Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Dollhouse (spanish subtitles) - YouTube

Dunno if any of you have seen this film. I know bullying happens worldwide, but I was surprised to hear some people said they had similar experiences to this girl. Maybe it's the school I went to, but I always couldn't really related to the depictions of bullying in American TV/movies, it seemed exaggerated/excessive...anyway, this isn't about bullying, but about America and Americans being more judgemental in general than a lot of other nationalities.

Another 'anecdotal' example is that American tourists, more specifically the younger ones, often seem arrogant, reserved, and sort of bitchy. Maybe it's the group/pack mentality, as they're always travelling in groups. I've met nice Americans, to be sure, but one gets the feeling they think they're superior.etc.

Also it just seems American culture is pretty superficial, materialistic, and judgemental towards people for whatever reason, even what they wear.

It's not intended to bash America or Americans, I have a lot of American friends and people are generally alike the world over, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM

12,901 posts, read 18,751,931 times
In America the word judgmental has only one e.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
How about we start with how would Australia differ in this regard? Do you feel Australians are less judgmental than Americans? If yes, than how so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Dunno if any of you have seen this film. I know bullying happens worldwide, but I was surprised to hear some people said they had similar experiences to this girl. Maybe it's the school I went to, but I always couldn't really related to the depictions of bullying in American TV/movies, it seemed exaggerated/excessive...anyway, this isn't about bullying, but about America and Americans being more judgemental in general than a lot of other nationalities.

Another 'anecdotal' example is that American tourists, more specifically the younger ones, often seem arrogant, reserved, and sort of bitchy. Maybe it's the group/pack mentality, as they're always travelling in groups. I've met nice Americans, to be sure, but one gets the feeling they think they're superior.etc.

Also it just seems American culture is pretty superficial, materialistic, and judgemental towards people for whatever reason, even what they wear.

It's not intended to bash America or Americans, I have a lot of American friends and people are generally alike the world over, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:

Welcome to the Dollhouse (spanish subtitles) - YouTube

I'll judge all Australians as dumb because one person on a message board is trying to make a generalization about Americans from a youtube video.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'll judge all Australians as dumb because one person on a message board is trying to make a generalization about Americans from a youtube video.
Okay forget the video...I guess they're rather defensive about looking at themselves too, I see.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I don't understand the relationship between being judgemental and bullying.

I wonder if what you're getting at is that being a ''loser'' is looked-down upon quite severely in the US than in other countries.

If that's the case then I would say this is probably true - it's likely worse being a ''loser'' (however you want to define that) in the US than in most western societies because the US is such a success-oriented place.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't understand the relationship between being judgemental and bullying.

I wonder if what you're getting at is that being a ''loser'' is looked-down upon quite severely in the US than in other countries.

If that's the case then I would say this is probably true - it's likely worse being a ''loser'' (however you want to define that) in the US than in most western societies because the US is such a success-oriented place.
Yes, that's what I forgot to mention. The epithet 'loser' seems common in American schools, and is reflective of America's very competitive society. It seems people who are unemployed or work low jobs are looked down upon there more than here.

Well bullies tend to judge and give people grief over those they judge.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I forgot to mention. The epithet 'loser' seems common in American schools, and is reflective of America's very competitive society. It seems people who are unemployed or work low jobs are looked down upon there more than here.

Well bullies tend to judge and give people grief over those they judge.
there are countless bullying stories from australia.

you really sound like a 40 year old dude in their parents basement judging stereotypes of a country.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
there are countless bullying stories from australia.

you really sound like a 40 year old dude in their parents basement judging stereotypes of a country.

No I'm not! I'm a 27 year old dude in his parent's basement lol jk, nah I've moved out now, but yeah, just wondered if anyone had the same observations.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

They're "always" travelling in groups...except the ones who travel solo, or as a couple. Maybe you don't notice those, because individuals are quieter than groups? I know a number of 20-something women who travel alone, and they're nothing like you describe. They tend to make a lot of friends among locals when they travel, because they're warm, friendly and interesting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World