Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 PM

35 posts, read 86,996 times

Advertisements

To be honest I'm glad I came across this thread. Personally I think every advantage should be taken and resource exercised to see how we could potentially set a permanent establishment there; not necessarily claiming for it for an individual nation but as the country of Antarctica. I mean there are many issues that arise with doing it but look at the extremes we are going to to see how we can populate Mars or the Moon? Antarctica is a frozen desert yes, but the coast areas do have two types of grass and the vegetation is becoming more wide spread. Hell I even just looked up the current weather conditions for Antarctica and in one area along the peninnsula is over 40 degrees (F) and the highest ever recorded temperature was 56. It would cost a crap ton of money to do this but it's completely do-able, obviously since there are already permanent stations there, and being a graduate Architecture student I think we should seriously consider this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,552,822 times
what a preposterous thread. And the best part is... Even this thread has generated some debate. I seriously love C-D

As for settling in Antarctica as some of you have suggested... You do look forward to seeing the ship sink, don't you?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
I'm going to try a serious reply with a few main points:

Many of the most northerly settlements may be incredibly cold and comparable in climate to the warmest parts of coastal Antarctica, but there were actual population pressures (invasions, overpopulation of places where resources were already scarce) to create these settlements. Along with these population pressures though, there was still enough boons to keep these communities viable such as contiguous masses of land to warmer and more populated parts of the world which would allow for trading, immigration, emigration, and even migrating herds of animals to slaughter and use. Up to the current day, these places still have these advantages as well as being necessary to their respective sovereign states for both scientific and military purposes. Meanwhile, Antarctica has no established history of settlement, much greater isolation (with no land connection whatsoever), little military purpose, no population pressures that would make anyone choose Antarctica over other more favorable locations, and a treaty that prevents any nation from developing any industries.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
When they refused to build a Dunkin' Donuts there, I tore up my moving plans. No Dunkin' Donuts, no Antarctic MoMark.

Seriously...I'm suffering in Southwest Missouri where this month as been unusually cold. It's 45F outside at 2:36pm and the days seem to be alternating between low forties to high fifties when we should be 70F or more. I have the heater running right now and am thinking about lying over a floor vent with a blanket over me to capture the warmth. I can't imagine having to live in the sub-zero (by 100F) of somewhere like Antarctica! Even if they really did have a Dunkin' Donuts, though...that would lessen the misery momentarily
Gives a new meaning to 'iced' donuts!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffma View Post
To be honest I'm glad I came across this thread. Personally I think every advantage should be taken and resource exercised to see how we could potentially set a permanent establishment there; not necessarily claiming for it for an individual nation but as the country of Antarctica. I mean there are many issues that arise with doing it but look at the extremes we are going to to see how we can populate Mars or the Moon? Antarctica is a frozen desert yes, but the coast areas do have two types of grass and the vegetation is becoming more wide spread. Hell I even just looked up the current weather conditions for Antarctica and in one area along the peninnsula is over 40 degrees (F) and the highest ever recorded temperature was 56. It would cost a crap ton of money to do this but it's completely do-able, obviously since there are already permanent stations there, and being a graduate Architecture student I think we should seriously consider this.
I wouldn't mind starting my own country, but be realistic: at best it'd have to resemble how the Natives of the Arctic survived...fishing and even whaling would be the only practical food/supply sources, maybe greenhouses could be done t grow a little but heating them would be a major issue...

I see no reason to make a modern country there and harm the environment.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 PM

274 posts, read 859,955 times
I seconed the .............. "duh"

Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
I'm not willing to look through but South Georgia Island, in that part of the world, is fascinating in that it had its own town but now has no permanent inhabitants.

the island - South Georgia Website

I think there might be ways to make a settlement on Antarctica profitable, but its distance from other land-masses and harsh conditions might make that difficult. Also there's international treaties that I think discourage it.

Still the idea of people in Antarctica has been bandied about on occasion. There's The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica and the century old Russian story "The Republic of the Southern Cross."

Amazon.com: The birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica (9780385278119): John Calvin Batchelor: Books
THE REPUBLIC OF THE SOUTHERN CROSS (1907, 1918 ed.) by Valery Bryusov

Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM

114 posts, read 200,029 times
But there's already 2 Schools in Anartica! You know children have been born and lived in Anartica. So don't complain.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,320,747 times
It would be extremely expensive to run a country in Antarctica. It is already very hard to work on the upkeep of station building simply because it is too expensive. Unless there is a huge supply of money and the earth warms up more I don't think Antarctica will support permanent residents in our lifetime.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,446 times
Default There are residents!

I've heard that there is 600 residents in a hidden town. It is supposedly the unofficial capital, by the name of New Bristol, Antarctica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World