Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Telling someone you feel sorry for them who are happy the way they are is condescending. I'd be rather annoyed that someone feels sorry for my lifestyle. Do you realize the first paragraph has nothing to do with the thread topic?

Try putting a thread on the NYC forum saying I feel sorry for you who have to take the subway every day. Some will agree because they don't like the subway. Most will be "who is this #$% out of towner criticizing our city?"
Thanks from Singapore !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 PM

Many Singaporeans travel widely so they also take transit systems in major cities in china, us , europe etc.

Some do complain and whine a lot including true blue singaporeans, but some live well with it.

Definitely there is room for improvement and we will improve , but i guess ultimately all is a matter of how one integrates into the place and lifestyle . Which well is a matter of fit... Some fit , some don't ..Period

Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
lol, interesting...

Yesterday one of the Singaporean ladies at the dinner, the sister of our friend who invited us, said that Goh was basically pushed out by LKY and his son, is there any truth to that complain?

Well yes, I suppose some complain too. Still, Singapore has it's good and bad. Isn't it's standard of living/GDP per capita already the same as Switzerland? Life expectancy there is now the highest in the world.
Goh stepped Down as PM simply because he was of the age to go already , I would think there is no truth he was kicked out. By a few years time, Harry's son will have to go as PM too, but whether he will go off in good note is hard to say .

We dun bother about GdP when it comes to SWiss standard of living l. What we want is work life balance an quality of life that is off Swiss standard

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Associated with poverty and/or old age in most cities. In some cities, many bus routes are almost empty. I live in a rural area, so no regular transit here. However, nearby is a small city (Duluth) with a fairly extensive bus transit system. The routes that go through poor neighborhoods are crowded, while those that pass through more affluent (NOT rich) areas go virtually unridden. Even the university I attended was only serviced by the bus once an hour at best, and I counted, at most, five or six other riders. (I had my own car and lived at home all throughout college, but rode the bus after I totaled my first car, and after I had a seizure, among other times). This university has a residency requirement for freshmen and sophomores, and it is common to not have a car on campus. Most of these students just get rides with their friends.

Getting your license at 16 or so used to be a rite of passage. It's less sought after today, I hear, but the kids who don't get their licenses at 16 or 17 don't take the bus, they get rides from their friends.

In general, if you ride the bus here, you probably don't have a car and/or license, which means you probably can't afford one, which means you are probably a member of the most downtrodden group of people. Car ownership is still cheap, however, in the U.S.

It's considered an essential mark of adulthood to have a license and car available to you here, basically.

In some, however (e.g. Manhattan, D.C.) all walks of life ride transit, although the richest might have their own private drivers or helicopters.

One thing that is evident is that rail-based transit (subways, light rail) increases the probability that the better-off will ride. I've heard a joke about this, that the only way to get "white people" to ride transit is to expand rail-based systems.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Many Singaporeans travel widely so they also take transit systems in major cities in china, us , europe etc.

Some do complain and whine a lot including true blue singaporeans, but some live well with it.

Definitely there is room for improvement and we will improve , but i guess ultimately all is a matter of how one integrates into the place and lifestyle . Which well is a matter of fit... Some fit , some don't ..Period
I think the biggest complaint I'd have about Singapore is the low vacation time and stressful work hours, but the US has the same problem.

One good thing about Singapore is it's close to a lot of places so it's easy for a weekend getaway.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Rail transport is actually rather pricey - some season tickets cost well over £1,000, although it depends on how far you're traveling. I get the train, and it's only around £2.70 to my place of work and back, which is no more expensive than the bus, but a lot quicker.

Commuting from a 'bedroom community' will obviously cost a lot more. 12 monthly season tickets from Northampton to London costs £6032 a year. An annual season ticket from Ilkley to Leeds is £1,156 - and Ilkley is much closer to Leeds than Northampton is to London.

Not many 'downtrodden' people can afford that.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Rail transport is actually rather pricey - some annual tickets cost over £1,000, although it depends on how far you're traveling. I get the train, and it's only around £2.70 there and back, which is no more expensive than the bus, but a lot quicker.
Yeah the tube is like 7 pounds for a day ticket and 4 pounds for one way! They need to make it cheaper imo.

Still cheaper than parking in the city I imagine.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Driving in London is insane. I really have no idea why anyone would put themselves through such an ordeal. I remember seeing an ambulance stuck in gridlock during a traffic jam in London. No wonder they use air ambulances more often.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM

I don't think sadgirl80 is just unhappy with Singapore's transport system , she just hate Singapore and eveything about it as she can't see anything positive. She hates how SIngapore claims to be multilingual, our people views and how we rule our Microstate. Not only our transport system

But no worries , we do have some US expats who come to SIngapore and simply love it here, those who don't leave after sometime .

Natural process.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Rail transport is actually rather pricey - some season tickets cost well over £1,000, although it depends on how far you're traveling. I get the train, and it's only around £2.70 to my place of work and back, which is no more expensive than the bus, but a lot quicker.
Sounds ideal, assuming the commute is short.

Quote:
Commuting from a 'bedroom community' will obviously cost a lot more. 12 monthly season tickets from Northampton to London costs £6032 a year. An annual season ticket from Ilkley to Leeds is £1,156 - and Ilkley is much closer to Leeds than Northampton is to London.

Not many 'downtrodden' people can afford that.
My mom's LIRR ticket is about $3600 / year. It's not as bad as it sounds, as driving the same would be about $2500 in gas alone, though possibly a bit cheaper depending on gas mileage. NYC rail is fared differently than London. London places the underground and mainline rail on the same, zoned fare system. NYC has the same fare on the local bus and subway regardless of distance while the mainline rail is on a separate pricier, zoned system. A strange result is you can go 30 miles by bus, then subway transfer for $2.50 or take a mainline train for the same route for several times more, the latter is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
One thing that is evident is that rail-based transit (subways, light rail) increases the probability that the better-off will ride. I've heard a joke about this, that the only way to get "white people" to ride transit is to expand rail-based systems.
I think that's a bit overstated. Cities that have trains tend to just have better transit overall and get more people who will choose transit besides just financial necessity. The DC bus riders are poorer than the subway riders, but that's partially because people going to downtown jobs will tend to use the subway and the subway serves wealthy suburbs. Seattle gets a higher transit ridership rate than Portland, even though it's wealthier and has few trains compared to Portland. Manhattan buses are whiter than the subway, because the buses serve local residents while the subways are also ridden by people living further out in more diverse neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World