Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
As others have mentioned, most of the events will be held in the nearby mountains rather than Sochi itself. Vancouver pulled it off well enough, Torino/Turin too. Heck, technically Los Angeles could probably host a winter games.
How far is Thredbo from Melbourne?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How far is Thredbo from Melbourne?
Far (like 6-7 hours drive). It's actually closer to Sydney. Australia would never be a viable location for the winter Olympics. Our mountains are very borderline, some winters there's hardly any skiiable snow at all. In fact I find it rather amazing we have skiing at all, since Thredbo, one of the highest recording stations in Australia, has an average winter temperature similar to New York City. Plus we don't have the infrastructure. New Zealand is probably better but they'd really have to improve their infrastructure, they also lack the 'apres ski culture/ski villages' that even we have.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Does anyone actually care? It will be over and done with, infrastructures will be used or not and everything will be back to normal.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I've worked in Qatar, and the temperature can hit 53c in June/July. I couldn't believe it when it was announced that they had won the opportunity to stage the world cup. I didn't think, based on the temperatures at that time of the year in Qatar, they had a hope in hell of actually winning the bid. Just goes to show what lot's of money changing hands can achieve.

Now they are talking about changing the tournament from a Summer world cup to a Winter one, with all the disruptions that would cause to all the league programmes in Europe & elsewhere. It's become very obvious that FIFA has become a corrupt organisation that needs disinfecting.
Soccer is only one sport while all the other Olympic sports don't have this restraint. Olympic soccer isn't as big as the world cup anyway. Sydney held the Summer Games in September and October. Its interesting how Rio is going to hold the next games in what's technically Brazil's winter. Some people complained about Atlanta's heat but it was still held in the summer. I do think Las Vegas, Houston, and Dallas are good candidates in the US for future games. Las Vegas can use some new sports venues and attract pro sports there and hotels are not a problem. Reno-Tahoe would be good for the winter games. There is talk of Bozeman, Montana wanting to do it too but that's probably too small. Boise, Idaho could possibly do it with Sun Valley. Denver and Colorado Springs are also good choices for the Winter Games.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 01-22-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by André89 View Post
No, and stop bashing Russia, find another country if you nothing to do.
I don't think they would have the same security issues if the Olympics were to be held in the United States, even another area of Russia that is not in close proximity to terrorists. It's a valid point.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
The reason it's not in Moscow is because Moscow is on a plain. Sochi's got mountains, which are necessary for the winter games.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Soccer is only one sport while all the other Olympic sports don't have this restraint. Olympic soccer isn't as big as the world cup anyway. Sydney held the Summer Games in September and October. Its interesting how Rio is going to hold the next games in what's technically Brazil's winter. Some people complained about Atlanta's heat but it was still held in the summer. I do think Las Vegas, Houston, and Dallas are good candidates in the US for future games. Las Vegas can use some new sports venues and attract pro sports there and hotels are not a problem. Reno-Tahoe would be good for the winter games. There is talk of Bozeman, Montana wanting to do it too but that's probably too small. Boise, Idaho could possibly do it with Sun Valley. Denver and Colorado Springs are also good choices for the Winter Games.
1968 Mexico City summer Olympics were in October (not sure why as summer is not hot there)

1972 Munich summer Olympics were in September (again not sure why)

1988 Seoul summer Olympics were in late September-early October

2008 Beijing summer Olympics would have been better September, less heat and humidity than august

Sochi has the mountains but I think Putin wants it in Sochi to help try
promote it to the world as a possible "summer" Russian Riviera type tourist destination,
anyway Russia is very flat where most of population is and Siberia has the mountains
but is ironically "too cold" for a winter Olympics (unless held in april).

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
1968 Mexico City summer Olympics were in October (not sure why as summer is not hot there)

2008 Beijing summer Olympics would have been better September, less heat and humidity than august

promote it to the world as a possible "summer" Russian Riviera type tourist destination,
anyway Russia is very flat where most of population is and Siberia has the mountains
Sydney 2000 summer Olympics were in September.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

promote it to the world as a possible "summer"
Russian Riviera type tourist destination,
And why would he do that by hosting the WINTER Olympics there?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I think this is the worst choice to have the Olympics. The spirit is over-shadowed by the threat of terrorism and the hatred of homosexuals. I have no idea why they chose Sochi. It will be interesting considering this will be the most expensive Olympics in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World