Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm blown away that 'oriental' is considered rude. I've never heard anyone use it so I'm curious how the connotation became negative. If here you describe someone as asian, there is almost certainly no way that anyone would consider the possibility of Syrian or Pakistani, for example.
I think some words are just considered un-PC because of association. Back in the 1920s, for instance, people might refer to 'Orientals' or 'Negros' matter-of-factly, but since it was a racist time, people think of those terms as redolent of a more racist era, where the name might also be used to express those racist views of the era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Saw once on a community forum for my University that someone asked where they could find good Indian food around, which seriously, really, honestly sparked a huge argument over whether or not they meant 'east Indian' or indigenous food. Obviously people just looking to start fights. Kind of unrelated, but I couldn't believe it.

What? lol

"Anyone know where I can find a place that serves good bird brain stew, with some stink fish, that serves decent black drink in Sudbury?"

Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Saw once on a community forum for my University that someone asked where they could find good Indian food around, which seriously, really, honestly sparked a huge argument over whether or not they meant 'east Indian' or indigenous food. Obviously people just looking to start fights. Kind of unrelated, but I couldn't believe it.
Yeah... especially when it comes to the university crowd, where you have people who for the first time in their life are being challenged to confront issues of racism, classism, etc., and literally confront anything that they perceive to be a "microaggression" or whatever other buzzword they've recently latched on to. It happens here... it happens on Facebook... basically anywhere people have a springboard to be confrontational but can bow out with no social repercussions, you'll find dumb crap like this.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah... especially when it comes to the university crowd, where you have people who for the first time in their life are being challenged to confront issues of racism, classism, etc., and literally confront anything that they perceive to be a "microaggression" or whatever other buzzword they've recently latched on to. It happens here... it happens on Facebook... basically anywhere people have a springboard to be confrontational but can bow out with no social repercussions, you'll find dumb crap like this.
Exactly...humans get a high from butting heads over the stupidest crap.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, California, Texas.etc used to be part of Mexico, so in a way Hispanics are 'more' native than many others. So there is an entrenched Latino heritage there, from the food to the place names. But yes, there are definitely Spanish-speaking enclaves in California, Arizona, NM, Texas, and New York, Florida.

Mandarin speakers are definitely dominating on the whole here, the PRC is now the largest source of immigrants to Australia. You can find all sorts of Chinese cuisines, regional cuisines, even Uyghur food! The Vietnamese do tend not to integrate as much as the Chinese, in general.
In CA, enclaves no longer matter. A Spanish speaker can go anywhere and not have much of a problem. Someone anywhere will speak Spanish and newspapers and TV and Radio will be available in Spanish.

Here' the Chinese are mainly Cantonese as it is in most western countries. They have been here over 100 years and are still somewhat to themselves so to speak. Vietnamese have formed communities in some areas and in those areas, they are less assimilated. Even those born here learn Vietnamese first and often speak English with an accent. Unlike the Cantonese however, they don't seem to clash as much, despite maintaining their culture and language. Other Asian groups such as Laotians, Thai, Cambodians ect. do seem to integrate more.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm blown away that 'oriental' is considered rude. I've never heard anyone use it so I'm curious how the connotation became negative. If here you describe someone as asian, there is almost certainly no way that anyone would consider the possibility of Syrian or Pakistani, for example.
During the 1960's it became like that. It was at that time that Black Americans wanted to be called black and not negro, not knowing that negro means black. Oriental was another Latin word that was not familiar so East Asian Americans, like their Latino and black counterparts insisted on them making the label for themselves so Asian became what they chose. A that time, there were scantly few people from India or other parts of Asia here so there was no conflict in nomenclature.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think some words are just considered un-PC because of association. Back in the 1920s, for instance, people might refer to 'Orientals' or 'Negros' matter-of-factly, but since it was a racist time, people think of those terms as redolent of a more racist era, where the name might also be used to express those racist views of the era.
Good point Postman.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
In CA, enclaves no longer matter. A Spanish speaker can go anywhere and not have much of a problem. Someone anywhere will speak Spanish and newspapers and TV and Radio will be available in Spanish.

Here' the Chinese are mainly Cantonese as it is in most western countries. They have been here over 100 years and are still somewhat to themselves so to speak. Vietnamese have formed communities in some areas and in those areas, they are less assimilated. Even those born here learn Vietnamese first and often speak English with an accent. Unlike the Cantonese however, they don't seem to clash as much, despite maintaining their culture and language. Other Asian groups such as Laotians, Thai, Cambodians ect. do seem to integrate more.
Well, aren't a lot of parts of CA still very 'white' or without a lot of Spanish speakers? Like the north, for instance?

How much has the community been 'replenished'? I haven't met many Chinese Americans, a girl from SF, and I just thought of her as American. She was like 4th generation, which is uncommon here, although you have people whose ancestry dates from the Gold Rushes of the 1850s. The celebrity Chef Kylie Kwong and Jeff Fatt of the Wiggles are two examples that come to mind.

We're much more in China's 'orbit', economically and now culturally. Also we had the White Australia Policy from about 1910-1970, so most Chinese and other Asians are recent immigrants. Go to the centre of Melbourne or Sydney literally over half the people you see walking around are Asian.

Yes, I knew a Cambodian Australian girl who still had a foreign accent despite being born here. Her first language was Teochew (a Chinese language), actually. Clash with who? I notice some towns in CA have large Cambodian, Laotian, Hmong communities, which seems interesting.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
During the 1960's it became like that. It was at that time that Black Americans wanted to be called black and not negro, not knowing that negro means black. Oriental was another Latin word that was not familiar so East Asian Americans, like their Latino and black counterparts insisted on them making the label for themselves so Asian became what they chose. A that time, there were scantly few people from India or other parts of Asia here so there was no conflict in nomenclature.
Yes, they settled on 'black' and white folks acqueised. I don't see why 'negro' should be unacceptable since as you say it just means black in Spanish. No doubt some 'white guilt' played a part. It seems 'oriental' remained acceptable in Britain until later but apparently now it's getting un-PC there now.

Oriental is generally only acceptable for things like rugs or styles now lol.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,720 times
In the States, actually, Asian refers to East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Mongols), Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Filipino, Thai, Cambodian), and South Asian (Indians, Pakistanis). But Arabs, Israelis, and Persians are, interestingly enough, White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World