U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM

9,555 posts, read 14,243,777 times

Advertisements

I find it strange that while Russia has endless frozen and snowbound land, they choose to host the Winter Olympics in Sochi, a beach resort with palm trees. That would be like the US hosting the Winter Games in South Carolina.

At the same time they held the 1980 SUMMER Olympics in Moscow. They should have done it the other way around with Sochi being the summer venue and Moscow being the winter one. Wouldn't that make a lot more sense??
Rate this post positively

Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 AM

4,839 posts, read 9,577,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I find it strange that while Russia has endless frozen and snowbound land, they choose to host the Winter Olympics in Sochi, a beach resort with palm trees. That would be like the US hosting the Winter Games in South Carolina.

At the same time they held the 1980 SUMMER Olympics in Moscow. They should have done it the other way around with Sochi being the summer venue and Moscow being the winter one. Wouldn't that make a lot more sense??
They have mountains. It's snowy at higher elevations and warm at lower elevations. Not too complicated, if anything it's a very nice climate to host it in, questionable for other reasons only. It's also sensible to host winter games in smaller cities, no one hosts a Summer Olympics in anything less than a proper metropolis.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 AM

2,207 posts, read 5,126,168 times
The question should have been: Isn't Russia a bad choice for the WINTER Games?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM

38,128 posts, read 38,481,530 times
It seems to be a bad choice weather-wise and security-wise. But I believe it was the choice of Russia's President as it is where he likes to vacation.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,911,717 times
Then again the world cup is being held in Russia in 2018 and the 2022 World Cup will be in Qatar which is red hot in the summer and which border Saudi Arabia. So no security implications there then.

At least Britain doesn't have much of a Winter Olympic Team.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,071,044 times
I agree, it's not a good choice : it's the only subtropical location in cold, continental Russia!
and there are other mountain ranges in Russia (agreed, pretty isolated) : the Urals (not very high, not worse though than Quebec montains where Olympic games took place some winters ago), the Altaï mountains, Kamtchatka, Verkhoiansk mountains (all pretty isolated though), and -the best bet I believe, extremely snowy, not too cold, close to Japon, China, Korea, with little security concerns : the Sikhota Alin (mountain range behind Vladiwostok)

Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM

44 posts, read 87,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
The question should have been: Isn't Russia a bad choice for the WINTER Games?
No, and stop bashing Russia, find another country if you nothing to do.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 AM

25,248 posts, read 32,632,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
: the Urals (not very high, not worse though than Quebec montains where Olympic games took place some winters ago),)
We've never had the Winter Olympics in Quebec, though it's constantly talked about for Quebe City.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM

9,555 posts, read 14,243,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We've never had the Winter Olympics in Quebec, though it's constantly talked about for Quebe City.
I think Calgary or Edmonton can most the next Canadian Olympics after Vancouver did. I don't think Quebec wants another Olympics after Montreal was bankrupted by the games there. Hot weather is okay if its held in a different month, for example the Sydney ones were held in September cause their seasons are different. So a hot city like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston can host a summer games in September of October.

Same with the Middle East places like Dubai and Qatar. However I have a feeling the liberals will NOT protest a Qatar Olympics even though Qatar bans gay marriage and gives gays the death penalty. With terrorism a lot of the Gulf states actually don't see a lot of attacks and the US military has a heavy presence there.

I don't have a problem with the games being in Russia. I wonder why they were not just held in a colder part of Russia like Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Novosibirsk. China has far worse human rights abuses. So goes Qatar which is hosting the world cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World