Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So, I did my research, on youtube . JPop sounds very "popish" and 80'sish. But what's up with so many all female bands? Cpop seemed more diverse in sound, and I liked it better. Kpop seemed very dancy. C and Jpop had a lot of English words or phrases in the songs though.

I listened to some metal, and it seemed the closer it got to death metal, the more it sounded like American death metal. Maybe that's cause nobody can understand what they're saying, language aside. Chinese (nondeath) metal seemed folksy though. It reminded me of bluegrass.
K-pop is to Korea what Bieber, Katy Perry, Rihanna.etc is to American music, the most popularised dosh, although sometimes enjoyable as a guilty pleasure. There is of course a lot of other music that many don't hear. Not everyone is particularly proud of K-pop or that it's the 'face of Korea' to foreigners either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM

284 posts, read 641,208 times
Quote:
Is it just the top 40 that you'd hear out of the states or is their a wide variety of American genre's listened to abroad? My off the wall guess would be that US metal would be listened to in Europe, mostly northern, that US country/folk would be listened to in Japan and maybe Korea, US pop would be popular in Central and south America and Asia. Rap might be listened to in Africa, but reggae would be more popular. Am I anywhere near accurate?

In the US, we have ALOT of mariachi music from northern Mexico (listened to by immigrants), some reggae mainly from the Caribbean, some Swedish and German metal such as Meshuggah and Ramnstein, some Celtic folk or eastern European folk. But for the main part, if the lyrics aren't in English, it's not listened to very much, except for Asian instrumental meditation music.
stop w/ these lies ive never heard none of this played in America except reggae.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
It's not common to hear American music in China, and if it is, then it's probably a top 40 tune. Lady Gaga is known by most young Chinese people, as is Bieber, but it seems like most of them haven't even heard of Kanye (which is a good thing - hate that dude).

I have heard snippets of Western electronic music in advertisements; I heard the hook from "Comin' Back" by the Crystal Method on an ad for some clothing company, for example, and I went to a mostly-Chinese club and heard one of the newer Daft Punk tracks, as well as some top 40 I couldn't identify as I don't listen to that junk.

I met a girl who said she liked American rock music and listed a few bands like Linkin Park; I played her some Deftones, she loved it and asked me to put it on her thumb drive. I also met a guy on the GZ Metro who approached me and told me in broken English that he played guitar and loved Metallica, and then asked me to friend him on QQ so I could tell him about new bands.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
stop w/ these lies ive never heard none of this played in America except reggae.
If you've lived anywhere in the Southwest, you've heard Mariachi. Hell, if you visited the Southwest and walked around at all, you probably heard it.

Rammstein got airplay in the late 90's and maybe 00's but they're no longer on the air that I'm aware of; however, in metal circles, German and Scandanavian bands like Meshuggah and Amon Amarth are well-known and well-respected.

There are a fair number of Irish and Scottish-descended Americans who have an affinity for folk music from that region, and I've heard it on festivals and whatnot. When I was a kid in Seattle, there was a local folk music channel that played Irish/Celtic folk often - I don't think they exist anymore, though...

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
I agree with you...

There are a lot of "Mexican" radio stations in the Southwest, but they are not popular to most Americans. If you go to Phoenix or Los Angeles and play some Mariachi songs and ask 20 people if they know the title of the song, I bet all of them wouldn't be able to name it, maybe 1 or 2, but I bet they would be from Mexican decent.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
So, I did my research, on youtube . JPop sounds very "popish" and 80'sish. But what's up with so many all female bands? Cpop seemed more diverse in sound, and I liked it better. Kpop seemed very dancy. C and Jpop had a lot of English words or phrases in the songs though.

I listened to some metal, and it seemed the closer it got to death metal, the more it sounded like American death metal. Maybe that's cause nobody can understand what they're saying, language aside. Chinese (nondeath) metal seemed folksy though. It reminded me of bluegrass.
KPOP is a mix of pop and hip hop in my opinion. Many producers will hire American artists to help them out too. I know Will.I.Am has gone to Korea multiple times to help out. He likes going to Korea, you can even see some evidence of this in his music video, "Check It Out".

A lot of Koreans like to drink and party, which is why hip hop music is popular there as well as house music. I think KPOP this is the reason why it is popular in many parts of the world and this is before Gangnam Style, even "I Am The Best" is in the Just Dance game for Xbox.

Some well known songs...

HYUNA - 'Bubble Pop!' (Official Music Video) - YouTube

BIGBANG - FANTASTIC BABY M/V - YouTube

2NE1 - I AM THE BEST (

BIGBANG - BLUE M/V - YouTube

Brown Eyed Girls 'Abracadabra' - YouTube

Girls` Generation(

etc

Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Mariachi is VERY popular in parts of the US are you kidding me? Maybe not so much the others but there are Spanish language radio stations everywhere. When I was in rural Washington state, way up there, the only station that would come in was a Spanish language station and yes, they play Mariachi.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM

284 posts, read 641,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mariachi is VERY popular in parts of the US are you kidding me? Maybe not so much the others but there are Spanish language radio stations everywhere. When I was in rural Washington state, way up there, the only station that would come in was a Spanish language station and yes, they play Mariachi.
very popular among who???!!! illegal immigrants??? is that who your referring to? americans DO NOT listen to that. therefore it is not popular in the states

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You forgot jazz. I'm guessing pretty popular almost everywhere?
About as popular as classical. It’s a niche that has a devoted following (particularly in France), but numbers aren’t large.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Mexican banda/norteño music is very popular in the Southwest and Latino communities across the U.S., although mostly among Spanish-speaking people. It is very much part of the culture of New Mexico, for example, as anybody who watched Breaking Bad would know.

Reggaeton used to be somewhat known even here (where the owners of a Mexican restaurant made up half the Latino population, and country and rap were my graduating class's favorite type of music) with Daddy Yankee's "Gasolina", a piece that had a lot common with popular rap songs of the time (simple melody, slow "grinding" beat). The more recent and melodic, sweet reggaeton songs like "Perdoname", "La Despedida", etc. go virtually unknown but I suppose are common among the Hispanic communities in New York, Miami, etc.

I think most locals (in this very un-cosmopolitan place) between the ages of 20 and 40 would recognize "Du Hast". Other songs in German are mostly recognized by former German students, and not by anyone else. Germans don't even listen to much music in their own language. What's funny is there are Germans (and Dutch, like Marco Borsato), who take Italian names and even sing in Italian.

Last edited by tvdxer; 02-05-2014 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World