Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

Here I'd say the majority of women ages say 16-50 wear at least some makeup, a sizeable minority perhaps excessively. It's definitely increased over the years (judging by old photos, videos.etc), especially among a lot of teenage girls. I'd say a bit less so in some rural areas, but it still seems a fairly big part of the culture. I guess we're a developed country largely influenced by America and consumerism.

While it varies from place to place, I'd say clothing here is pretty gendered...even if women wear shorts, they wear really short shorts that differ from men's shorts (this has been the trend for awhile). I notice skirts are sort of coming back and summer dresses (though not long skirts/dresses so much) as well. In some ways it's actually LESS unisex than before. Indeed, women who dress too casually or 'boyishly' often actually are lesbian (before you lecture me about judging, I've seen a group of women all with short hair, a lot of piercings, longer shorts, talking about dating women, definitely a trend, even if women who wear those clothes aren't obviously always lesbian). I guess there's a consciousness that they're 'butch' which I find rather silly. I sorta miss the fashion/styles of the 90s that were more casual instead of trying hard to be sexy.

What's it like in your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Same here in Canada.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM

545 posts, read 866,054 times
90's were the peak of unisex fashion. Nowadays around here women and men don't dress alike, but their cloths looks alike nevertheless. Same textures, same colours, same utility, only the cut of cloths change. But it makes quite a difference in the end. And most women wear make up, but many men too so..
Main differences are with hairs/accessories/hand bags.
But let face it, for both sex, 90's were more manly, 2010's is more feminine..

http://static1.puretrend.com/article...it-637x0-3.jpg

http://business.ovh.net/~flavorma/ww...09/03/lisa.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7cGCPBXHyE...-ajust_650.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-26-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times
In the Philippines, women are usually simple. Women don't usually wear makeup and don't really dress up. I can easily recognise a Filipina even just by looking at her back any where in the world because of the usual get up which is t- shirt and jeans. I actually wish women would dress up a little to look more neat and feminine .

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-26-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
In the Philippines, women are usually simple. Women don't usually wear makeup and don't really dress up. I can easily recognise a Filipina even just by looking at her back any where in the world because of the usual get up which is t- shirt and jeans. I actually wish women would dress up a little to look more neat and feminine .
Yes it obviously varies a lot with class. Lower class women seem to have more important things to do than looking pretty, many are busy working hard to support themselves and their family. The richer Filipinas I've seen here dress up more.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes it obviously varies a lot with class. Lower class women seem to have more important things to do than looking pretty, many are busy working hard to support themselves and their family. The richer Filipinas I've seen here dress up more.
Even the ones who are in the upper middle class are still quite simple ( many prefer a more natural look, just having clear skin and a little blush on the cheeks ). For Filipinos, being beautiful is not necessarily
someone who wears makeup or the smokey eye look but someone who has flawless skin that glows.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-26-2014 at 03:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Even the ones who are in the upper middle class are still quite simple ( many prefer a more natural look, just having clear skin and a little blush on the cheeks ). For Filipinos, being beautiful is not necessarily
someone who wears makeup or the smokey eye look but someone who has flawless skin that glows.
Oh yes...then again you have the bargirls and working girls who get all dolled up...

Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh yes...then again you have the bargirls and working girls who get all dolled up...
BArgirls are an exception. Let's just talk about women in general.
Even career women are not as dolled up as East Asians. They wear a little makeup yes as it required in their offices etc. but still, not as much as East Asians. East Asians put so much black eye shadow or eye liners and lash extensions.
I am not a typical Filipina in terms of makeup and dressing up. I love makeup and looking polished so I am very observant on women who are also more polished that is why I think East Asians wear more makeup than filipinos.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
I taught university students in China. The girls definitely wore nice and different clothing from the boys. But all the students male and female wore very colorful clothing (meaning male students wore red and purple which you don't usually see in the USA). The female students did not wear heavy make-up.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I taught university students in China. The girls definitely wore nice and different clothing from the boys. But all the students male and female wore very colorful clothing (meaning male students wore red and purple which you don't usually see in the USA). The female students did not wear heavy make-up.
Probably they start wearing more in their late 20's, because I see many in their late 20's wearing makeup usually more on the eyes ( black eye shadow and eye liners ). Still, not the same as in the UK where many even teens really wear so much makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World