Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times

Advertisements

I notice the Brits are the archetype of this. They sure know how to laugh at themselves and their own country. They can joke about their own stereotypes about how great British weather is, how punctual their trains are, how prudish they are about talking about sex, or how a fire extinguisher made in Britain doesn't work properly.

One thing the Americans don't seem to do as much is self-deprecating humor (I wonder why that is?) which seems more obvious when you compare it to England.

American culture does make fun of some aspects of US culture to laugh at itself (Yes, I have even heard Americans joke about the stereotype that Americans can't find countries on the map) but the problem is, joke about one aspect too much and people are sure to take a political spin on it (a lot of self-deprecating humor is seen as elitist, such as the idea that if you make fun of how Americans are, you are self-hating, or sometimes seen as targeting one group in particular, like the stereotypical image of hillbilly, gun-toting Southerners or nutty, ditzy urbanite new age Californians). You can't really make a non-political self-deprecating joke that will make all Americans happy and laugh like the British do about their wonderful rainy weather or trains that break down each half mile.

What other countries really like to joke about themselves in a self-deprecating manner? What lies at the root of this cultural trend, do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Australians - sort of, but more a certain segment of Australian society (e.g. bogans, ignorant yokels/rednecks, not 'us'). Australians can be rather defensive of any criticism of them or their country.

I've heard Italians are often quite self-deprecating. Japan too. Russia too. I think Singaporeans actually can be, I mean look at a lot of the Singapore humour videos on youtube.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I think the Russians are notorious for this. Norwegians also come to mind. Maybe Belgians, too.

Middle-easterners would maybe be the opposite extreme. Nobody in the Middle East ever makes fun of their own country, nor about any other Arab country, either..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:46 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Canadians do. Why? I don't know.

Canadian Trap:

Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
Canadians, for sure.

Its a long and hallowed tradition here, to make fun of ourselves.

On the other hand , how often do you hear of an American saying they were wrong, about anything ?

A few jokes to make my point...

How can you tell that the guy ahead of you, at the ATM is a Canadian ? He says "thanks " to the machine when the money comes out.

A real Canadian, will say sorry, when YOU step on THEIR foot.

Canadians have a special way of making visitors feel at home in Canada, we ask them if they want a beer, and a order of poutine , that we pay for.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Canadians, for sure.

Its a long and hallowed tradition here, to make fun of ourselves.

On the other hand , how often do you hear of an American saying they were wrong, about anything ?

A few jokes to make my point...

How can you tell that the guy ahead of you, at the ATM is a Canadian ? He says "thanks " to the machine when the money comes out.

A real Canadian, will say sorry, when YOU step on THEIR foot.

Canadians have a special way of making visitors feel at home in Canada, we ask them if they want a beer, and a order of poutine , that we pay for.

Jim B

Toronto.
None of those were very self-deprecating, more like self-praising.

I'd say Canada certainly has distinct humour. It tends to be fuelled off absurdity or satire or both. In English it tends towards being rather dry and in French towards rowdy slapstick. I think it's fair to say that it is a self-deprecating humour, quite strongly so, but it's more the comics being self deprecating about themselves for being fat or brown or old or whatever, less about being Canadian.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
None of those were very self-deprecating, more like self-praising.

I'd say Canada certainly has distinct humour. It tends to be fuelled off absurdity or satire or both. In English it tends towards being rather dry and in French towards rowdy slapstick. I think it's fair to say that it is a self-deprecating humour, quite strongly so, but it's more the comics being self deprecating about themselves for being fat or brown or old or whatever, less about being Canadian.
They sound like they're making fun of Canadians overt politeness, although it's probably entirely not true.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
Hi The Postman

I'm back..

I would say Singapore too.. When people from other countries praise Singapore for certain things, they just have to find negative things and put themselves down instead acceptting compliments graciously

Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM

This is a great example:

Ang Mo vs Singaporean - YouTube

Old 02-02-2014, 04:54 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
There is a quite popular american expat who speaks mandarin that appears on Singapore Tv at times...He is very integrated with singapore.

100% Singapore Episode 2 - YouTube

watch from 2min to 6 min. This is not subbed but certain part have got some English in it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World