Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times

Advertisements

For those of us who are consisdering taking a risk and moving to the US, this site contains many negative viewpoints of general life there, as well as positive ones.

I would like to hear from people who made the move from foreign soil and what their experiences have been. Essentially, how the lifestyle measures up against prior expectations, and wether or not the negatives on this site should be taken by those outside with a pinch of salt? What were you looking for and have you found it? If you had the choice over... would you move again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,001 times
A lot of the Brits on there seem kind of negative about their experiences in the USA. I will say that, of the British I've met who visited or lived in the USA, some of them almost seem a little bitter, as though someone told them America was just like England, but with different accents, and upon getting here they realized they'd been lied to. I can't say if Britain is any better or any worse than the USA, since I've never been there, but I do think a lot of the expat experience is what you make of it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-14-2007 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: no links to other forums, please

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,869 times
We'll, I'm an American expat so here are a few thoughts.

I think any comments from an expat depend on what stage they are in when you ask them. We all go through several phases of how we feel about our new home ranging from fascination and love to disapointment and disgust. Much of it depends on two factors; how adaptable you are and what your expectations are - I think these are more important than the actual situation you are moving into.

For those who are insecure or find themselves always seeing the new/different culture as inferior to their own - they should stay home. There are things you love which you cannot find in your new country, be it France, Spain, or America. There are mannerisms and thought processes which may seem baffling until you understand how they think and see the world. It helps to have an open mind.

For anyone moving from one English-speaking country to another, the expectation should be that you are moving to a completely new culture and must be prepared to adapt and (to some degree) embrace it - otherwise, the adjustment will be rough. There simply aren't any shortcuts.

I've been an expat in five different countries (all in Europe) and have found them all to quite liveable - so long as I maintain the right perspective. I was looking for new and different experiences and found them (not to mention some great new friends). That said, its about time to move back home...

Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
I am from ireland and have lived in nY for over 20 years.
Would I do it again ; in a heartbeat.

Do I regreat leaving home ; only around the holidays.

It was the best move we ever made. I came with my boyfriend ; became my dh and we love it. It forced us to grow up, mature, realize that the world is our oyster.

d

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,468 times
I lived abroad for years. I didn't like it and am very happy to be back home in the USA.

What did I learn? Eh....how to put up with a LOT of criticism. I'm much more patient and laid-back than I used to be; otherwise the anger at how I was treated would have killed me.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,959 times
Ian6479: I'm a transplanted Aussie. I've been in and out of the US for the past 26 years that I've been married to my American husband (my only husband for that matter). We were missionaries in Asia and the South Pacific and so we kept dropping back into American culture and society after a 3 1/2 to 4 year absence. It was like we'd been on Mars. So my experience may or may not be a-typical.

In some ways, it was harder I think than someone who comes here for the first time and stays. At least when you come and stay, things become more familiar, not less familiar. In the times we were out of the country, the country had new fashions, new cars, new movies (not that I cared about that) and new pop stars (ditto my last comment). But, the thing is that people here talked about stuff - maybe on the news or whatever and we knew nothing about it. We stayed here for a year and then left. Very strange. We usually preferred our former country to this one.

Having said all that, we have been back now for 9 years and since we now live in Washington state, I have to say that I totally love it here. The nicest place we've ever lived (except for Australia).

As for negative reactions to the thought that someone would choose to come and live in the US, I would say to discount it. (I've probably read the same posts that you have.) I have learned never to form my own opinions from the opinions of other people. I usually come up short when I do and wish I hadn't.

My biggest piece of advice is to echo what Xpat said - don't expect the US to be like home. It's not. Expect that it will be different, in a good way. I think that expectation is everything. If you expect: that you are going to have to adapt and make changes; and learn a whole lot of new ways to operate over here, you'll be way ahead of the game. I remember sometimes with nostalgia the kind of awe I had over simple things like 6 lane highways and Interstate interchanges. (Those didn't exist in Australia back then. Actually I haven't seen anything like it even now!) I now take it all for granted and can drive through major cities with the best of them. The department stores and the food (different from Australia). It was all new and exciting.

I am one who believes that there is no perfect place to live. People are people, and America is a huge melting pot mix. You just have to pick your place, put down some roots and get on with the business of living. If people don't reach out to you, reach out to them. Accept other people at face value, don't look for hidden agendas and you'll do fine.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

122 posts, read 347,210 times
I'm English expat. Born in London, emigrated when I was nine years old. Since then I have lived all over the US and have traveled all over the world. Love it here. But also love traveling to other countries. I have learned so much from these travels, about other countries, cultures, ways of thinking. Priceless. Then I meet someone here, down the street, who has never been out of the county, but has all these opinions and judgments about the rest of the country and the rest of the world ( cultures, religions, etc. ) ... Shame we can't all see and appreciate ( and respect peoples in ) the rest of the world.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

32 posts, read 175,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
I'm English expat. Born in London, emigrated when I was nine years old. Since then I have lived all over the US and have traveled all over the world. Love it here. But also love traveling to other countries. I have learned so much from these travels, about other countries, cultures, ways of thinking. Priceless. Then I meet someone here, down the street, who has never been out of the county, but has all these opinions and judgments about the rest of the country and the rest of the world ( cultures, religions, etc. ) ... Shame we can't all see and appreciate ( and respect peoples in ) the rest of the world.

i'm in your boat. born/raised in england, moved to US when i was 12- travelled a lot, but for the second half (and counting hopefully!) i've lived in the US. travelled a lot to both asia/europe- i will say i def. see myself living out the rest of my life in the US - currently in nyc, probably suburbs when/if i get married. i plan on doing a year or two of work in the uk, but i don't see my view on living here changing.

granted my experience was a little different since i went to school here/became ingrained with the american system/values at a relatively young age. the only real thing i miss is fish and chips!!

everything else (due to globalization) can pretty much be had here. there are certain customs here that are different, but nothing that is too hard to overcome (such as tipping)

Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
I'm an American who has lived in South Korea for too many years already. Well, 6 out of the last 12 years.

It has no resemblance to the United States whatsoever. More than anything, I find that when I'm in Korea, there are some things I miss about the U.S. But whenever I've left Korea, I've missed a lot more very unique things about Korea even more. So that is why I've kept coming back here time and time again.

Overall, if you are an American with no real interest to be elsewhere, it's better to be in the U.S. than say Korea. But if there is some attraction to another place, then just go there.

I'm into ESL teaching and I like the expat/travel lifestyle I have over here. Plus I really like Asia in general. Whenever I'm back in the U.S., I find myself seeking out Asian areas of the country.

I'm caucasian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World