U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,368,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

Yes I know its cold but so is Cananda, Alaska, Russia, Iceland, Greenland, etc!
Im not saying live near the south pole, too cold but perhaps near the ocean where summers are above freezing and winters are probably similar to north Alaska?
Don't get to desperate NAH.......I hear they are experiencing a bubble there too!! lol

Last edited by shannon94; 10-22-2006 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: sp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,655,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
When they refused to build a Dunkin' Donuts there, I tore up my moving plans. No Dunkin' Donuts, no Antarctic MoMark.

Seriously...I'm suffering in Southwest Missouri where this month as been unusually cold. It's 45F outside at 2:36pm and the days seem to be alternating between low forties to high fifties when we should be 70F or more. I have the heater running right now and am thinking about lying over a floor vent with a blanket over me to capture the warmth. I can't imagine having to live in the sub-zero (by 100F) of somewhere like Antarctica! Even if they really did have a Dunkin' Donuts, though...that would lessen the misery momentarily
You beat me to it. I agree I could not live anywhere without a Dunkin Donuts. Where we are moving in Tucson I will have to drive 10 miles for a DD instead of right on the corner here in NJ. (oh and I will drive the 10 miles)

Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,841,013 times
Thumbs up Job In Antartic

Anyboby wants 41,030.9 US Dollar

Marine Geologist/Geophysicist (West Antarctic)
Qualifications: We are looking for a marine geologist/geophysicist with experience of processing and interpreting multibeam echo sounding, sub-bottom acoustic and seismic reflection data. You should have a Master’s degree or PhD in Earth sciences and good written and oral communication skills. Experience of marine geosciences research cruises will be an advantage. You will have the skills required to integrate results from different types of data to interpret glacial and sedimentary processes that have operated on the Antarctic continental shelf, slope and rise. The ability to work supportively and constructively in a closely-knit team is an essential requirement.

Duration: The contract is a fixed term appointment for a period of 21 months.

Salary: Salary will be in the range of £21,780 to £26,900 per annum. We offer a generous benefits package including a final salary pension scheme, free car parking, flexible working hours and 30 days annual leave.

21,780 British Pound = 41,030.9 US Dollar

Old 10-22-2006, 06:47 PM

450 posts, read 1,900,544 times
Wink If cold in Southwest Missouri, come to Toledo Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
When they refused to build a Dunkin' Donuts there, I tore up my moving plans. No Dunkin' Donuts, no Antarctic MoMark.

Seriously...I'm suffering in Southwest Missouri where this month as been unusually cold. It's 45F outside at 2:36pm and the days seem to be alternating between low forties to high fifties when we should be 70F or more. I have the heater running right now and am thinking about lying over a floor vent with a blanket over me to capture the warmth. I can't imagine having to live in the sub-zero (by 100F) of somewhere like Antarctica! Even if they really did have a Dunkin' Donuts, though...that would lessen the misery momentarily
Hey, MoMark! Load up those cats and come down to Toledo Bend lake country. I have a lake house on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Beautiful country but just too cold. That is why I am down on Toledo Bend--South of Shreveport--looking at land. There are job opportunities down here. Best of all it is really cheap and your cats would love it! Lots of little critters to distract them and the climate is much milder. Kurt

Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,333,027 times
It doesnt get much below zero(or does it?) in the coast of Antarctica. The closer to the south pole, the colder.(also due to elevation) The problem is more the fact Antarctica is rural and if development were to start, it would be decades before schools, hospitals, stores, houses, etc to be built. The cost wouldnt be cheap because theres no trees locally so much of the materials would need to be shipped. It wouldnt be profitable to start development in Antarctica. Possible yes, profitable no. Much of the development appears to be in an already established location or right next to said location. Do you agree?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Did you check base Jubany? If my eyes havent decieved me, its 54 degrees but expected to cool to 39 the next day then warm up again. I checked the past history and it doesnt seem to get colder than -10 and can get over 50 degrees. Thats mild enough weather for humans to live, heck Des Moines, IA and many other northward states can get to -10 too! I read some more and there are mild parts of Antarctica that have a winter low of only -20 or -30, this is not any worse than Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,650,254 times
Well, the Arctic will probably have to fill up first. Also, I will not go where there is not a Starbucks! Yuppie me...........

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 AM

29,042 posts, read 47,324,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
You beat me to it. I agree I could not live anywhere without a Dunkin Donuts. Where we are moving in Tucson I will have to drive 10 miles for a DD instead of right on the corner here in NJ. (oh and I will drive the 10 miles)
We don't have Dunkin Donuts around here... and being from the east coast originally, I do know what I'm missing. Every time I go to Massachusetts (to visit relatives about once a year), DD is my very first stop! OMG, the vanilla creme, boston creme & strawberry w/ sprinkles are to die for. We have a few Krispy Kreme stores in this area, but they just don't compare!

Back to the original topic, I've always been fascinated with Antarctica, but wouldn't exactly want to live there. It was 19 degrees where I stayed the other night (the town of Fairfield), and I was dying from the cold... so 115 below? No thanks! I think NAH meant to ask why we don't develop that area, since it's obvious there's no civilization there now - but even then, it wouldn't be a desireable environment for most people. I plan to visit it one day, but even if houses cost $1000, don't expect me to purchase anything.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 PM

LOL it doesnt get -115 except in the south pole or on an ice mountain. Coastal Antarctica is mild, im supprised why theres no development yet. It doesnt get any colder than MT, ND or MN. Sure the summers are mild and cool but so are the winters.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM

122 posts, read 365,963 times
Quote:
It gets to -114 degrees in the winter...that creates problems...
Oh my God! That's almost as cold as Fairbanks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World