Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

We are a country that gets criticized a lot by people from all over the globe.

Me and other Americans get confused by all this criticism we get from people from the outside world. sometimes we get offended by the things people say about our country.

I created this thread for us to understand all this. some people are very harsh with their comments and make it seem like they really dislike us...

I'll just start out by guessing and someone can tell me if i am right or wrong.

Basically it seems like we have all eyes on us watching every single thing we do, when we do something everyone will see it and we just have this big target on our backs.

Also, it is willing to note we do have a lot of crazy people in this country esp in the past couple of years with the mass shootings, boston bombings, that cop killer in california, crazy politicians, etc...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
That happens on a regional level throughout the world as well. As an Aussie, I'm often surprised by how many domestic Australian issues and events are covered by the media in places like New Zealand, and the spin that's put on them. I guess its just a global phenomenon, with the US one of the nations that get most of the attention.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 AM

319 posts, read 604,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Me and other Americans get confused by all this criticism we get from people from the outside world. sometimes we get offended by the things people say about our country.

I created this thread for us to understand all this. some people are very harsh with their comments and make it seem like they really dislike us...

Basically it seems like we have all eyes on us watching every single thing we do, when we do something everyone will see it and we just have this big target on our backs.

Also, it is willing to note we do have a lot of crazy people in this country esp in the past couple of years with the mass shootings, boston bombings, that cop killer in california, crazy politicians, etc...
A very thoughtful thread starter.

I'm sure it will be co-opted at some point to further someone's ego or worldview, but I'll try to keep this as close to what your original intent is as I can. Note, my closest male friend is an ex-Soviet (not willingly, he was just a Chernobyl kid!), and most of the people that I'm in regular contact are really educated Americans, or foreign born.

First off, Americans have a really myopic world-view. That is generally not the fault of the American, per say - but it is the fault of how American media puts American interest above all others. You kinda have to work hard to find non-vitriolic valid information, especially foreign, whether it be on television or online.

Foreign news, AKA global newsworthy events, is an afterthought really in the US. Unless there is some calamity (tsunami), or some serious infringement on American business, you tend not to hear about it easily. This is a shame, there are tons of topics that I think most Americans would be interested in, but the overwhelming media bobble-heads like to talk more about celebrities, like how little clothing Ms. Cyrus is wearing or what some politician that they don't like gaffed.

Here's an example:

The Battle for Syria | FRONTLINE | PBS

How many Americans know about what is happening, or has happened in this case, in Syria?

Outlawed in Pakistan | FRONTLINE | PBS

How many Americans know that the rule for a woman in Pakistan who alleges rape, is supposed to be killed by her father?

My German friends came here for graduate work, and as soon as they are done with school, are going back to Germany. Their opinion, take this however you like, is that the US is run-down, and politically stupid. They've seen Faux News, and can't believe people would watch that drivel. American liberals would be called conservatives in just about every country but here. Also, since we lack a sensible single-payer health care regime, they have no interest in staying in a country that apparently can't or won't care for its people.

Australia banned semi-automatic weapons, and as a result haven't had a mass shooting since. There have been a number of forum posts here, in which I wonder very seriously why the person was ever allowed a firearm. These issues don't occur in normal developed countries.

The US was on track under Nixon, with the development of the EPA, and then further in many ways with the next couple of presidents, and then sharply downhill with the anti-intellectual known as Reagan. While many will credit him with fanciful ideas, like defeating communism, he was an anti-intellectual and was the early architect of putting the US on a non-sustainable economic downward spiral. He was a classic cut taxes, increase spending buffoon, which makes no sense to elementary school students, I don't know why that isn't part of a basic math class.

So as America, in its Imperialist wisdom, goes about policing nations that don't particularly want our brand of corporate consumer culture, expects sovereign nations to happily capitulate to our manifest destiny? The big target is asked for, and that is where I agree with the Libertarians. Usually I don't, but on foreign policy, they are usually right on, live and let live, do what you want in your country, and we will do what we want in ours.

Last edited by Isotope-C14; 01-11-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Whatever people might say, it just boils down to ignorance and nothing more than that.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Examples:

People from OUTSIDE the United States complaining about American English not being like English English, US not converting to Metric, our lax gun laws, our lack in world travel, our fat tourist etc...

They live in another country but they complain about our lifestyle and culture like its affecting them.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Examples:

People from OUTSIDE the United States complaining about American English not being like English English,
LOL, the Brits complain about/look down on all dialects of the English language, except their own...

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
I guess the main reasons:

Tall poppy syndrome/being the most prominent nation: the US is the biggest and most powerful nation on earth. It is still the most culturally influential (a point I've often defended the US for) nation in the world. American music in particular seems to be underrated, some people act like the Beatles invented rock'n'roll. Also some people resent their power or are jealous of it.

Being bombarded with American popular culture and media: From movies, TV shows, music, etc, a lot of people are sick of hearing American accents all the time or hearing about America on the news as opposed to other nations. I notice here at least, we hear more about what happens in the US than we hear about what happens in New Zealand or Indonesia even.

Perceived American arrogant: Americans often believe they are best, they are God's chosen.etc, and seem very insular. There are stereotypes of Americans being ignorant, fat, lazy.etc which I've noticed many seem to stereotype.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:10 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
One arrogant thing I notice is the constant use of block letters. Rather irritating.

I know thats not really useful. But its another example of how Americans are overbearing. In the UK that would be considered illmannered.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
LOL, the Brits complain about/look down on all dialects of the English language, except their own...
Australians use the same English as us..

Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:

No offence but you are sounding rather stuck up and full of youself even in that post. Saying "all eyes on us watching every single thing we do." Really? No I don't think so. We really don't care.

Ask anyone the last thing they think of is america. What happens is the news channels obsess but that is all.

Personally I feel like this is your way of bumming youself up. Which isn't the best way to be.

Last edited by Mac15; 01-11-2014 at 03:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World