Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM

391 posts, read 753,348 times

Advertisements

So basically I have two options. Live in Panama City or in Manila (for tax purposes).
I am planning on living there for 1-2 years.

Which city would you recommend? I have never been to Panama before, but I have been to Manila. Can't say I liked it, but didn't really dislike it either.

My budget is about $5000/month for everything.

I work a lot (and work from my computer), but in my free time I like to work out, eat some good food and maybe go to a nightclub every once in a while.

I'm a single guy by the way, 23 years old.

My only concern for Panama City is that it's too small for my taste. Too dead.

I like cities like Hong Kong or New York City. Unfortunately, that's out of the question in my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Well try Panama City since you tried Manila before. It's worth the risk to try it. Try to get various opinions on what would suit you best and also from locals as well.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Comparing the two is like comparing mustard and ribs... they aren't even in the same category. I honestly find Panama City boring as ______ and would never want to live there. Manila is one of my least favorite major cities in SE Asia. I prefer Bangkok so much more and Singapore. It really comes down to taste. Do you want a huge emerging city or a quiet little beach town?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:19 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Comparing the two is like comparing mustard and ribs... they aren't even in the same category. I honestly find Panama City boring as ______ and would never want to live there. Manila is one of my least favorite major cities in SE Asia. I prefer Bangkok so much more and Singapore. It really comes down to taste. Do you want a huge emerging city or a quiet little beach town?
I've only been to Manila, but these two cities seem similar in many ways. For one, they have the same climate, hot/warm year-round, with a rainy season for half the year. Panama City is a little hotter because it's further South. The temperatures in Manila for this month have been 75-85 though, so it's been nice.

Both cities have Spanish and American influence due to history. English is more widespread in Manila, but hardly anybody speaks Spanish.

Both cities are predominately Catholic, with a large Protestant minority

Both cities have tons of skyscrapers and have some of the biggest skylines in the world.

Both cities are on the ocean, but are at risk for a large earthquake.

Manila is more crowded and poor, but with the OP's budget, he can live in the nice parts of town

Makati

Makati City Philippines - YouTube

or Bonifacio Global City

Bonifacio Global City, Philippines - YouTube

Last edited by Smtchll; 01-30-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM

391 posts, read 753,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yes, this was my concern as well.

Even though I don't really like Manila, I could definitely see myself living there for a year or two. Panama City...I don't know.

The only problem is getting the visa for official residence status in the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World