Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,289,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Tokyo has it's fair share of expats actually, but they seem to get lost more in Tokyo because it's a vast metropolis of 35 million that's still 95% Japanese. Singapore and Hong Kong have a more visible expat presence. Many still go to Tokyo for business etc.

But with the rise of China as well, I predict Shanghai might even overtaken Tokyo in prominence before too long. Hong Kong will hold steady, as will Singapore. I predict Taipei to rise in stakes as well.
Are they expats doing business in Japan—or Asia more broadly? Tokyo used to be the Asian city for business. If your company needed an Asian headquarters, you went to Tokyo by default. That is no longer the case. Japan has a huge economy and if you’re doing business there, you’ll want to be in Tokyo. However, if a Indian, Russian, American or Gulf company wants to business in East Asia generally, it would probably choose Singapore or Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,779,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Are they expats doing business in Japan—or Asia more broadly? Tokyo used to be the Asian city for business. If your company needed an Asian headquarters, you went to Tokyo by default. That is no longer the case. Japan has a huge economy and if you’re doing business there, you’ll want to be in Tokyo. However, if a Indian, Russian, American or Gulf company wants to business in East Asia generally, it would probably choose Singapore or Hong Kong.
Yeah I don't know, I've always thought of Hong Kong and Singapore as being the expat magnets, Tokyo actually seems to go under the radar, but from what I've heard tons still go there, but since 1990 it might've declined. Seoul along with Shanghai might be emerging centres to complete with Hong Kong and Singapore too.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,603,904 times
Hong Kong is still over 92% chinese, the expat community is a tiny elite, not representative of the rest of the city.
It is not a diverse city like Singapore.
I think that most of the expat community in Hong Kong comes from English speaking countries.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Hong Kong is still over 92% chinese, the expat community is a tiny elite, not representative of the rest of the city.
I think that most of the expat community in Hong Kong comes from English speaking countries.
Actually there's a very large Indian community in Hong Kong, many of whom are involved in certain industries like the textile trade/tailors.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM

About 50,000 people of South Asian descent in Hong Kong, so a bit less than 1% of the population.
I wouldn't use the word very large, the word significant or visible may be more appropriate.
It is not like in Singapore where people of South Asian origin are about 15% of the population.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
About 50,000 people of South Asian descent in Hong Kong, so a bit less than 1% of the population.
I wouldn't use the word very large, the word significant or visible may be more appropriate.
It is not like in Singapore where people of South Asian origin are about 15% of the population.
True, it's sizeable though, and more apparent in certain parts of the city.

Singapore has always been a very multicultural place. It's Indian roots are pretty deep. Little India actually does feel like Chennai or something, one of the most Indian feeling places outside the sub-continent.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,289,506 times
Quote:
When ranking the top 5 to 10 global cities, it’s the elite that counts.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 AM

531 posts, read 594,447 times
Tokyo is declining due to the demographic crisis in Japan and on-going recession....augmented more recently by the Abenomics experiment. It's still a great city with world class amenities.

It's fallen behind the other two because they are trending upwards. London is clearly rising, New York is clawing its way to some growth, though the latter is largely due to $85 billion per month in implicit subsidy to its big banks.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Tokyo is not at all declining in population.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 AM

499 posts, read 793,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post

It's fallen behind the other two because they are trending upwards. London is clearly rising, New York is clawing its way to some growth, though the latter is largely due to $85 billion per month in implicit subsidy to its big banks.
Clawing to some growth? NY has been growing steadily since post 9-11 and has a larger economy and workforce now than it has ever had. There are enough skyscrapers going up right now in NY to dwarf London's entire skyline.

Why do all the London boosters on this forum seem intent on proving London is a great city as if noone knows this already? You all just come off as insecure.

Last edited by Arxis28; 01-17-2014 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World