U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM

24,257 posts, read 22,960,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Finland was part of Russia in the first WW1 so I am guessing you are talking about Finnish partisans against the Russians?
Actually Finland was proclaimed a kingdom with the grand duke of Hesse as the King of Finland, but when Germany lost WWI, he was silently renounced and Finland was declared a republic.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,255,141 times
If you talk about the United States you are a ignorant little child!

Why can't some people handle when other people talk about the US... I don't get it.

Seems like a lot of American expats in Europe have this same attitude and this is not based off time spent on the Internet, I know personally plenty of Americans who moved to Europe and they magically develop this annoying snobby attitude.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM

319 posts, read 570,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Actually Finland was proclaimed a kingdom with the grand duke of Hesse as the King of Finland, but when Germany lost WWI, he was silently renounced and Finland was declared a republic.
I played this online game a million years ago (it was a war strategy game) and the guy on my team was from Finland and named his empire "Karelia Liberation Army"...

I have a feeling I know what side Finland will be on during WWIII.

The real question, is will they deliver a war-time leader as charismatic and "Chuck-Norrisesque" as Putin? I mean he's almost always shirtless, on a horse, or shirtless with a rifle, ready to stifle the enemies of the state such as girl punk bands like Pu$$y Riot. Finland is going to need a world leader of that caliber, and I don't recall them having one!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM

8,195 posts, read 11,902,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sounds like what the Central Powers were trying to do in Poland. Also something similar for Ukraine if I remember right.

Since today the other Nordic countries are monarchies, it probably would have worked for Finland as well.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM

8,024 posts, read 11,287,342 times
We were taught, in a pretty poor rundown school, comprehensively about the world wars. We are still living with the consequences of it to this day - be it with Israel and the trouble with it's surrounding countries to the rebuilding of cities across Europe and further afield.

Everyone should learn about it.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 PM

24,257 posts, read 22,960,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sounds like what the Central Powers were trying to do in Poland. Also something similar for Ukraine if I remember right.

Since today the other Nordic countries are monarchies, it probably would have worked for Finland as well.
German forces were in Helsinki in 1918 helping the white guards against the reds. Germany's intent was to install a loyal government in Finland to guard the Eastern frontier later defined with the treaty of Brest-Litovsk.

In 1940, far before operation Barbarossa, von Falkenhorst and his companions started to embark his troops in Finland and German, Finnish, Hungarian and Romanian military leaders met to discuss the eventual invasion of Russia.

So... we don't choose... we just seem to align with Germany in any case... And most of us admit it silently to ourselves: if something happens, we will again side with Germany.

BUT, an unholy alliance with Russia could be fun for a change!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM

586 posts, read 782,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
I have a feeling I know what side Finland will be on during WWIII.
Not to be a sceptic () but if there is ever a WWIII I have a feeling that, for the vast majority of the populace, what side your government chooses to be on wont ultimately matter that much.

(pretty isn't it.....)

Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM

22,256 posts, read 27,803,439 times
Luckily Invincible will survive the nuclear holocaust.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,255,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Not to be a sceptic () but if there is ever a WWIII I have a feeling that, for the vast majority of the populace, what side your government chooses to be on wont ultimately matter that much.

(pretty isn't it.....)
I doubt nations in this hypothetical WWIII will just go all "YOLO!" and start nuking the crap out of their enemies.
War in the 21st century are very different.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM

20,694 posts, read 22,612,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree with a lot of what's been said here so far. We don't get exposure to world news unless we go out of our way. We are bombarded with the propaganda about being the best and strongest country on earth--that could make us feel arrogant and superior. We are geographically isolated from most of the world, much the same as Australia so not too many of us get the chance to travel and expand our horizons.

But in the above post, what are block letters? Constant use of them yet I don't know what they are except if you mean using upper case letters???? What does it mean and where do you see it?
Well i'm not going to get into it but certain posters are prime examples. You only have to look in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.