U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM

613 posts, read 977,677 times

Advertisements

In the USA, obviously it is very important as it is in the Constitution. But still, some debate (though not much) revolves around the interpretation of it (born in the US, or born to US citizens?). I remember Schwarzenegger trying to get this changed, being Austrian-born. Also this is discussed a bit too in light of Ted Cruz, being Canadian-born, trying to run in the 2016 US election.

How about other countries? How many think it is OK if an immigrant becomes their president (or equivalent)? Is it ever controversial in other countries?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,255,691 times
If an immigrant can work hard enough, and has the best interests of my country, and his/her adoptive country at heart, I'd give him a shot at Prime Minister of Canada.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 PM

9,781 posts, read 17,733,296 times
Not in Australia. Our current PM, Tony Abbott, was born in England, and our former PM, Julia Gillard, was born in Wales. This is quite unusual in modern times, I'm trying to remember who the last foreign-born PM was. I think it was before Robert Menzies, over 70 years ago.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,981,098 times
Although they are not the official head of state, Australia has produced many prime ministers who were born in the UK including the last 2, a New Zealander and a Chilean have also become prime minister of Australia.

Of course, the official head of state is the King or Queen of England, so Australia has never actually had a natural born citizen as it's head of state.

Edit:
Sorry Postman typing same thing at same time.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-01-2014 at 11:57 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 PM

11,261 posts, read 14,255,691 times
I should note, our last PM who was not Canadian born, was John Turner, England.......and lasted 79 days.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,981,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not in Australia. Our current PM, Tony Abbott, was born in England, and our former PM, Julia Gillard, was born in Wales. This is quite unusual in modern times, I'm trying to remember who the last foreign-born PM was. I think it was before Robert Menzies, over 70 years ago.
It was John Gorton I think, he was PM from 1968-1971, born in Wellington NZ according to the national archives.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,480,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Although they are not the official head of state, Australia has produced many prime ministers who were born in the UK including the last 2, a New Zealander and a Chilean have also become prime minister of Australia.

Of course, the official head of state is the King or Queen of England, so Australia has never actually had a natural born citizen as it's head of state.

Edit:
Interestingly enough though, the constitution doesn't actually refer to any position as head of state. Here's one perspective on it:

AUSTRALIA'S CONSTITUTION: The Governor-General is our head of state (Sir David Smith)

Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Edit:
Yes, although Watson was born in Chile he was of Anglo parentage and wasn't culturally Hispanic. He left at a young age and grew up in New Zealand. It's still an interesting bit of trivia.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 AM

Speaking of which Western Australia is the only state to has not been the birthplace of a PM, although several have held seats here, most notably John Curtin. Kim Beasly was the most recent West Aussie opposition PM I can think of.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,480,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, although Watson was born in Chile he was of Anglo parentage and wasn't culturally Hispanic. He left at a young age and grew up in New Zealand. It's still an interesting bit of trivia.

Its funny how many of Australia's early politicians seem to have had issues remembering some pretty basic details of their origins. I thought only King O'Malley had that problem, but it seems Chris Watson did too: Chris Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World