U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,130,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
The reason a lot more people don't live in Antarctica is simple, in a word "Fuel".

It is a nightmare place for logistics. Most supplies must be stored underground, even fuel. The entire place is all about energy and usually the lack of it.

The US tried to build and operate a small nuclear power station. Sort of bouched the job but it is a tough environment for anything man made. But they have used "Nuclear Pigs". Using fossil fuels requires a lot of effort. The more people the more fuel.

It is not just the scienitific staffs but the grunt folks that support them. The support people make up the bulk of the US teams. Cooks, mechanics, techs, etc. Couple thousand

A lot of people go down for the "Summer Season". Tourists, support people, supply vessels, etc. The trick is to keep all the logistics contained in ships to support the additional people. Only the critical people "Winter Over". There are days where no travel in or out is possible. Lot of Navy and Air Force folks go, there is a ribbon / medal if you stay as part of the Winter Over team.

Another sort of problem is the weird things that happen at the Poles to electronics, signals, data, etc. Your little duplex with 1 bath would need pretty hardened gear, especially in things like communications. Probably be the highest cost of living area in the World. Just your fuel bill would eat up your paycheck. All your garbage would have to be removed. Longest garbage route in the World.

In a word it is all about logistics. No outside gardening, can't shoot them fellows in the Tux's. Maybe a little ice fishing. Probably lots of folks with bad cases of Cabin Fever.

Many nations have a pernanent staff at the Antarctica. For the USA about 3000 max for the winter over season. No little brick duplexes or town houses, down in the bunker for everybody. It is all about keeping the fuel consumption down. Oil is king.
This is actually a very interesting and informative thread. I've seen documentaries about it and how easily your skin can freeze there, but I really had no idea that as many as 3,000 people from the U.S. are stationed there over the winter. Wonder if the scientists and others have to draw straws to see who gets stuck being there?

Kurt, you're so lucky Grand Lake is absolutely beautiful. We were there this autumn. Beautiful lake and beautiful scenery in that area.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-10-2007 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: addition
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,862,022 times
Take a look at the following site, lots of construction in the South Pole...

http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/oldissu...rontframe.html

Old 04-03-2007, 04:40 AM

19 posts, read 80,261 times
i think that researchers live there for like 3 months of the year but really... there are no roads, hospitals, daycares, jobs, electricity (outside of generators and such) and the wind chill and ice stops you from leaving for like 6 months of the year.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,892 times
those sky pigs bring bad memories i did 4 6month tours to the ice. those reservists dang near killed me at byrd surface camp. allmost landed on me!its a 11 hour flight on a c130 in net seats packed in like sardines. there are only 1000 people during winterover. antarctic treaty forbid any perminant structures.hunting or mining.every thing is on concrete blocks.the only place where it gets warm is on the pennisula near palmer station. in a glacier near mcmurdo shows a black line dating back to when dinosaurs died. did some ice coring with a college professors at byrd and the million year old ice will last all night in your drink and it snap crackles and pops from the compressed air when it melts. dont think i caught any ancient diseases im still alive 14years later.

Last edited by ALAN0225; 10-20-2007 at 02:10 AM..

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 AM

3,427 posts, read 8,584,689 times
Wow Alan you dug up an old thread started by the famous "NAH". I even read a post here by CD eternal member MoMark from earlier this year before he passed away. The interesting thing is that you are the only person that posted to this thread that has actually spent a significant amount of time way down there at the bottom of the earth. If you have some photos to share, it would be neat if you could post them to this thread or start a new one. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 AM

40 posts, read 115,237 times
Um.. well, if a weather guy have to tell you why that you can't live in Antarctica, it would only be weather. Unlike most imagine, the Antarctica fields no plantation at all even at the coastline, and the coastline is (usually) steep with ice and rock mounting up to few hundred feet. The weather, is well below freezing point even in the hottest season, and severe snow storms that would be quite a disaster for the northern Europe and Alaska visit regularly. Wind at any time might surpass 60mph with hurries of snow with it. There is no, and almost impossible at the current technology level for this land to become productive and hospitable, although some suggests that Antarctica might be rich with petroleum and coal. Currently, the only inhabitant (Science researcher doesn't count) of Antarctica is a handful (about 20 household or so) from Chile, settled there for political reasons, for that Chile is trying to claim a part of Antarctica its.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,121 times
If you had a power outage, you would freeze to death before anyone could fix it.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,121 times
for everyone that asks, Google. If it were more civilized, I'd actually like to live there. I was just looking up random places to put on my facebook and was surprised anyone ever lived in Antarctica. I thought it was just all snow. I didn't even know animals lived there.

p.s. everyone gets some rep because you are all cool.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,752,749 times
Need-Affordable -Home is quite right : did you know there are already small Chilean, Argentinian, Peruvian towns (with stores, schools, indoor swimming pools and even...MILITARY BASES ) on the Antarctica Peninsula?
Theses south american countries, very chauvinistic, make efforts to colonize that "temperate" northern part of Antarctica (a lenghty peninsula that stretches in direction of the south american continent)and this in complete violation of the 1959 Antarctic Treaty which "freezes" all national territorial revendications South of the 60°S parallel.(notice the northernmost part of the Peninsula touches the 60°S).
The attitude of France is also very ambiguous : although there are only one French and one ITALIAN:FRENCH bases in Antarctica, on the official French maps terre adélie is part of France like other overseas territories, and in school it is teached it is part of France, which is a clear violation of the Antarctic Treaty.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,764,346 times
I haven't had time to read all the replies, but I believe the real answer is that all the territory of Antactica is under the jurisdiction of some country or other, and none of those countries will issue a residence permit to any person who wants to stay there unsupervised. There is no way to get there except A) in an authrized group with a permit to remain for a specified time, or B) get dropped off by an unauthorized ship or plane. It is quite possible that there are homesteaders living there under such circumstances, but their number would be very small and certainly unknown, and they would be evicted if the relevant government know of their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World