U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,968,330 times
Reputation: 1449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
The Australian Open when it was originally held at kooyong was played on grass, when the national tennis centre was built in melbourne park (then known as flinders park) the court surface was a green coloured form of hardcourt known as rebound ace but that was abandoned for a more traditional hardcourt about 6 yrs ago....now i believe the Australian and US opens basically have the same courts.

Im not sure how big the other slams are but Australia goes tennis mad during January, also known as the happy slam by the players, great atmosphere as well.
All the Grand Slams are big events.

Whilst I should imagine there are only four, due to the demand they place on players, both in terms of competition as well as training and preparation. There are however numerous tennis competitions world wide beyond the four major grand slams.

BBC SPORT | Tennis | Calendar | Calendar
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Montreal
811 posts, read 1,091,749 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is a Canadian Open. It is known as the Rogers Cup or the Rogers Masters. It is held every summer in Toronto and Montreal (the men and women alternate between each city every year).

As far as "prestige" goes it is one level below the four Grand Slam tournaments.
So why is the Rogers Cup just short of being among the Grand Slam tournaments - because Canada hasn't produced historically quite as many champion tennis players as the US, the UK, France, and Australia? What other tournament besides the Rogers Cup is comparable in terms of prestige (i.e. one notch below the Grand Slams)?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,968,330 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
So why is the Rogers Cup just short of being among the Grand Slam tournaments - because Canada hasn't produced historically quite as many champion tennis players as the US, the UK, France, and Australia? What other tournament besides the Rogers Cup is comparable in terms of prestige (i.e. one notch below the Grand Slams)?
The ATP Masters 1000 are considered the most prestigious after the Grand Slams.

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ATP World Tour - Official Site of Men's Professional Tennis

In terms of women's tennis, the WTA Premier Tournaments are the most prestigious.

WTA Premier tournaments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home | WTA Tennis English

Last edited by Bamford; 01-30-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Munich, Germany
1,762 posts, read 1,505,194 times
Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The ATP Masters 1000 are considered the most prestigious after the Grand Slams.

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ATP World Tour - Official Site of Men's Professional Tennis

In terms of women's tennis, the WTA Premier Tournaments are the most prestigious.

WTA Premier tournaments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home | WTA Tennis English
Actually it is
Grand Slams > World Tour Finals > Masters 1000
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Vic, Australia
85 posts, read 141,310 times
Reputation: 88
Where then do you place the Davis Cup?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM
 
231 posts, read 300,172 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
All the Grand Slams are big events.

Whilst I should imagine there are only four, due to the demand they place on players, both in terms of competition as well as training and preparation. There are however numerous tennis competitions world wide beyond the four major grand slams.

BBC SPORT | Tennis | Calendar | Calendar
Yep they're all huge, but i dont think any of them generate as much local media coverage as the Australian, for eg when the US Open is on American media mostly ignores it in favour of baseball, nfl etc...the tennis gets a brief mention at the end of the news...mainly to notify the locals that Serena Williams won lol, in Australia its different the tennis dominates newspaper coverage (front page often), most of the news bulletins are held at Melbourne Park...its a tennis obsession, and all this despite the fact that all the Aussie players pretty much get eliminated before the first weekend...imagine if we had a contender!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,968,330 times
Reputation: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Actually it is
Grand Slams > World Tour Finals > Masters 1000
The ATP World Tour Finals aren't really like the Grand Slams or the ATP Masters 1000, which both use prestigious tennis clubs. The ATP World Tour Finals are currently held indoors at the O2 Arena in London in November (Winter in England) on a hard court surface, and as much as I love London, I don't rank them more highly than the ATP 1000 Masters Tournaments and venues.

ATP World Tour Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home | Barclays ATP World Tour Finals

Another indoor event is the Statoil Masters Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall in London where former big name players take on each other every December.

Statoil Masters Tennis

National tennis centre - LTA

Last edited by Bamford; 01-30-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top