Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,422,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Lol, those surveys are about as trustworthy as a crooked politician...

The girl probably has an agenda (to say that America is so great and all Brits want to live there). The ones who said yes are the ones you SAW saying yes. She could've interviewed 50 people and chosen 10 who said 'yes.' Or could have just selected the 10 knowing they would probably say yes.
Do they still have CNNNN in Australia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,876,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Cry babies why? Because we don't think America is the ****? Go do one as us Brits would say.

Guessing this is a joke.

Exactly I partially agree.

Cough cough south Bronx, cough cough Philadelphia, cough cough the rust belt, cough cough Gun crime massacres cough cough... Yeah you get the point. Cough.

Do me a favour as us Brits would say, I love this country and its saying.
Until you visit here leave Philadelphia out of your childish pissing contests.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,422,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's like those videos that are popular overseas of "stupid Americans" not being able to point to Canada on a map, or being goaded into saying that we should go to war with England for their supporting Iraq. Go out in public for four or five hours with a camera, start interviewing people, and you're bound to come up with a few complete morons.

If the whole premise of the video is to laugh at how stupid Americans are, why would they include footage of fifty people pointing out Canada, England, France, Iraq, Poland, and Russia on a map, or saying, "... that's not true, the English are our allies and are on the ground over there with us... are you trying to make me look stupid?" It runs counter to the expectation of the people viewing the clip. The girl who made the video can edit it however she wants to suit her agenda.

I could go out to a mall in Los Angeles and interview people coming out of GameStop and Spencer's and ask them if they wanted to move to Japan, and put together a video that proves that Americans want to move to Japan because of its superior culture and entertainment; or, I could hang out near the Revolutionary Bookstore near Harvard Square in Cambridge, and put together a montage of people confirming that conditions in the US are worse than the conditions in Cuba and that most Americans would rather live in Peru or Venezuela.
Sorry but those are hilarious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UoM3MAHxcs

Obvious they interviewed the drunkest and the highest people they could find

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 02-03-2014 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: better video

Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I even notice when touching down in the USA (various states) how perfectly ordered everything looks...perfect grid of buildings and controlled vegetation...like someone drew the lines with a ruler. That never ceases to impress me.

The UK looks far more landscaped from the air than the USA does. PA, my state, probably has more forested areas than all of England. And of course we still have bears.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well I think you need to stop getting offensive when someone says something remotely bad about the United States, it has its faults like any other country and people are allowed to their opinion as long as its not "bashing" I like many aspects of the USA, out of all countries in the world I'd feel most comfortable to live in your country and would love too especially New England.

I thought that the OP in general is a bit obsessed with the USA not just from this thread in particular. I recall him putting LA on the same level of "uniqueness" has Paris and other European cities.

Just consider for a moment if an American jumped on a person from Canada for going overboard on how much they liked the UK. Can you imagine the hue and cry from UK posters bashing the American? That is what you two did. The guy from Australia really enjoyed visiting the US, and then you and your countrymen had to get a word in on how America wasn't so great after all. It came off as petty on your part.

Most of us living here realize we have problems. But I am constantly amazed at how defensive and nationalistic Brits can be. Yet they are the first to point the finger at us.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Just recently watched a YouTube video of a girl doing a survey in London. There were only ten or so people she asked, but one of the questions was "If you could, would you want to live in America?" Everyone but one said yes. Even the person who was originally from another country.

I would assume they edited out the people that said no. In my visits to the UK I didn't find this overwhelming desire on their part to live in the US. The UK is a pretty decent first world country, so I don't think there would be loads of people wanting to pick up everything and move to another country.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,711,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Just consider for a moment if an American jumped on a person from Canada for going overboard on how much they liked the UK. Can you imagine the hue and cry from UK posters bashing the American? That is what you two did. The guy from Australia really enjoyed visiting the US, and then you and your countrymen had to get a word in on how America wasn't so great after all. It came off as petty on your part.

Most of us living here realize we have problems. But I am constantly amazed at how defensive and nationalistic Brits can be. Yet they are the first to point the finger at us.
Yeah. Two Brits, one who'd never been and one you'd briefly visited Florida, making not only big pronouncements as facts but also speaking for their entire nation...

Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,499,358 times
Quote:

I think most Brits have better things to be doing. P London and Mac15 are young - they'll grow out of it eventually.

Quote:
I would assume they edited out the people that said no. In my visits to the UK I didn't find this overwhelming desire on their part to live in the US. The UK is a pretty decent first world country, so I don't think there would be loads of people wanting to pick up everything and move to another country.
A lot of Brits have this romanticised view of the US, but actually know very little about it. If you asked them why they want to move there, you'd probably struggle to get a decent or coherent response - they'd probably cite Disney World, New York and Hollywood as their reasons for wanting to move there.

Either way, just because someone would want to live somewhere else, doesn't mean they hate where they live. I'd love to live somewhere abroad, but that doesn't mean I hate living here. I just like to travel. I'd like to live in the US for a while, but not forever. Ditto with most countries.

Plus, you guys have brown recluse spiders.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 02-04-2014 at 05:15 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,792,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A lot of Brits have this romanticised view of the US, but actually know very little about it. If you asked them why they want to move there, you'd probably struggle to get a decent or coherent response - they'd probably cite Disney World, New York and Hollywood as their reasons for wanting to move there.
Yeah, and that's how Americans view Britain and the British: most Americans have an affectionate and sympathetic view towards England, and then there are those who looooooove England, and if you ask them why, they'll tell you stuff like

- I love Earl Grey tea
- I love Dr. Who
- I love libraries
- I love English music
- I love English humor
- I love British TV
- I love the BBC
- I love British cinema

They've probably never set foot there and don't know what a chav is. They don't realize that the average English guy isn't a foppish, well-dressed fellow sipping some tea at mid-day from a Tardis-shaped mug inside of a musty library, who knows how to play the entire Led Zeppelin, Blur, Oasis, and Bloc Party back catalogue on guitar, always has a charmingly self-depricating comeback on tap, can recite every episode of Foyle's War and the East Enders without a moment's notice, is perfectly informed about all world politics, and went to film school on top of it all. The average English person, upon reading what I just typed out, would probably go, "...what?" But, that's the sort of romanticism that we have in the 'States.

Quote:
Either way, just because someone would want to live somewhere else, doesn't mean they hate where they live. I'd love to live somewhere abroad, but that doesn't mean I hate living here. I just like to travel. I'd like to live in the US for a while, but not forever. Ditto with most countries.
Yeah, I love it here in China... but, it'll most likely never be home to me, I spent the first 30 years of my life in the US and that's where most of my family and friends are. I have very heavy social and political criticisms of my home, but that doesn't mean that I hate it or fear the thought of moving back. Hell, I could really go for a burrito right about now

It's possible to have respect and an affinity for more than one place at a time, which many people forget.

Quote:
Plus, you guys have brown recluse spiders.
You've got shrews, which while not poisonous, have those terrifying prehensile noses that invade my nightmares

Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,237,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, and that's how Americans view Britain and the British: most Americans have an affectionate and sympathetic view towards England, and then there are those who looooooove England, and if you ask them why, they'll tell you stuff like

- I love Earl Grey tea
- I love Dr. Who
- I love libraries
- I love English music
- I love English humor
- I love British TV
- I love the BBC
- I love British cinema
Do Americans really think libraries are characteristically British? I mean, otherwise your list and the argument it supports sounds legit to me, but libraries?

Just about every city, town, and village in America has libraries; just a spot of jolly 'ol in the cultural desert of the colonies, I suppose!

While there are Americans who have a very stereotyped view of Britian, I think most of those who do immerse themselves in some of the subjects on your list probably do have at least a somewhat more nuanced view of the diverse cultural tableau (a nice way of saying chavs, yobs, fat, nicotine-addicted eastenders with three kids of different dads, and other underclass characters) of Britain.

Not every British TV show in America focuses on high tea and fox hunts. Probably the most popular long-running British comedy in America, Keeping up Appearances, is entirely based around the premise of the fiction of the importance and preponderance of upper-class British values and lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World