Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick have ocean beaches where the summer temperatures are generally in the 20-25C range. Some of these beaches have warmer water than any ocean beach on the NE US coast north of Virginia.

And water temperatures at lake beaches in Ontario and Quebec can easily reach 25C or higher in the summer.
That seems unusually high. How does that happen if (from looking at stats), the average summer temperature isn't even that high in those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
An average sea temp of 18C sounds far too high for Vancouver, and indeed, the link Natansci posted shows an average sea temp of 14C in July for Vancouver. That's the same as July in San Francisco, but San Francisco's warm season is in autumn rather than summer.
The link I provides states Vancouver's is on average 17C in July and 18C in August. The other links shows the highest temp on average that the ocean off S.F. gets is 16C in September. My original post incorrectly stated it was October.
The part that I though people, who don't think of Canada and beaches, is that Vancouver, a city surround by swimming beaches actually has a time of year where the water is warmer by 2 degrees than anything S.F. usually gets.

I'm not trying to convince people the water around Vancouver is tropical, just that people do use and swim in our ocean without having to navigate ice flows.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That seems unusually high. How does that happen if (from looking at stats), the average summer temperature isn't even that high in those areas?
In regards to Northumberland Straight…from wiki.

"The strait's shallow depths lend to warm water temperatures in summer months, with some areas reaching 25°C, or 77°F. Consequently the strait is reportedly home to the warmest ocean water temperatures in Canada, and some of the warmest ocean water temperatures on the Atlantic coast north of Virginia."

Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

133 posts, read 219,680 times
Quote:
Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick have ocean beaches where the summer temperatures are generally in the 20-25C range. Some of these beaches have warmer water than any ocean beach on the NE US coast north of Virginia.

And water temperatures at lake beaches in Ontario and Quebec can easily reach 25C or higher in the summer.
According to seatemperature.org even the sea temps in Boston are warmer than those in either Prince Edward Island or New Brunswick. That some of these Maritime beach's have warmer water than any ocean beach on the NE US coast north of Virginia is just another one of those unexplainable things which makes Canada just so darn awesome!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I am not exaggerating, though I cannot explain it scientifically. These are the actual average temperatures. Note that average daytime temperatures are generally above 25C in the area I mentioned, but at night it generally drops to 15-18C, so the overall average is generally just below 20C in most places. But the water temperature as I said is 20-25C most everywhere that is inhabited in this part of the world for lakes, but not in all places on the ocean. For example, the ocean waters around most of Nova Scotia tend to be quite cold.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The link I provides states Vancouver's is on average 17C in July and 18C in August. The other links shows the highest temp on average that the ocean off S.F. gets is 16C in September. My original post incorrectly stated it was October.
The part that I though people, who don't think of Canada and beaches, is that Vancouver, a city surround by swimming beaches actually has a time of year where the water is warmer by 2 degrees than anything S.F. usually gets.

I'm not trying to convince people the water around Vancouver is tropical, just that people do use and swim in our ocean without having to navigate ice flows.
I think you are misreading the link you posted. At the top, it states, "August is the hottest month in Vancouver with an average temperature of 18°C (64.4°F)."

Then it goes on to say, "The best month to swim in the sea is in July when the average sea temperature is 14°C (57.2°F)."

I think you got the two confused?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM

133 posts, read 219,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
According to your own sources the average ocean temp in Vancouver is 14C which is colder than San Francisco's 16C. Keep up the pimping tho - most people here won't bother to check the facts.
Quote:
You've seem to have missed " In summer " even though you highlighted it. My point IS that people who don't think of Canada and beaches, like the person I was responding to, would be surprised that the ocean temperatures IN SUMMER are ON AVERAGE are warmer in Vancouver than a city in California, a place where people assume that the warmer would be MUCH warmer.
As another poster pointed out the ocean temps can be even warmer on Canada's east coast.
Your pimping comment is way off base.
I didn't miss anything. You don't seem to realize when summer is. According to meteorologists, summer extends for the whole months of June, July, and August in the northern hemisphere. According to your link the Sea temp in San Francisco from August 16-31 (i.e. - summer) is 16C.

And I'll help you out a little bit because you seem to have trouble reading your own sources. When you say "The link I provides states Vancouver's is on average 17C in July and 18C in August" you are incorrectly providing the air temps - scroll down your link for the sea temps.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think you are misreading the link you posted. At the top, it states, "August is the hottest month in Vancouver with an average temperature of 18°C (64.4°F)."

Then it goes on to say, "The best month to swim in the sea is in July when the average sea temperature is 14°C (57.2°F)."

I think you got the two confused?
LOL…is my face red? Yes I did…however the point is still the same, that Canada has swimmable beaches and the the temperature in summer has a lot less variance from a Californian beach, than most people, especially the person I was originally responding to.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I didn't miss anything. You don't seem to realize when summer is. According to meteorologists, summer extends for the whole months of June, July, and August in the northern hemisphere. According to your link the Sea temp in San Francisco from August 16-31 (i.e. - summer) is 16C.

And I'll help you out a little bit because you seem to have trouble reading your own sources. When you say "The link I provides states Vancouver's is on average 17C in July and 18C in August" you are incorrectly providing the air temps - scroll down your link for the sea temps.
Yes you are right. See my response to Dunno

Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
Quote:
In regards to Northumberland Straight…from wiki.

"The strait's shallow depths lend to warm water temperatures in summer months, with some areas reaching 25°C, or 77°F. Consequently the strait is reportedly home to the warmest ocean water temperatures in Canada, and some of the warmest ocean water temperatures on the Atlantic coast north of Virginia."
Quote:
According to seatemperature.org even the sea temps in Boston are warmer than those in either Prince Edward Island or New Brunswick. That some of these Maritime beach's have warmer water than any ocean beach on the NE US coast north of Virginia is just another one of those unexplainable things which makes Canada just so darn awesome!
Quote:
I am not exaggerating, though I cannot explain it scientifically. These are the actual average temperatures. Note that average daytime temperatures are generally above 25C in the area I mentioned, but at night it generally drops to 15-18C, so the overall average is generally just below 20C in most places. But the water temperature as I said is 20-25C most everywhere that is inhabited in this part of the world for lakes, but not in all places on the ocean. For example, the ocean waters around most of Nova Scotia tend to be quite cold.
I'm just finding it hard to image how water can be hotter than the average air temperature. The water gets heat added up by day and lost at night, so the water should at most be as hot as the average or a little cooler.

Last edited by markovian process; 01-28-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World