Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,817,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I haven't been to Australia, but since my Chinese visa requires I enter and exit every 90 days, I may go ahead and hop a plane down there You have a spare bed, or at least some space on the floor? A balcony?

Seriously though, after having met many Australians working in hospitality, having had one as one of my best friends since high school, and also having dated one briefly, the impression that I got is that Australia takes a lot of the best elements of American society and some of the best elements of European society and combines them at the same time that it extricates some of the more negative elements of both - much like Canada! Before any butthurt homers jump on me, I'm not saying that I think that Australia or Canada copied America at all. More like we share a common heritage as a British imperial colony, and despite the divergent directions we went, there are many similarities in our cultures.

I do love the US and I don't see any point in denying or glossing over that, but the combination of my meager international travel up to this point (England, Scotland, France, Canada, Mexico) and my extensive exposure to people from all over the world as well as my insatiable curiosity for other cultures and governments has certainly led me to be judicious in judging my country. There are huge problems here; there are areas with levels of poverty that are worse than nearly anywhere else in the developed world, though we are still very far from the developing world. You hear arguments from both sides of the American sociopolitical fence that are ill-informed and miss the mark; one is that we are on a visible slide to third world levels (no), and the other being that the developing world is safer, freer, happier, cleaner, and just generally better than we are (no).

I suppose that a big problem with the way that many Americans view themselves is that whenever it comes up in conversation that we aren't "the best" at everything, after some hemming and hawing back and forth, we start comparing our situation to that of developing nations or ones with horrifying human rights records as a defense... something I've never seen someone from continental Europe, or Australia, or Canada do.
Be my guest! We've got a comfy couch, I'm sure my housemates will be cool with it lol.

Hmmm, yes, sort of...culturally we're between the US and UK (with other influences) but physically we resemble the US: low-density housing, sprawling suburbs, car domination, but at least now we're changing, with more of an emphasis on more dense, liveable neighbours, transit and more interesting, human-friendly environments. We have a better welfare system, more of a sense of community, and more balanced economic system than the States, yet are stridently capitalistic at the same time. We weathered the GFC well, unemployment is low, and wages high. The climate is mild, there's plenty of space, and really it's a pretty safe place to live despite what others think.

Yes, the poverty in America does seem more noticeable and worse than here. Plus the crime rate. Many American cities seem rather dull, with only a few stand-outs that are interesting. Downtown Houston has less shopping and foot traffic than small cities in the UK or Europe like Oxford or Verona or Bruges.

Yes, the US is no longer the 'leader' in a sense...the rest of the world is catching up, or exceeding it. When I first arrived in LA I was struck by how 'retro' it seemed, actually, although I kind of liked that.

I'm surprised you haven't been to Asia yet since you seem to talk quite a bit about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Or fascists

Yes I see it very often.
Yea I dont understand what is wrong with liking your own country. lol.

I'll say things like "Yeah I love it here" "I love this" "I love that"
But people on this forum think I'm some sort of crazy redneck

Yee haw

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,441,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea I dont understand what is wrong with liking your own country. lol.

I'll say things like "Yeah I love it here" "I love this" "I love that"
But people on this forum think I'm some sort of crazy redneck

Yes haw
^^ Can't even be a proper redneck, much less an American. It's "yee haw!"

You must hate your country! COMMUNIST!!!

Personally, I LOVE, Canada. Love it, love it, love it. Of course, to each their own. If you live here and actually hate it, that's your choice.

Government stinks, though.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ Can't even be a proper redneck, much less an American. It's "yee haw!"

You must hate your country! COMMUNIST!!!

Welcome to the life of an iPad owner

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,441,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Welcome to the life of an iPad owner

Oh, I know. I'm just teasin' ya, comrade.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM

667 posts, read 941,334 times
In Belarus, we have many people like that. But interesting fact is that I see them much more in internet, on different forums, than in real life. Those who are not happy with themselves and can't properly realize their potentials, tend to blame the country, government and so on.
Another thing is that people here usually compare our country only with the West. In movies, they see the Western life, they travel mostly to Europe. hardly anyone compares our country with the ones that are really poor -- and in fact there are many such places in the world, compared to which we live in a Paradise.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,658,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
I love my country, but i hate our government =/
I sort of feel that way too. Not the goverenment per say, but the people who make the rules and cheat the system while they take away from the average people. Exp: Cut military pay, but give raises to themselves, etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,932,201 times
I don't hate my country of birth (India) but there are many things I don't like about it or the people. I hate that they give me a negative reputation wherever I go, purely by association. I also dislike the fact that so many of them are racists who assume that because I look like them, I'm necessarily going to think, act and speak like them.

FWIW, I don't really believe I have a home country anymore. I've picked out all the nice things from my country of birth, my country of residence and various countries I've visited. All I need to do now is create a new country and put those things into practice

Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post

Guardian readers are a real pain, they seem to want to impose their left wing liberal agenda on everyone and are only happy when moaning about the country they live in. I should imagine that most of the British Post War Intelligence Service traitors were secret Guardian readers.
The funny thing is, I consider myself left of the political spectrum, socially speaking, but those Guardianistas still piss me off.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,540,476 times
I'd rather people who are super critical over their country than those who dance around all of its problems or take pride in it as if they did more than just be born in it.

I'm okay with Canada. It could be better, it could be a lot worse too. I think I could get along well in a few other countries, and there's nothing wrong or 'traitor' with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World