Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think you're missing the idea of my question. I criticize my country as much as anyone, but if you read some of the other comments on here you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the people who for some reason love the "culture" of countries they have never been to. Proclaim that the people are so much better, nicer and happier in one place than another.

No, I would think it is stupid if a Brasilian said that about the United States. I would think it is weird if a British person thought that was about Germany.
What are you talking about, the United States is probably the most 'stereotyped' country on the planet?! And are we any different in "idealizing" say, India's "spirituality" or Africa's "primitiveness", regardless whether we've been there or not?

BTW, a lot of folks here seem to forget that not everyone else in the world even enjoys the freedom to "hate" their country (aka, criticize and seek to improve it)!!

Credit: blogspot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
I don't hate my country, it's going in the right direction but it's just so...ugh. I sometimes feel like my country is made out of the west coast and the norhteast coast. Everything in between is suburbia

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't hate my country, it's going in the right direction but it's just so...ugh. I sometimes feel like my country is made out of the west coast and the norhteast coast. Everything in between is suburbia
What's wrong with suburbia?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,441,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Everything. I hate suburbs.

That's what I hate. lol

Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Suburbia is boring and has no cultural merit. Suburbia is where people live and that's it.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Suburbia is boring and has no cultural merit. Suburbia is where people live and that's it.

The suburbs where I'm from back in Michigan all had the great mom and pops restaurants, ethnic foods , etc etc.

Sometimes I think people hate suburbs just to hate them. I don't agree there is no cultural merit. Just because everyone isn't packed into a high rise and cannot have a back yard or a place for their kids to play on their own property does not mean there is no cultural merit.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ha yea and the cities are just full of poor ghetto people and crime.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,607,512 times
Crime is interesting! Seeing someone get gunned down outside your apartment - what's not to like about that?

Quote:
The suburbs where I'm from back in Michigan all had the great mom and pops restaurants, ethnic foods , etc etc.

Sometimes I think people hate suburbs just to hate them. I don't agree there is no cultural merit. Just because everyone isn't packed into a high rise and cannot have a back yard or a place for their kids to play on their own property does not mean there is no cultural merit.
Well, maybe I was a bit harsh. Not all suburbs are boring - I know of one suburb here that definitely isn't boring despite being on the outskirts, with a thriving main road with restaurants and delis, but the one I live is in pretty dull - mostly retired people and few places to eat - we have a McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut!

It's safe, quiet and near the countryside though, and that's a positive too as I need my beauty sleep and I love going for hikes.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM

I shouldnt be all smartass... i love the typical midwest suburbs and i know people on here arent the biggest fans of them. love the huge shopping malls, wide open spaces, large homes, safety, etc.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,441,148 times
Quote:

I don't hate them, just to hate them. Where in Michigan are you from, if I may ask, burgler? If you were around Detroit, then that's a good reason why yours had the things you listed. Detroit grew so fast it just absorbed all the little towns around it.

This is the kind of thing I hate about suburbs:

http://blog.redfin.com/local/wp-cont...06/suburbs.jpg

God. Shoot me, now. I wouldn't be able to take it. No sidewalks, no mature trees, no front porches to shoot the **** with your neighbours, houses hidden behind oversized garages, nothing within walking distance, etc, etc.....

I live right in the heart of the city. I have a front yard, a backyard, a porch, a garage in the back, 190ft lot, parks, resturants, mom n pop shops, transportation.

BUT.......this is your thread, and it's not about suburbs. I appologize for going off topic.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-21-2014 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World