Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times

Advertisements

One thing that is often talked about in countries like the US, as well as others like the UK, Canada and Australia is the gender gap in engineers and scientists.

Proportionally, very few women choose these careers. Only 10-20% of those who have an engineering degree in these countries are women.

Women in engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet, apparently... surprisingly in some non-western nations, like China, 40% of engineers are women. It was even greater than 50% in the former USSR. Some of this might be attributed to communism "forcing gender equality" onto them.

Stubborn Obstacles: What's Hindering Female Engineers? » Knowledge@Wharton

However, it seems gender gaps in engineering are smaller in many other non-Anglo nations within a wide range of geographical regions. What makes Greeks or Mongolians more gender-equal in this regard than Americans? Some say the geeky stereotypes of engineers are strongest in (ironically, said to be the most individualistic) Anglo cultures, which turns women off choosing the career. Do you think this is true?

From this link

What Gender Is Science? » Contexts

"Although women do not reach the fifty-percent mark in any country, they come very close in Indonesia, where 48 percent of engineering graduates are female (compared to a 49 percent share of all Indonesian college and university graduates). Women comprise about a third of recent engineering graduates in a diverse group of countries including Mongolia, Greece, Serbia, Panama, Denmark, Bulgaria, and Malaysia."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
I'm not sure about that. I honestly never thought there were so many women in engineering in russia.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times
Well, that article claimed it was for the former USSR so it could be somewhat contrived/forced, but still if the stats for some of the other (often non-western) countries are true, they at least show higher numbers than for the Anglo countries.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Well, that article claimed it was for the former USSR so it could be somewhat contrived/forced, but still if the stats for some of the other (often non-western) countries are true, they at least show higher numbers than for the Anglo countries.
Oh I mistyped. My original sentence. I meant to say " I didn't know" not "I'm not sure about that"

A lot of it probably has to do with parental influences. I dated an Indian girl and her parents were NOT HAPPY at all when she decided against Engineering. Her little sister did electrical engineering.

It's pretty normal for a parent to choose the career of their son or daughter and give them no choice at all. Some will even disown their kids for going against them.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
I've heard this too from several people from other countries. I'm not exactly sure why there are so few, other than the usual explanations that engineering is still seen as a male thing, as it's kind of science/math heavy, and I'm not sure if female intake is increasing. I think in some ways though things are quite gendered here at least in terms of employment. As corollary there are still few labourers/construction workers, and there might be an element of a 'boy's club'. In my profession, town planning, however, almost half of planners are female, but planning isn't quite as intensely mathematical as engineering is and in some ways has more in common with the legal profession.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Dunno about the other countries with high percentages of female engineers, but some cultures like China put a much higher family emphasis on achieving "$uccess", for both men and women, especially thru education. And unlike say, "PolySci" or "Liberal Arts", Engineering is usually perceived as a solid ticket to a job there (BTW, we have a shortage of those skills).

Plus going to college is also an expensive, and very competitive "luxury" in most non-western countries. Unlike in many "individualistic" western countries, which often take the availability of college more for granted, and where some folks even spend many years, dabbling in different majors while trying to "find" themselves!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
other than the usual explanations that engineering is still seen as a male thing, as it's kind of science/math heavy
Yeah. Men are still more likely to take maths or science in university, whereas women are more likely to take something like social studies, art or something similar.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah. Men are still more likely to take maths or science in university, whereas women are more likely to take something like social studies, art or something similar.
Yeah it seems a ton of women are still into 'anything with children', I guess those biological urges might still play a role here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World