Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Alaska Range 22 42.31%
European Alps 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times

Advertisements

Which mountain range is more beautiful, bigger, taller, picturesque looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
The Alps are very beautiful, with lots of beautiful European towns and ski resorts.

As much as I think Alaska is beautiful, it's very remote.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 AM

844 posts, read 1,062,957 times
I've visited the Alps twice, but never been to Alaska, therefore I can't really compare. So I'm gonna give an opinion based on pictures I've seen of Alaska.

Which mountain range is more beautiful? Eye is in the beauty of the beholder. I suppose some people may root for the Alaskan range, while others may just love the Alps.

Which is bigger? Probably the Alaskan one. Btw, why didn't you include other places to your list, such as; the Carpathians, the Atlas, Andes or Himalayas to name a few?

Which is taller? Isn't mount McKinney -the tallest mountain in North America- located there?

Which is more picturesque looking? If we include those beautiful alpine villages in the picture, I suppose the alps win this one. But again, it all depends on the individual taste, and what one is looking for.

Cheers

Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Which is bigger? Probably the Alaskan one. Btw, why didn't you include other places to your list, such as; the Carpathians, the Atlas, Andes or Himalayas to name a few?
I like the European Alps better, one big plus another poster noted is how it isnt as remote.
Live in or Visiting Milan, Geneva, Munich or Vienna you have them right in your back yard.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I like the European Alps better, one big plus another poster noted is how it isnt as remote.
Live in or Visiting Milan, Geneva, Munich or Vienna you have them right in your back yard.
Oh boy, we used to make fun of the native Viennese because of the fact that most of them can't ski properly

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
By spire measure, the Alps are actually more rugged:

Some Ruggedness (DRS) Comparisons for Mountain Ranges

Why? The Alaska Range has some very tall peaks but it doesn't have as many big peaks or as much constant steep sided valleys. The Alps look tall for their height, and impressively jagged.

The accessibility, with extensive road and rail networks, and having nice cities and towns is a big plus, but it's also a bit of a negative. The Alps sound a bit crowded and overdeveloped, and the area is so densely populated, just about every has been touched by civillization. I'd guess it'd be much harder to feel like you're from civilization and in a completely natural environment compared to American mountains, let alone Alaskan ones. For some, the combination of human + natural landscape is one of a plus.

I'd like to visit both.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:25 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Alaska, of course. It has Mt McKinley, the most prominent peak in the world. Alps are overrated, there are higher mountains in Turkey, Iran, throughout Asia, Andes.etc.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Alaska, of course. It has Mt McKinley, the most prominent peak in the world. Alps are overrated, there are higher mountains in Turkey, Iran, throughout Asia, Andes.etc.
Height isn't everything, see the spire measure link I posted above. This Colorado Rocky peak is higher and more promiment than the second.

Mount Elbert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

vs

Eiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
The alps is a magical place. Beautiful castles, villages, towns and cities with a stunning backdrop. Can't really comment on Alaska.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
Having lived in Alaska and visited Europe many times I would say the Alps are over and above anything AK has to offer. They are more accessible, much more rugged. Skiing areas abound in the alps whereas Alaska has no ski areas in the Alaska range and no where near the variety of alpine skiing the alps has to offer.
Both the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc make much more of a statement than Denali IMO, they may not be as high but they both stand out whereas Denali blends with Mt. Hunter and Mt.Foraker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World