or in secret?
Also with the law it becomes impossible for a foreign government to install a "puppet president", who's loyalty would be with the installer's country, like Germany, Sweden or Russia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,533,591 times
So, if the son of a Finnish/American diplomat is born abroad there is no chance of ever becoming President, because of the very nature of daddy's job?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So, if the son of a Finnish/American diplomat is born abroad there is no chance of ever becoming President, because of the very nature of daddy's job?
No, if the mother holds a Finnish passport at birth (despite being abroad), the child is given a Finnish nationality, and so the child is "natural born". If the mother holds only US citizenship at birth, gaining Finnish nationality only after, then it's impossible for the son to become president.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 AM

5,599 posts, read 9,023,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After 700 years of foreign head of states, a natural-born citizen is considered as a "life insurance" for the nation's independence. As the president is the supreme commander of the military, formerly had the right to dissolve the government and is the head of foreign policy as well, it's assured that the loyalty of the president lies with Finland and Finland only. Say if the president would be Dutch-Finnish and Finland would be in war with the Netherlands, would the president symphatize with his former home country openly or in secret?
Also with the law it becomes impossible for a foreign government to install a "puppet president", who's loyalty would be with the installer's country, like Germany, Sweden or Russia.
I understand a different perspective if you've had a history of foreign domination unlike us, but do you think the above is assured though? A law like that still wouldn't stop a native-born Quisling whose loyalties were elsewhere. Likewise, if any foreign country had the power to install a puppet president then presumably they would also have the power to ignore/rip up the constitution and nobody would be able to do anything about it, much like Vichy France.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I understand a different perspective if you've had a history of foreign domination unlike us, but do you think the above is assured though? A law like that still wouldn't stop a native-born Quisling whose loyalties were elsewhere. Likewise, if any foreign country had the power to install a puppet president then presumably they would also have the power to ignore/rip up the constitution and nobody would be able to do anything about it, much like Vichy France.
I don't think that. But the people who made the law in the 1910's apparently thought. And none has applied a "vichy" regime on us, so maybe the law IS working!

And I don't defend that law, I just stated the reasoning behind it. I would have no problem with an African-Finnish president.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I don't think that. But the people who made the law in the 1910's apparently thought. And none has applied a "vichy" regime on us, so maybe the law IS working!

And I don't defend that law, I just stated the reasoning behind it. I would have no problem with an African-Finnish president.
That's because you more or less applied it on yourselves first:

Paasikivi

Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
That's because you more or less applied it on yourselves first:

Paasikivi
Paasikivi was a staunch nationalist and well aware of the Soviet threat, and Kekkonen continued that policy. That guideline at the time was realistic and necessary, which also stimulated the Finnish economy. We had no choice with the Paasikivi-Kekkonen line, as you guys left us out in the cold twice, in 1940 and 1945. OK, Finland would've sided with Germany probably in any case, but maybe a miracle could've happened...

The Finlandization started only later, in late 60's and the 70's, and that was miserable and exaggerated. But even if our foreign policy was limited, we were able to keep our capitalist market economy, continue to have a monopoly on trade to the Soviet Union, and become a Nordic welfare state.

To throw the Paasikivi-Kekkonen line of appeasement and forced cooperation to my face is a bit unfair, I think. What choice did we have? Would the UK, France and Sweden gone to war to defend little Finland against the Soviet Union? Well definitely not.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Paasikivi was a staunch nationalist and well aware of the Soviet threat, and Kekkonen continued that policy. That guideline at the time was realistic and necessary, which also stimulated the Finnish economy. We had no choice with the Paasikivi-Kekkonen line, as you guys left us out in the cold twice, in 1940 and 1945. OK, Finland would've sided with Germany probably in any case, but maybe a miracle could've happened...

The Finlandization started only later, in late 60's and the 70's, and that was miserable and exaggerated. But even if our foreign policy was limited, we were able to keep our capitalist market economy, continue to have a monopoly on trade to the Soviet Union, and become a Nordic welfare state.

To throw the Paasikivi-Kekkonen line of appeasement and forced cooperation to my face is a bit unfair, I think. What choice did we have? Would the UK, France and Sweden gone to war to defend little Finland against the Soviet Union? Well definitely not.
I realise you had no choice, hence the "" to show I wasn't being all that serious. (Maybe would have gone down better?)

Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I realise you had no choice, hence the "" to show I wasn't being all that serious. (Maybe would have gone down better?)
History doesn't always go our way. Yeah, we had no choice in foreign policy, but the Finlandization and self-censorship that happened should and must be criticised, that was excessive.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,578,037 times
Benjamin Netanyahu was the first Israeli prime minister born in Israel, and only two of his nine predecessors were even born in the Middle East (Allon and Rabin, born in Palestine). Of the other seven, four were born in Russia, two in Poland and one in USA.

--------

King George II of Great Britain was born in Hanover, what is now Germany and what was then the Holy Roman Empire, in 1683.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-04-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World