Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
There are a few I can think of, off the top of my head but they are smaller island countries, not populous ones like the UK.

Indo-Jamaican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demographics of Trinidad and Tobago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fiji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no idea if they use "Asian" in those countries that way though as any "race" category.
Found another example actually. This one with a more hefty population.

Asian South African - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, not as many S.Asians in N.Ireland so maybe they have a different definition of 'Asian' than the English. I'm sure, however, that increasingly Brits are also referring to other Asians as 'Asian.' Still though it's more common for Brits than Americans or Australians to specifically call an Asian a 'Chinese' even if they may be from Korea or Thailand.
Good points. When I was in Oakland, we had two Asians at my job. A lady came in and asked if anyone spoke Chinese. The guy, a manager, asked which form and she said Mandarin. He replied "can't help you". He was of Cantonese origin like most people in Oakland and San Francisco. there was another girl and everyone pointed to her saying she's Chinese, maybe she speaks it. Me and her had to explain that she wasn't Chinese but Vietnamese and they are not and do not speak Chinese.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In America, the first dividing line is always skin color. So many - if not most - Americans will see Asians as white/cream skinned Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. The darkness of most Indians and Pakistani people will trip the circuit breaker and exclude them as people from Asia.

In fact I would bet the darker Cambodian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, and others would probably make them think "hispanic" before Asian.
Nothing about those people looks Hispanic.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nothing about those people looks Hispanic.
Hispanic refers to culture. As Hispanics can refer to any race, as long as they have Spanish language or culture ties so it's not like they can look only one way.

None of those people have ties with Spain, physical appearance or otherwise, anyways so the point is moot.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Only a small part of the coast in Humbolt County are older hippies. Most of the people in that part of CA are conservative, libertarians types who want to secede from CA and form their own state. Ok, maybe most don't want to secede but most are conservative. Visit the CA forum for those threads.

We don't so much get immigration from China of Cantonese. What happens is, they come over as illegals, often stowed away on cargo ships. About 15 years ago, a large raft was spotted by the US Coast Guard off the coast of Baja Mexico that contained a large number of Chinese attempting to enter Mexico and from there, they may enter the US. Some stay in Mexico. After Mexicans, Chinese are probably the largest illegal immigrant population in California. At least it used to be although Salvadorans could have replaced them.
Really, still? I didn't think there were any Chinese illegals. Most of the Chinese here are legal, though some are illegal, but they come on planes, not boats.

Regarding 'boat people' most are poor refugees fleeing from Afghanistan, Iraq, India, Sri Lanka, Burma, often from dangerous conflict.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Hispanic refers to culture. As Hispanics can refer to any race, as long as they have Spanish language or culture ties so it's not like they can look only one way.

None of those people have ties with Spain, physical appearance or otherwise, anyways so the point is moot.
Yeah, I'm not going to split hairs with you. I know all that. However, when you live in a state with a high Hispanic population, Hispanic starts to take on a look most can recognize whether you choose to believe it or not. the people mentioned in that post are never mistaken for Hispanic. Vietnamese and Chinese maybe but it's very obvious they are not Hispanic. Filipinos even look distinct from those groups.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Really, still? I didn't think there were any Chinese illegals. Most of the Chinese here are legal, though some are illegal, but they come on planes, not boats.

Regarding 'boat people' most are poor refugees fleeing from Afghanistan, Iraq, India, Sri Lanka, Burma, often from dangerous conflict.
True, I haven't heard of it happening recently but it used to. In cities like San Francisco however, there are still large numbers of illegal Chinese in the city. The city immigration office is filled with mostly Chinese in the same way most other offices are filled with Hispanics. I even heard about some Chinese illegals being deported when I was in the Bay Area. Here, "boat people" always refers to Chinese or people who are thought to be Chinese. Vietnamese, Cambodians and Laotians have refugee status. Japanese immigrated legally. So did most Koreans.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Regarding Chinese illegals in the US vs. Australia, wouldn't you expect the opposite? Australia is far closer and easier to reach for them by boat.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Regarding Chinese illegals in the US vs. Australia, wouldn't you expect the opposite? Australia is far closer and easier to reach for them by boat.
That's a good point but considering how many Chinese have come here. many of these people probably have family in the US so it's worth the risk and longer journey.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In America, the first dividing line is always skin color. So many - if not most - Americans will see Asians as white/cream skinned Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. The darkness of most Indians and Pakistani people will trip the circuit breaker and exclude them as people from Asia.

In fact I would bet the darker Cambodian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, and others would probably make them think "hispanic" before Asian.
Maybe some Filipinos, Malays and a small minority of Khmer, but certainly not Vietnamese, who are more often confused with the first three. But yeah, it's pretty easy to tell Hispanics and Filipinos apart though some Hispanics do look a bit Asian too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World