Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonISBACK View Post
I'm guessing those cities besides NYC are Seattle, Chicago, Philly and DC? Sydney is nice and all but most of these cities you listed have populations much much smaller than Sydney.
Well and SF. I haven't been to Seattle but it's probably not comparable to an Asian or European city of it's size (metro). Well Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, LA are all bigger by metro, Phoenix is similar, SD not too far behind...either way those first four trail way behind Sydney in urban vibrancy. Sydney probably gives Chicago a good run for it's money in that department. Even on weekday nights the city is pretty bustling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i lived overseas for 7 years. sweetest words i ever heard was us customs when i came back, welcome home huck.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,808 times
I do love my country generally. I don't like leaders and a way where it is going right now.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Well, I think it's a phase for a lot of people, and even though it's obnoxious, it's usually fine - as is the case with overboard patriotism or nationalism.

It seems like from what I've experienced, overboard or blind patriotism is more common in young men, while obsession with a foreign country is more common in young women. Young men are often subject to a culture that encourages patriotism from them, because historically men were almost exclusively the ones who made up the backbone of the labor, commercial, economic, and military forces - there was a clear incentive for men to grow up believing that their country was the strongest, smartest, luckiest, and most exceptional nation on earth. On these forums, we have US, Canadian, Chinese, and English boosters who go at it with varying degrees of tenacity and lucidity, and they're almost exclusively male.

I'd say that a much larger proportion of the people I know who take an "I hate it here, but I love England/Latin America/Canada/France/Ireland/Scandanavia/etc... I feel as though I was born in the wrong country and belong there" are young women who haven't actually been there. It's probably in large part a reaction to the unflatteringly blind patriotism that they see in their countrymen of the same age, spurred on with the American right wing's war on women's rights (which in all actuality isn't supported by most men). I remember when I was taking my Japanese classes in college, four different girls in the class who I had to pair up with on projects or to practice grammar said that they "felt Japanese" because of their affinity for anime and manga... even though two of them were white, and the other two were Hispanic. I have a close friend who feels the same way, and is pulling out all the stops in trying to move to Japan. I went to school with the aforementioned group who thought that Cuba was paradise on earth; most of them were girls. Interesting how that all works...

Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, I think it's a phase for a lot of people, and even though it's obnoxious, it's usually fine - as is the case with overboard patriotism or nationalism.

It seems like from what I've experienced, overboard or blind patriotism is more common in young men, while obsession with a foreign country is more common in young women. Young men are often subject to a culture that encourages patriotism from them, because historically men were almost exclusively the ones who made up the backbone of the labor, commercial, economic, and military forces - there was a clear incentive for men to grow up believing that their country was the strongest, smartest, luckiest, and most exceptional nation on earth. On these forums, we have US, Canadian, Chinese, and English boosters who go at it with varying degrees of tenacity and lucidity, and they're almost exclusively male.

I'd say that a much larger proportion of the people I know who take an "I hate it here, but I love England/Latin America/Canada/France/Ireland/Scandanavia/etc... I feel as though I was born in the wrong country and belong there" are young women who haven't actually been there. It's probably in large part a reaction to the unflatteringly blind patriotism that they see in their countrymen of the same age, spurred on with the American right wing's war on women's rights (which in all actuality isn't supported by most men). I remember when I was taking my Japanese classes in college, four different girls in the class who I had to pair up with on projects or to practice grammar said that they "felt Japanese" because of their affinity for anime and manga... even though two of them were white, and the other two were Hispanic. I have a close friend who feels the same way, and is pulling out all the stops in trying to move to Japan. I went to school with the aforementioned group who thought that Cuba was paradise on earth; most of them were girls. Interesting how that all works...
Hmmm I haven't noticed much of a gender difference. There are just as many hardcore patriots who are female as male, here at least. Pauline Hanson, the founder and former leader of One Nation, seems to represent that side of nationalism, and was often accused of being racist. In fact of racist incidents i've witnessed women represent just as much.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
I'm not in love with my own country (France), -it doesn't mean that I "hate" it, because somehow it would mean I'd hate myself-which seem to antagonize a lot of people on CD, who have an idealized opinion ("the grass is greener") of my country.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
As many people discussed about their countries in this thread, there are problems in every country and people should not be too proud to admit them. In fact, knowing that countries have good and bad points and looking at it in a fair way should actually help you help your country more. If you admit your country has both successes and problems, you can at least look at the problems and come up with solutions to them.

I find it really annoying how people use hatred for a country to refer to any kind of criticism of the way it is run currently and desire to change the status quo. This kind of thinking is just as bad as mindlessly idealizing other countries.

Loving your country should mean wanting what is best for it and its citizens, even if that means changing it in certain ways that make it different than it currently is.

Setting aside any political issues in particular but talking about changing a country in any way: why should those that like the current state or status quo be seen as more patriotic than those than want to propose any reforms to it? Countries don't stay the same over generations but adapt to the times.
That's exactly what makes countries either great or failures. Identifying the flaws and fixing them rather then sweeping them under some overworked carpet woven to resemble a flag.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,594,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This just seems weird to me, I see this a lot and most of the people I see that hate their own country the most and call people closed minded are typically the ones who have traveled the least.
Is this something you guys notice or see in your countries also?
Not necessarily,i think people who are well traveled are the one who have a good picture of their own countries compared to what they have seen elsewhere.
Usually it's not a hate feeling but a uneasy feeling about your country
I don't find weird at all,i think it's very healthy to criticize your own country if needs be.

Why do we find it morally acceptable when foreign nationals emigrate to western countries and weird when a westerner emigrates to China,Russia,India or any african countries for instance ?

Would you be proud of your country,if you're german in ww II ? would you be proud to be french if you were of algerian descend in 1954,that's why people emigrate to other countries, fleeing injustce,racisme,inequality,war,misery.
So i disagree with your comment.

Last edited by scobby; 01-13-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not necessarily,i think people who are well traveled are the one who have a good picture of their own countries compared to what they have seen elsewhere.
Usually it's not a hate feeling but a uneasy feeling about your country
I don't find weird at all,i think it's very healthy to criticize your own country if needs be.

Why do we find it morally acceptable when foreign nationals emigrate to western countries and weird when a westerner emigrates to China,Russia,India or any african countries for instance ?

Would you be proud of your country,if you're german in ww II ? would you be proud to be french if you were of algerian descend in 1954,that's why people emigrate to other countries, fleeing injustce,racisme,inequality,war,misery.
So i disagree with your comment.

I think you're missing the idea of my question. I criticize my country as much as anyone, but if you read some of the other comments on here you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the people who for some reason love the "culture" of countries they have never been to. Proclaim that the people are so much better, nicer and happier in one place than another.

No, I would think it is stupid if a Brasilian said that about the United States. I would think it is weird if a British person thought that was about Germany.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,594,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think you're missing the idea of my question. I criticize my country as much as anyone, but if you read some of the other comments on here you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the people who for some reason love the "culture" of countries they have never been to. Proclaim that the people are so much better, nicer and happier in one place than another.

No, I would think it is stupid if a Brasilian said that about the United States. I would think it is weird if a British person thought that was about Germany.
Ok,i got your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World