Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think the people who hate their own country are the same people who cheer for their home teams biggest rivals...
Usually I just don't care who wins, but I tend to hope the underdog wins, no matter who that is.
I don't feel like I have a home country, nor a home team. I am simply lacking that tribalism thingy I suppose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,455,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In my opinion it's a bit sad when people sign up for such reasons. Actually, like elections not signing up could be used as a way to show the government it is on the wrong track.
Maybe that is why those professional military recruiters try to win over people when they are still very young as they don't have the insight into politics and morals, yet.

No way. You think they are on the wrong track, you make your voice heard and vote them OUT.

I don't think that works for the military either. You don't agree, noone signs up, your country and the people within it are defenseless when someone comes knocking due to a select few's poor foreign policy.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
No way. You think they are on the wrong track, you make your voice heard and vote them OUT.

I don't think that works for the military either. You don't agree, noone signs up, your country and the people within it are defenseless when someone comes knocking due to a select few's poor foreign policy.
Well, you can't really vote them out because the mighty people behind the scenes (secret services, MIC, etc.) don't depend on elections. That is why it didn't really matter who was president in the past, either. There were conflicts all the time, both under Democratic and Republican presidents. I would never waste my life as cannon fodder for any country...

Defenseless? Against whom? Countries that don't make enemies are not attacked. Look at Brazil, etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:21 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,674,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think the people who hate their own country are the same people who cheer for their home teams biggest rivals...
A very astute observation, but "hate" may be too strong a word. How about "realistic cynicism"! So glad the Broncos beat the Pats last week, BTW, and I live in Boston!

Kudos to all of the posters on this thread! This is one of the more erudite ones I've read. Just when I was about to give up on City-Data forums (based on the generally sophomoric tone to threads), this comes along. It's been a very interesting read, however much I may agree or disagree with different posters.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,692,345 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? In most countries 9/11 would have been even less of a problem. Why? Because unlike the US, which tends to wage its wars abroad, most of the world has much more recent memories of war and destruction. In the US however people live like in a dream world, unaware of what is going on in the world all the time. They may hear about it in the news, but don't really get it.
Not to mention that 9/11 was the US' own fault, the answer to decades of abysmal foreign politics...
I'm not talking about war and politics after 9/11 even though it can be hard to separate the two. IN MY OWN PERSONAL VIEW, I was mainly talking about our economy and the rebuilding of the trade center site. The heart of our financial center was hit hard and the seat of our military (pentagon) was hit hard also. The 9/11 attacks hurt our economy big time and many lives were lost. Our economy seems to be on the right track now and getting better and still the world largest, the world trade site is going along just fine and the pentagon was back up and running in hardly no time at all. This country was shut down for days and it left a huge hole in the economy. you can have the political side of things, I was sent to Iraq in march 2003 and my ship was loaded with missiles, I was there when it started. Our economy prove to be very resilient after all was said and done.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm not talking about war and politics after 9/11 even though it can be hard to separate the two. IN MY OWN PERSONAL VIEW, I was mainly talking about our economy and the rebuilding of the trade center site. The heart of our financial center was hit hard and the seat of our military (pentagon) was hit hard also. The 9/11 attacks hurt our economy big time and many lives were lost. Our economy seems to be on the right track now and getting better and still the world largest, the world trade site is going along just fine and the pentagon was back up and running in hardly no time at all. This country was shut down for days and it left a huge hole in the economy. you can have the political side of things, I was sent to Iraq in march 2003 and my ship was loaded with missiles, I was there when it started. Our economy prove to be very resilient after all was said and done.

I'd have to agree with that.

And thanks for your service, ipaper.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Again, the only problem was psychological, because Americans aren't used to see their own land bombed for a change. Economically it was peanuts...

Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times
Quote:
Defenseless? Against whom? Countries that don't make enemies are not attacked. Look at Brazil, etc.

Tell that to France, Poland or Kuwait

Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Tell that to France, Poland or Kuwait

Or......you know lol

Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,692,345 times
Quote:
Again, the only problem was psychological, because Americans aren't used to see their own land bombed for a change. Economically it was peanuts...
I agree that it was psychological as well, but I wouldn't say it was peanuts economically. Google 9/11 impact on the us economy and then tell me if that was peanuts. over 40 billion dollars in insurance losses, 430,000 jobs were lost in nyc area alone and 2.8 billion in lost wages over three months, tourism and air traffic tanked across the country just to name a very few things. Not to mention the ripple effect around the world as stock markets around the globe tanked in the days after 9/11. So I wouldn't exactly say the economy was peanuts, people were hurting out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World