Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For Asians, going to the beach often involves just sitting under an umbrella or a pergola chatting and eating with friends. You can see a lot of this in Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Sri Lanka.etc.

Interesting...

Here in Brazil some people also only go to the beach to sit under an umbrella, drink some beer and chat with friends (some times I do that myself). But the majority spends at least a few minutes in the sea, and many, specially women, spend some time sunbathing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know people don't associate Canada with beaches, well most don't, but it's quite a shame since we have some fantastic beaches.
Prince Edward Island beaches are the warmest north of Virginia in the U.S. and have red, pink and gold coloured beaches. The only pink sand beaches in Canada.

The beaches of New Brunswick, Gaspe, Nova Scotia etc are extremely popular.

More in my area, the Tofino area brings surfers, albeit wearing wet suits, and tourists from all over the world. There is more to beaches than swimming and suntanning, as Tofino shows.

The beaches in Vancouver are packed during the summer.

Then we have the Great Lakes with many beaches there. Winnipeg has an amazing lake beach etc.
Lakes tend to be warmer than the ocean and are very, very popular for swimming, all over the country.

I never really associated Canada with beaches!

I imagined that, during summer, Canadians used to go to beaches south of the border, in the USA!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaman View Post
i never really associated canada with beaches!

I imagined that, during summer, canadians used to go to beaches south of the border, in the usa!
How popular is beachgoing in each continent?-screen-shot-2014-01-24-10.09.00

One of the many beaches in my city.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Interesting...

Here in Brazil some people also only go to the beach to sit under an umbrella, drink some beer and chat with friends (some times I do that myself). But the majority spends at least a few minutes in the sea, and many, specially women, spend some time sunbathing.
Yes, one of the first images that comes to mind when I think 'Brazil' is coffee-hued beauties in thongs with bootylicious derrieres on Copacabana beach lol.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Here, in Ukraine, beachgoing is popular, plenty of people go in summer to Crimea or other places on Black and Azov seas. I'm one of few people here who don't really like it (because I can't stand hot weather and it quickly annoys me).

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM

133 posts, read 219,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes it can feel chilly especially in Spring which is when any sane person might attempt a swim. In Summer, our average ocean temp is 18 C which is warmer than San Francisco's, 16C, when they have there warmest water in October. The flip side of course is that it doesn't last long and we get much colder water, 4 C which is much colder than anything San Francisco gets at 12 C January through April. Of course these are averages and they do fluctuate a bit.

San Francisco CA Ocean Water Temperature - Current Results

Weather Averages for Vancouver, Canada

I know people don't associate Canada with beaches, well most don't, but it's quite a shame since we have some fantastic beaches.
Prince Edward Island beaches are the warmest north of Virginia in the U.S. and have red, pink and gold coloured beaches. The only pink sand beaches in Canada.

The beaches of New Brunswick, Gaspe, Nova Scotia etc are extremely popular.

More in my area, the Tofino area brings surfers, albeit wearing wet suits, and tourists from all over the world. There is more to beaches than swimming and suntanning, as Tofino shows.

The beaches in Vancouver are packed during the summer.

Then we have the Great Lakes with many beaches there. Winnipeg has an amazing lake beach etc.
Lakes tend to be warmer than the ocean and are very, very popular for swimming, all over the country.
According to your own sources the average ocean temp in Vancouver is 14C which is colder than San Francisco's 16C. Keep up the pimping tho - most people here won't bother to check the facts.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
According to your own sources the average ocean temp in Vancouver is 14C which is colder than San Francisco's 16C. Keep up the pimping tho - most people here won't bother to check the facts.
I think he was referring to summer, not annual. Water off SF is unusually cool because of the cold ocean current, while Van is sort of in a strait/bay. 18C is still definitely cold for most, let alone 16C. For most people anything below about 22C will feel fresh. Only when the water temperature is about 26C, ime, does it feel warm when you first enter.

Either way most would be surprised that people swim at the beach in Vancouver at all. At 18C I certainly wouldnt be going in much, especially given the July high of 22C.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM

133 posts, read 219,680 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think he was referring to summer, not annual. Water off SF is unusually cool because of the cold ocean current, while Van is sort of in a strait/bay. 18C is still definitely cold for most, let alone 16C. For most people anything below about 22C will feel fresh. Only when the water temperature is about 26C, ime, does it feel warm when you first enter.

Either way most would be surprised that people swim at the beach in Vancouver at all. At 18C I certainly wouldnt be going in much, especially given the July high of 22C.
Thanks for making my point so emphatically.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
An average sea temp of 18C sounds far too high for Vancouver, and indeed, the link Natansci posted shows an average sea temp of 14C in July for Vancouver. That's the same as July in San Francisco, but San Francisco's warm season is in autumn rather than summer.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
You've seem to have missed " In summer " even though you highlighted it. My point IS that people who don't think of Canada and beaches, like the person I was responding to, would be surprised that the ocean temperatures IN SUMMER are ON AVERAGE are warmer in Vancouver than a city in California, a place where people assume that the warmer would be MUCH warmer.
As another poster pointed out the ocean temps can be even warmer on Canada's east coast.
Your pimping comment is way off base.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-28-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World