Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times

Advertisements

Expat Anton Casey sorry for 'poor' transport call in Singapore | News.com.au

Especially for The Postman.. Any idea about this ? Was this mentioned in the news over there in Perth ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
No, haven't heard about it...

Dunno if it was done as some sort of joke (maybe in poor taste) or if he really is that secluded in his little expat world not to know that most Singaporeans, both rich and poor, take public transport because it's simply the most efficient way to get around. Even if I were rich I wouldn't bother driving in Singapore, a car is just a status symbol and not worth it.

Miss Singapore? Sounds like she married some rich foreign guy...I hope the son isn't already spoilt and thinks he's better than the 'common people.' Talking like that here in Perth won't get you very far, we don't like people who think they're better than other people because of their wealth (and evidently neither do many Singaporeans, or most people for that matter).

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM

Hoping some Brits in this forum will comment on this...

Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM

Latest development is he was sacked by his company and i guess whereever he goes it would be hard to find employment..

Hope he have made sufficient money to last his entire life..

Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Latest development is he was sacked by his company and i guess whereever he goes it would be hard to find employment..

Hope he have made sufficient money to last his entire life..
Well there are a lot of Singaporeans here in Perth, so he best avoid riding the bus, or stay out of the central southern and southeastern suburbs of Perth haha...luckily for him there are quite a few here who have elitist attitudes towards public transport...

Funnily my Singaporean grandfather was a bus driver, haha.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Hmm it is middle of the night over there in Uk now.. Hopefully later i will get some comments from the Brits in this forum..

I only know Bamford lives in Britain..who else ?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmm it is middle of the night over there in Uk now.. Hopefully later i will get some comments from the Brits in this forum..

I only know Bamford lives in Britain..who else ?
dunno what to put here, P London, a few others...why do you want a British perspective?

I think the idea that 'public transport is only for poor people' seems more prevalent in the US and a lesser extent here than in the UK. Although I'm sure there are people there who think they're above riding the train or bus too.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Is this incident really so surprising in a country with the The Highest Income Inequality of any of the OECD nations?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Is this incident really so surprising in a country with the The Highest Income Inequality of any of the OECD nations?
I suppose British people in the colonies thinking they're better than the natives/locals is nothing new either...

Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I suppose British people in the colonies thinking they're better than the natives/locals is nothing new either...
I like this comment from you !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World