Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6226 View Post
Each to their own. Wearing shoes in the hoose is incredibly weird
Well, I do have "mud shoes" (it's what I call the shoes for working outside in the garden, in the garage, around the property... work shoes) that I slip on and slip off as needed. But regular shoes... no. Not unless they've gotten particularly dirty.

I'm not a neatnik, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
No I just leave them lying anywhere.. I really do not care about shows inside.
Where are they right now?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,199,011 times

Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Is that your bedroom? living room? kitchen?

Mine are either by the front door, in the foyer closet or out on the dick, no way would i find a shoe anywhere but those two places.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,199,011 times
It is in the hallway.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6226 View Post
This is my experience of the UK as well. We don't know anyone who doesn't expect their guests to remove their shoes.
My experience is the opposite, and I would never ask guests in my house to take their shoes off, nor would I want them to. Taking shoes off, to me, seems like they are inviting themselves to stay. If they are just popping around for a quick visit, it's a waste of time.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 17,801,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Alright, this topic might sound like a no-brainer but coming from an Asian country, I cannot cross the psychological threshold of stepping into the house with shoes on. If I'm done wearing shoes and had forgotten to take something from the bedroom, I would unlace those things or tip-toe as quick as I can to get whatever I need and tip-toe on the double back out!

The reason why I'm asking is because I watch American shows while growing up and all I remember are people who jump onto the bed with their shoes on. They'll then roll around on their pillows and duvets. And come nightfall, they sleep on the same bed.

How's it like where you live? Do you leave the shoes by the door when you enter the house or do you continue wearing them no matter how soiled they are?
I would never put my feet on a bed with shoes on. You can't judge real life by TV shows. Those actors are probably wearing brand new shoes just for that scene/character. The shoes likely aren't very dirty and the actors aren't actually sleeping in those beds.

If my shoes are visibly dirty (ie, if I've been walking in mud), I will take them off at the door. The other day I went for a walk in the Garden of the Gods and my shoes got covered in dirt - I would not take more than a couple steps passed the doorway before taking them off. And until I clean them, I will not walk through the house with them on. But with normal usage, I may walk around inside a little bit before taking them off, especially if I have groceries. I will walk into the kitchen and at least put my bags down before removing my shoes. Sometimes, I'll even put the groceries away. But then when I go to sit down and relax on the couch, I always take my shoes off because I like to pull my feet up on the couch and I would never put shoes on the couch.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Of all the Canadian homes I have been in, almost all of them required shoes to be off as soon as you step in the door. The few homes where we were allowed shoes on were all filthy inside, and not the nicest.

I am sure in most climates where they get snow it is a requirement of most home owners to take shoes off.
Ooh. Now this makes sense. Its not really a thing in Aus, depending on the person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I find it very rude and weird. I would actually leave if I was told to take my shoes off.
lol, that's a little extreme ! Its not weird at all.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,226,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Alright, this topic might sound like a no-brainer but coming from an Asian country, I cannot cross the psychological threshold of stepping into the house with shoes on. If I'm done wearing shoes and had forgotten to take something from the bedroom, I would unlace those things or tip-toe as quick as I can to get whatever I need and tip-toe on the double back out!

The reason why I'm asking is because I watch American shows while growing up and all I remember are people who jump onto the bed with their shoes on. They'll then roll around on their pillows and duvets. And come nightfall, they sleep on the same bed.

How's it like where you live? Do you leave the shoes by the door when you enter the house or do you continue wearing them no matter how soiled they are?
If I'm still wearing them by the time I get home (I usually drive in bare feet) I always slip off my shoes as soon as I get in (or leave them in the car) even though most of my house is tiled and the floors are easy to clean. If they are heavily soiled I'd leave them outdoors. Wearing any shoes into a carpeted bedroom would be a big no-no in our house .

I'm from the UK originally where people usually have carpeted hallways (to keep the drafts down) and very few people turn a hair at wearing shoes indoors. And when they're not wearing shoes they'll be wearing slippers, which will also get worn around in the garden, garage etc. Bare feet are considered very naff.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 PM

122 posts, read 216,535 times
Off for sure. My feet need to be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World