Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yeah sure they were no racially motivated attacks against Indians in Australia that's why there's so many articles about it online. And I was using that term to quote what Australians currently call Aboriginals and by the way you can't blame Britons for the mistreatment of Aboriginals.
Have you even bother to read your own link? Do the papers in London scream racism every time a person of Indian decent is mugged in the city?

The English systematically destroyed indigenous cultures all over the world for centuries, and are in no position what so ever to pass judgement on any nation about what they left behind.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-28-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Yeah sure they were no racially motivated attacks against Indians in Australia that's why there's so many articles about it online. And I was using that term to quote what Australians currently call Aboriginals and by the way you can't blame Britons for the mistreatment of Aboriginals.
riiiight. Yes, the media never beat up a story.

There is no evidence to suggest these were racially motivated. None.

What about those poor Africans living in India? Last I saw, we weren't throwing stones at Indians, for being Indian.

We call Aboriginals that do we? I can't remember the last time I heard that term. Clearly, you are making statements based on what you read online.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
The most appalling treatment of Aboriginal Australians occurred in the colonial era, when what are now Australian states were British colonies administered from the UK.

As for attacks on Indians, do some research into certain events over the last few years. One "attack" turned out to be an Indian guy who inadvertently set himself alight when trying to torch his own car in an insurance fraud. Another was an Indian man killed.....by a group of fellow Indians he worked with. And there was series of brawls between gangs of Indian and Lebanese hoods in Melbourne.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa is much more diverse than those other countries

san Francisco and new England are more liberal than the vast majority of new Zealand and Australia , by contrast Alabama is far more conservative than any part of rural Australia or new Zealand , the biggest difference here is that rural Australia and new Zealand are not religious where as rural usa and probably Canada , are
What is it that makes a place liberal? I've spent a bit of time in and around San Francisco, and I didn't get the feeling that there was any real difference between here and there regarding being more/less liberal. My sister lived in Boston for quite some time and the notion of it being liberal, is only relevant within the US context, in her opinion.

I guess California's laws on pot would be the only thing I can think of.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Yeah a few Indians got beat up and that somehow proves we're a racist country? Lol , anyone who believes that all media scare-mongering should just stay home, less us racist aussies beat them!

As for aborigines, I feel some here are washing over it a bit...there is more racism towards them than you realise, but it's covert, but I think a lot of it is because of negative experiences with them. Most people will see aborigines drinking in parks, yelling out things like 'hey, come 'ere ya white c**t!' so is it a surprise they'll have a negative view of them? I've had interactions with aborigines, good and bad, though I don't pretend to understand what life is like for them. They are people just like us, many are trying to leave that ugly past behind (as wrong as what colonial Australians did we can't rewind the clock) although many have been trapped in a destructive vicious cycle. Having said that of course there are many examples of whites and others getting along with aborigines...There are things we can learn from them, those that retain their culture, at least, like bush foods...one time while my Canadian friend and I were swimming at a river near here there was an aboriginal family who were really friendly who invited us to eat with them and talked to us as if we were close friends. You'd rarely get that treatment with a non-aboriginal family.

I agree with the last part. Can't only blame Brits for that. There were folks of say Irish ancestry, for instance, who treated them bad and I've heard an old Italian man say some pretty racist things towards them.

If you visit though you probably won't experience much racism, but there is a segment of Australian society that can be racist. Don't be too surprised to hear name calling (don't expect it...i've lived here my whole life and have been called names a dozen times, being of Asian background, but honestly it doesn't affect me anymore), but in terms of actual tolerance.etc I feel we're pretty accepting of people.

Last edited by The Postman; 01-28-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
riiiight. Yes, the media never beat up a story.

There is no evidence to suggest these were racially motivated. None.

What about those poor Africans living in India? Last I saw, we weren't throwing stones at Indians, for being Indian.

We call Aboriginals that do we? I can't remember the last time I heard that term. Clearly, you are making statements based on what you read online.
To be truthful I've heard the term 'abo' used now and then...tbh even I have used it, at times, but in a totally non-racist way. I sometimes use the word 'J*p' as well (probably less offensive here than in the US, apparently offensive enough there it's censored!). Also sometimes skip, wog, ch**k, if the company finds it acceptable, but more in a joking manner not in a hateful or racist way. To me they're just short hand ways of saying it, in the Aussie way, and I don't mean it to be derogatory, but if an aboriginal person finds it offensive I will respect that and not use it. Rolf Harris' 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport' speaks of 'abos.' 'Let me abos go loose, let me abos go loose, they're of no further use, let me abo's go loose.' It does sound racist, not just for the term but the idea they're like slaves or something haha.

In working class Australian culture it's not common for mates to say things like, 'come here ya dumb c**t!' or 'ah, you're a typical wog!' to their mates which would seem odd to an American, although I think some do that too.

Anyway, the fact is, most Australians don't have much interaction with aborigines. I'm sure some have not even met any and I know of one teenage girl who says she's never even SEEN one! That's believable if you live in say Melbourne, all the times I've been there I've seen a handful. In contrast if you live in a place with a lot of them, not just like the NT or Kimberley but suburbs of Perth or places like Redfern in Sydney, you might at least have some experience to base it on. Let's just say, when the subject of aborigines is brought up in conversation among non-aboriginal (and not just white) Australians, it's usually negative. So no, I will not pretend the situation is totally hunky dory with aborigines.

Last edited by The Postman; 01-28-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Have you even bother to read your own link? Do the papers in London scream racism every time a person of Indian decent is mugged in the city?

The English systematically destroyed indigenous cultures all over the world for centuries, and are in no position what so ever to pass judgement on any nation about what they left behind.
I don't think that's fair. Considering nobody alive now had anything to do with what happened back then, and considering what happens now is none of our business, I think we're very capable of passing judgement. Remember, it is our 'systematic destruction' of indigenous contries all over the world that is probably responsible for your presence on this forum. If you're appalled by this, I suggest giving back all of the land to the Aborigines immediately.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
To be truthful I've heard the term 'abo' used now and then...tbh even I have used it, at times, but in a totally non-racist way. I sometimes use the word 'J*p' as well (probably less offensive here than in the US, apparently offensive enough there it's censored!). To me they're just short hand ways of saying it, in the Aussie way, and I don't mean it to be derogatory, but if an aboriginal person finds it offensive I will respect that and not use it. Rolf Harris' 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport' speaks of 'abos.' 'Let me abos go loose, let me abos go loose, they're of no further use, let me abo's go loose.' It does sound racist, not just for the term but the idea they're like slaves or something haha.

Anyway, the fact is, most Australians don't have much interaction with aborigines. I'm sure some have not even met any and I know of one teenage girl who says she's never even SEEN one! That's believable if you live in say Melbourne, all the times I've been there I've seen a handful. In contrast if you live in a place with a lot of them, not just like the NT or Kimberley but suburbs of Perth or places like Redfern in Sydney, you might at least have some experience to base it on. Let's just say, when the subject of aborigines is brought up in conversation among non-aboriginal (and not just white) Australians, it's usually negative. So no, I will not pretend the situation is totally hunky dory with aborigines.
Who said anything is hunky dory?

Like any race - Ive met/seen good & bad.

Only an idiot would a) label an entire country racist and b) believe there are no issues within any country.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think that's fair. Considering nobody alive now had anything to do with what happened back then, and considering what happens now is none of our business, I think we're very capable of passing judgement. Remember, it is our 'systematic destruction' of indigenous contries all over the world that is probably responsible for your presence on this forum. If you're appalled by this, I suggest giving back all of the land to the Aborigines immediately.
So why say Australians are racist for how Aborigines were treated?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Who said anything is hunky dory?

Like any race - Ive met/seen good & bad.

Only an idiot would a) label an entire country racist and b) believe there are no issues within any country.
Yes, getting back to that, no, Australia is not exceptionally racist (of course goes without saying racist exists everywhere) but yes there are issues, with indigenous being one.

And yeah, making any conclusions about any entire country over a few incidents is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World