Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times

Advertisements

I know I'll regret getting into this discussion, but I can say as an American who moved abroad in middle-age that I too was guilty of falling for the propaganda that the US is the greatest country in the world. I didn't realize it until I saw it from across the pond.

We know this thread is just an excuse for invincibl3 to again bash the world outside of the US. And again I will be accused of being anti-American.

When I was a kid we said the pledge of allegiance every morning in school, hand on heart. What other countries do/did that? Maybe communist ones?

The fact that the flag is almost worshipped - can't touch the ground, etc. - does seem very weird to those outside the US.

The fact that all/many presidents often say 'god bless America' in their speeches.

Many Americans are under the impression that a big majority of the world would just love to live in the US. Those in poor countries, of course. But those in places like western Europe, Australia, etc. No.

Americans who claim that the rest of the world bashes them because they are jealous of them. Very arrogant.

The US appointing themselves 'World Police'. The good guys/bad guys thing.

The fact that in most Hollywood WWII movies the US is seen as winning the war almost single-handedly.

The worship of guns.

The ultra-patriotism. 911 was the only time I ever felt homesick for the US. But when I returned for a family visit at the xmas just after 911 I was gobsmacked to see giant flags everywhere - car dealers with a massive flag on every single pole around the lot, flags on every car, flags in the xmas decorations on the outside of homes. And it hasn't stopped.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Australians use the same English as us..
If you mean the UK or Northern Ireland, well, no...

Seriously, British accents, speech patterns and colloquialisms really do stand out here in Aus. They're different.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:50 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They live in another country but they complain about our lifestyle and culture like its affecting them.
That works both ways.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 AM

231 posts, read 332,971 times
I like the US, i like American people, i have had a lot of fun visiting that country, reality is no such thing as the greatest country in the world, i'd never leave Australia to live in America, nothing wrong with being patriotic and loving your country, obviously a lot of the world is exposed to American culture via tv and you do get the feeling that they're telling you that they are better than the rest of the world. The traditional presidents speech where you constantly hear "greatest country on earth" usually followed by a "god bless america" does come across as arrogant...why not "god bless the world" or something lol.

Despite all that the US is one of the better countries on the planet, but the best? meh. Dont get me wrong when i was kid we use to get that annoying level of patriotism in Australia as well..."the lucky country" was one that use to annoy me, overall we have it good here, but im not gonna sit here and say we are the best.

The wild celebrations when Osama was caught or when one of the Boston bombers was caught was ridiculous, people singing and dancing in the streets like the sports team they follow won a title or something, thankfully i couldnt imagine any such scenes in Australia following a tragedy.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
invisible you just create threads to give you and your country an ego boost.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
invisible you just create threads to give you and your country an ego boost.
True!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
my sister recently spent a fortnight in California and absolutely loved it , she,s a typical European liberal as well though doesn't beat people over the head with it

Old 01-11-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
my sister recently spent a fortnight in California and absolutely loved it , she,s a typical European liberal as well though doesn't beat people over the head with it
Visiting and living there are completely different. I loved visiting Italy but wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
One arrogant thing I notice is the constant use of block letters. Rather irritating.

I know thats not really useful. But its another example of how Americans are overbearing. In the UK that would be considered illmannered.

I agree with a lot of what's been said here so far. We don't get exposure to world news unless we go out of our way. We are bombarded with the propaganda about being the best and strongest country on earth--that could make us feel arrogant and superior. We are geographically isolated from most of the world, much the same as Australia so not too many of us get the chance to travel and expand our horizons.

But in the above post, what are block letters? Constant use of them yet I don't know what they are except if you mean using upper case letters???? What does it mean and where do you see it?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
One arrogant thing I notice is the constant use of block letters. Rather irritating.

I know thats not really useful. But its another example of how Americans are overbearing. In the UK that would be considered illmannered.
Is this a serious post? I REALLY CAN'T TELL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World