Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 AM

231 posts, read 333,195 times

Advertisements

Definately do in Melbourne, im not sure how you measure which city has more, but pretty much everyone hangs out with everyone mostly here, im sure its like that for Australia in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Definately do in Melbourne, im not sure how you measure which city has more, but pretty much everyone hangs out with everyone mostly here, im sure its like that for Australia in general.
Yep, do you find Melbourne also less racist than other cities in Oz inc Sydney? I just find it less the case than in Perth.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austr...st-racist.html

Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 AM

47 posts, read 90,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
NYC is definitely the place where caucasians, asians and middle easterners interact mostly in a way that their ethnicity doesn't matter. For lower income blacks and latinos not so much. I think this is mostly to do with income divisions leading to ostensible rather than actual racial prejudice there.

Nice description of NYC, but your comparison didn't make any sense. You said Caucasians, asians and middle easterners interact. Then you said lower income blacks & latinos not so much. You do know there are lots of rich black people right? And well to do Hispanics that have money too, lol. What world are you living in?

I just noticed you said Caucasians, asians, and middle easterners, but didn't bring up the fact whether these groups were lower income or high income. Because there are poor Whites, poor asians, and poor middle easterners just as their are ones with money.

So let me clear up your statement which would probably make more sense. Upper Middle class to upper class Caucasians, Asians, Middle Easterners, Blacks, & Latinos interact.

And maybe the lower income of those same backgrounds don't interact so much. And I know a lot of people see Whites as rich and affluent, but that's not necessarily the case based on numbers alone. There are more lower middle class and poor whites than there are rich ones. The poor whites people tend to ignore because they don't fit into the stereotype of what people think a "White American" is.

But go to West Virginia and Rural parts of every state you'll see tons of lower class and poor whites. When you hear that term "Real America" which is people that live out in Rural America and not in those big citites which there are way more of then big affluent cities in the U.S. those are where all your lower class and poor whites live.

Just felt like I had to correct that whole thing you wrote. Or atleast expand on it when I saw it.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM

531 posts, read 595,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Nice description of NYC, but your comparison didn't make any sense. You said Caucasians, asians and middle easterners interact. Then you said lower income blacks & latinos not so much. You do know there are lots of rich black people right? And well to do Hispanics that have money too, lol. What world are you living in?

I just noticed you said Caucasians, asians, and middle easterners, but didn't bring up the fact whether these groups were lower income or high income. Because there are poor Whites, poor asians, and poor middle easterners just as their are ones with money.

So let me clear up your statement which would probably make more sense. Upper Middle class to upper class Caucasians, Asians, Middle Easterners, Blacks, & Latinos interact.

And maybe the lower income of those same backgrounds don't interact so much. And I know a lot of people see Whites as rich and affluent, but that's not necessarily the case based on numbers alone. There are more lower middle class and poor whites than there are rich ones. The poor whites people tend to ignore because they don't fit into the stereotype of what people think a "White American" is.

But go to West Virginia and Rural parts of every state you'll see tons of lower class and poor whites. When you hear that term "Real America" which is people that live out in Rural America and not in those big citites which there are way more of then big affluent cities in the U.S. those are where all your lower class and poor whites live.

Just felt like I had to correct that whole thing you wrote. Or atleast expand on it when I saw it.
Why would you interpret my comment as a claim that every black/hispanic is poor and every white person is rich? No, it refers to the fact that there is a well-recognized income gap between these ethnic groups, and that it is this, rather than cultural alienation, that is the main cause of the racial segregation there. Also, we are discussing NYC, not the demographics of the Appalachia or any other part of the US.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
San Francisco and NYC?
Ruth, not San Francisco. It's diverse but people don't intermingle as freely like the OP was asking. Oakland is much better with that and it's also more diverse than SF.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
New York City. Unlike London, I feel that New Yorkers appreciate the diversity. Compared to London where you hear people whining "Immigrants are taking our jobs!" or "This country is gonna be overrun by Muslims!"
In the US we hear; immigrants are taking our jobs and this country is going to be overrun by Hispanics.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 90,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Why would you interpret my comment as a claim that every black/hispanic is poor and every white person is rich? No, it refers to the fact that there is a well-recognized income gap between these ethnic groups, and that it is this, rather than cultural alienation, that is the main cause of the racial segregation there. Also, we are discussing NYC, not the demographics of the Appalachia or any other part of the US.

Because if you read what you wrote that's how a normal forward thinking human being would interpret that comment, lol. It made no sense. You showed a bias in your comment. When you said Caucasians, Asians, And Middle Easterners you didn't preface it with any kind of income level. You just stated those racial groups. Assuming these groups of people have money just off some assumption that you have, or atleast that's how it came off. But in that same comment you said "Lower income Blacks & Latinos." Like you associate low income with Blacks and Latinos not high income. What about the Higher income Blacks & Latinos? Who do they interact with? Money usually hangs around money, i'm sure you'd see some Black & Latinos in any high end place the same as the others.

And especially it being NYC, there are definitely well to do Black people for sure since the Black population is always high in any big city with chances at higher education.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM

531 posts, read 595,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Because if you read what you wrote that's how a normal forward thinking human being would interpret that comment, lol. It made no sense. You showed a bias in your comment. When you said Caucasians, Asians, And Middle Easterners you didn't preface it with any kind of income level. You just stated those racial groups. Assuming these groups of people have money just off some assumption that you have, or atleast that's how it came off. But in that same comment you said "Lower income Blacks & Latinos." Like you associate low income with Blacks and Latinos not high income. What about the Higher income Blacks & Latinos? Who do they interact with? Money usually hangs around money, i'm sure you'd see some Black & Latinos in any high end place the same as the others.

And especially it being NYC, there are definitely well to do Black people for sure since the Black population is always high in any big city with chances at higher education.
Only if they have trouble interpreting context and rhetorical devices. The context here is that we are discussing racial segregation, and that I am explaining the cause to lie, at least partly, within economic inequality. When I refer to one group of implicitly "wealthy" whites/asians and compare them to lower income blacks and latinos, I am using a rhetorical device to remark about this general inequality; I am not making an absolute claim that every single black and latino person is poor.

The income gap according to race in NYC is a well-recognized problem. Pointing this out isn't bias. It's simply stating reality. If I were to claim that blacks and latinos were lower income because of the fact that they are black/latino, then that would be a biased statement.

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 01-19-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World