Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dLocations.svg

This is a map showing all the countries where McDonald's operates franchises with the date they began there.

In which countries have you had McDonalds, and what observations can you make. Of the countries I've been to, I've had McDonald's in:

Australia - Of course had it tons here. I think the new menu, range, and quality is among the better of the countries I've been to. Our beef is good, especially the angus, and the fries aren't usually soggy.

New Zealand - Don't remember much of it. Similar to here.

Singapore - Decent.

Malaysia - Decent. Some interesting things like satay burger and 'McRice.'

China - Had a quarter pounder meal, tasted pretty much the same as here. Most memorable experience was trying to use a phrasebook to order in Mandarin.

Taiwan - Pretty good and cheap considering Taiwan feels like a first world country.

United States - Had McDonald's once in Manhattan. Got the 'two cheeseburgers' which I thought was funny. Notable because most people working there old minorities not teenagers like here.

UAE - Had a sausage McMuffin and it was weird: meat looked like a pale colour, I don't think it was beef or anything resembling it. Not the best. The 'McArabia' and Arabic writing on the sign was interesting.

Italy - Had a burger meal, it was pretty sub-par, actually. Fries were meh.

Countries I've visited that have a McDonald's but I did not try it: UK, Sri Lanka, Thailand

Countries I've visited that don't have McDonald's: Vietnam

I'm not a huge Macca's junkie (btw is there a nickname for McDonald's in your country?) but I go now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dLocations.svg

btw is there a nickname for McDonald's in your country?)
De Mac.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Only one, and I passed on the opportunity.

My wife and I were hitching in Taiwan, and got a lift by an American nun who was showing her nephew around the island. He wanted to eat at McDonalds, so they went there, while we walked across the street and ate in the local Chinese market stall. That was my closest overseas McDonalds encounter.

I doubt if I've even eaten at a dozen McDs in the US, except to grab a cup of coffee, I usually opt for BK if I'm looking for that genre..

Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
China - The food was similar to the USA and the menu was in English and Chinese. Therefore one could just point to the item on the menu in order to order whatever you wanted.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,550 times
I tried McDonalds in:

Spain: a bit expensive, ketchup for free.
France: the same.
Germany: cheaper, more beverages.
Austria: any difference.
USA: Bigger menus and drinks, the cheapest, too many promotions. I remember the 20 McNuggets for 5USD They have also pizzas but maybe it was in BurgerKing. Not sure...
Thailand: also cheap, apart from the typical sauces we could have another one, very taste orange colour. I remember Ronald McDonald in the gate in Thai position, typical photo.
UK: I can't remember but anything special.
Czech Republic: big variety of desserts for 1€/ 1,36USD
Ireland: they had run out of ice creams lol. but that was just bad luck.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,455 times
The name is shortened as "McDo" here. Eaten there in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and the UK and didn't notice big differences but then again I don't overanalyze what I eat, especially there lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm not a huge Macca's junkie (btw is there a nickname for McDonald's in your country?) but I go now and then.
Manila in mid 80s: McDonalds in name only. They must have read about it and then tried it.

Tokyo in mid 80s: Good but extraordinarily expensive. A happy meal was USD $21.

Honolulu in early 70s: Very good noodles. Very first McDonalds allowed a menu variance for local palates.

Honolulu in late 90s: Still very good noodles.

Nickname: "Mickey Dees" in the US, even in some televised ads.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Apart from a couple of weird/unusual items (soup in HK and Portugal, lots of shrimp/squid in Korea), they were pretty much the same in every country I went to... I usually try to avoid them and only go there when I'm in a hurry.

What I noticed, though, is that pretty much every product only available for a limited amount of time left me disappointed... Special burgers are always quite expensive and usually not worth the hassle...
As a consequence, I tend to just eat a Royale with cheese

Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Apart from a couple of weird/unusual items (soup in HK and Portugal, lots of shrimp/squid in Korea), they were pretty much the same in every country I went to... I usually try to avoid them and only go there when I'm in a hurry.

What I noticed, though, is that pretty much every product only available for a limited amount of time left me disappointed... Special burgers are always quite expensive and usually not worth the hassle...
As a consequence, I tend to just eat a Royale with cheese
Interesting. I tend to love the limited offer items and am always disappointed when they're gone. I'm glad the Angus is a permanent fixture though!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I tried McDonalds in:

Spain: a bit expensive, ketchup for free.
France: the same.
Germany: cheaper, more beverages.
Austria: any difference.
USA: Bigger menus and drinks, the cheapest, too many promotions. I remember the 20 McNuggets for 5USD They have also pizzas but maybe it was in BurgerKing. Not sure...
Thailand: also cheap, apart from the typical sauces we could have another one, very taste orange colour. I remember Ronald McDonald in the gate in Thai position, typical photo.
UK: I can't remember but anything special.
Czech Republic: big variety of desserts for 1€/ 1,36USD
Ireland: they had run out of ice creams lol. but that was just bad luck.
Where was this McDonalds pizza that you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World