Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Culinary culture
Canada 8 61.54%
Australia 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,196 times

Advertisements

In terms of culinary, restaurants and chefs, which one is better, Canada or Australia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
I can't compare, but I honestly believe we have one of the most diverse, best scenes in the world (without hyperbole). Our 'native' cuisine isn't much to write home about, but in terms of diversity as well as fine dining, we have so much to choose from, and some of the most esteemed, dynamic, creative, exciting chefs in the world. Sydney and Melbourne are definitely 'foodie' cities.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I can't compare, but I honestly believe we have one of the most diverse, best scenes in the world (without hyperbole). Our 'native' cuisine isn't much to write home about, but in terms of diversity as well as fine dining, we have so much to choose from, and some of the most esteemed, dynamic, creative, exciting chefs in the world. Sydney and Melbourne are definitely 'foodie' cities.
It seems like Australia and Canada are probably in fairly similar places, something of a "break-out" phase that is leading to some exciting stuff happening.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyOyIn8 View Post
Canada without a doubt.
Based on what?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It seems like Australia and Canada are probably in fairly similar places, something of a "break-out" phase that is leading to some exciting stuff happening.
Yes I think so. Both also benefit from being very multicultural. I'm sure Toronto has some good eats, as well as Montreal, Vancouver.etc. Quebec has that French thing too that we lack.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 PM

284 posts, read 330,854 times
But we make up for that in bushtucker

Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Much larger and more diverse population, American/British English influence, French Canadian (Quebec) influence and culture, etc.
Okay, I see you've never been to Australia. Yeah we're all white, blonde-haired descendants of British and Irish convicts who just eat damper, meat and potatoes.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Australia does not have French culture and language which is enough telling us all that Canada wins on this without doubt.
There's more than French culture. Australia grows a lot more produce. We can grow tropical fruits, too. How you liking it freezing up there in your igloo anyway? lol

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I live 5 hours from Canadian border btw. Western Canada (Vancouver/British Columbia) area has pretty mild winters and above freezing actually. Southern Canada where vast majority of Canadians live have 4 distinct seasons. Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec has warmer summers than Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. I love 4 seasons.

How does it feel like living in an isolated island country far from everywhere, driving on wrong side of the road, sharks in oceans, opposite seasons and no snow in Christmas?

Nearly 40 million people live in Canada vs only 23 million in Australia which tells me which new world nation is more popular
In Perth we're 3-4 hours from Bali, cheap, delicious food, 5 hours from Singapore and within 8 hours of all of SEA. Canada has Mexico which, while cool, is more homogeneous. Vancouver is basically 11 hours to anywhere even OUTSIDE of North America, if you wanna talk about isolated lol. As a percentage more people here are born overseas than in Canada, so we get all kinds of cuisines. Give me our mild winters where one can often go around in a T-shirt rather than your severe winters where people would die without heating or shelter. Sharks? lol. More people are killed by bears than sharks a year. Snow on Christmas might be nice, but I think we can live without it...nor do we have to contend with hazardous icy roads. Australia really is the lucky country, I'm glad I live here instead of an icebox like Canada.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Toronto and Montreal (Eastern half of Canada) where most people live are only 5-8 hours flight from Europe and Middle East, an hour from New England/NYC, 3-4 hours from the Caribbean/Tropical regions/Mexico/Central America. Indeed only 1-1.5 hrs drive from the US border.

Canada is much larger than Australia, more diverse and more rich in culture and its proximity to the US.
Australia is nice but too far away and crappy lifestyle.
Much larger? Considering most people live within 100 miles of the US border in a strip I'd say the actual inhabitable area is pretty small. I'd say Australia is similar but we're a bit more spread out. More diverse and rich in culture? Aside from maybe Quebec Canada is not much different to Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World