U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM

613 posts, read 1,023,167 times

Advertisements

New Zealand, although a small country, is diverse even if you use a "racial" definition, as it has lots of native-descended people.

New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 2006 census, 67.6 percent identified ethnically as European and 14.6 percent as Māori.[236] Other major ethnic groups include Asian (9.2 percent) and Pacific peoples (6.9 percent), while 11.1 percent identified themselves simply as a "New Zealander" (or similar) and 1 percent identified with other ethnicities.[237]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,511,787 times
^ ^ Yeah, but with a population density of only 39 people per square mile (about half the U.S.), they're probably lucky if they even see each other (…lol)!

Population Density per Square Mile of Countries

Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM

9,992 posts, read 11,212,688 times
Canada seems most liberal while the United States the least liberal but as some as said large portions of the USA is very liberal like the Pacific Northwest and New England while the deep south is very conservative. Because of this split in conservatism and Liberalism the USA could be less liberal than say Australia but not drastically so.

For Australia and New Zealand I'd say there really similar.

Rank most to least liberal

Canada
United States
New Zealand
Australia

Canada seems very liberal to me and progressive.

So I put the United States second to most liberal because I think the majority of the Country is open minded from the West coast, Colorado, New England States and the upper Midwest I'd say is liberal to varying degrees. Even the so called bible belt, I'm sure the larger cities are not all that conservative.

I have this notion that Australia is quite sexist and racist, too.
Violence against Indians in Australia controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why does the world think Australia is racist? | Sally Rawsthorne | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Quote:
“Listen to white people there talk about Abo’s on welfare, and you’ll quickly realise America doesn’t really have a race problem,”
Quote:
As seen in the Challenging Racism report, we see ourselves as believers in multiculturalism and diversity. But this is obviously in direct contrast with how we are seen on a world stage. Type “Why are Australians” into Google, and wait for the autofill to ask you “Why are Australians so racist?” The disconnect between the perspective espoused by the Challenging Racism Report and the observations made by our foreign friends must surely undermine any confidence we have that Australia is a multicultural place where a fair go is offered to all.
NZ seems like Australia but more open minded. Which is the complete oppostie of NZ, their native peoples are not undermined like how aboriginals or ''abo's'' are in Australia.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

19,269 posts, read 17,079,528 times
NZ, Australia and Canada would probably be much the same, with the US lagging at the bottom, due to the death penalty.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM

22,256 posts, read 26,774,291 times
I'd say Canada and New Zealand are at the front.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,530,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

Violence against Indians in Australia controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why does the world think Australia is racist? | Sally Rawsthorne | Comment is free | theguardian.com

NZ seems like Australia but more open minded. Which is the complete oppostie of NZ, their native peoples are not undermined like how aboriginals or ''abo's'' are in Australia.
A large proportion of immigration from NZ to Aus are Maori, Pacific Islander and other minority groups. In terms of which country offers them a better future, they are voting with their feet. I've certainly heard some very caustic views on New Zealand's race relations from Maori now living in Australia. Similarly, Australia has never experienced the types of confrontations between aboriginal peoples and wider society that occurred in Canada in the 1970s and later. Nor has it experienced the type racial violence that the US (and UK) has seen.

But while I wouldn't say Aus is less racist than those countries overall; I certainly wouldn't say its more racist either.

Seriously, you seem to be basing your views of Aus on the typical reporting in the UK media, which is invariably skewed, simplistic and unsophisticated and more of a projection of UK attitudes than anything else.

Last edited by Richard1098; 01-28-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,283,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
A large proportion of immigration from NZ to Aus are Maori, Pacific Islander and other minority groups. In terms of which country offers them a better future, they are voting with their feet. I've certainly heard some very caustic views on New Zealand's race relations from Maori now living in Australia. Similarly, Australia has never experienced the types of confrontations between aboriginal peoples and wider society that occurred in Canada in the 1970s and later. Nor has it experienced the type racial violence that the US (and UK) has seen.

But while I wouldn't say Aus is less racist than those countries overall; I certainly wouldn't say its more racist either.

Seriously, you seem to be basing your views of Aus on the typical reporting in the UK media, which is invariably skewed, simplistic and unsophisticated and more of a projection of UK attitudes than anything else.
Certainly when someone mentions people from New Zealand the first thing that comes to my mind these days is a person who is NOT white.

I have read that the southern suburbs of Metro Brisbane and Gold Coast Reigon is home to the second largest population of Maori in the world after Auckland.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-28-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM

14,787 posts, read 15,524,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Canada seems most liberal while the United States the least liberal but as some as said large portions of the USA is very liberal like the Pacific Northwest and New England while the deep south is very conservative. Because of this split in conservatism and Liberalism the USA could be less liberal than say Australia but not drastically so.

For Australia and New Zealand I'd say there really similar.

Rank most to least liberal

Canada
United States
New Zealand
Australia

Canada seems very liberal to me and progressive.

So I put the United States second to most liberal because I think the majority of the Country is open minded from the West coast, Colorado, New England States and the upper Midwest I'd say is liberal to varying degrees. Even the so called bible belt, I'm sure the larger cities are not all that conservative.

Jesus Christ.

There were no racially motivated attacks against Indians in Australia.

Please do not use that word for Aboriginals. Remember, it was those of British ancestry that treated them so horrifically.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 01-28-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,476,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa is much more diverse than those other countries

san Francisco and new England are more liberal than the vast majority of new Zealand and Australia , by contrast Alabama is far more conservative than any part of rural Australia or new Zealand , the biggest difference here is that rural Australia and new Zealand are not religious where as rural usa and probably Canada , are
Australia has more overseas born, and we're very diverse. Remember the US is much more than California or New York, or Chicago.etc. On the whole Australia is more diverse and more international than the States.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM

9,992 posts, read 11,212,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Jesus Christ.

There were no racially motivated attacks against Indians in Australia.

Please do not use that word for Aboriginals. Remember, it was those of British ancestry that treated them so horrifically.
Yeah sure they were no racially motivated attacks against Indians in Australia that's why there's so many articles about it online. And I was using that term to quote what Australians currently call Aboriginals and by the way you can't blame Britons for the mistreatment of Aboriginals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World