Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,705,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I still think the he majority of East Asia is poor because of China outside of the first 3 cities. Not to mention if you throw in Vietnam the region isn’t that wealthy overall, it only has really wealthy areas like SK, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore (Although it isn’t in East Asia is made up of mostly East Asians) and Tiānjīn, Beijing and Shanghai. These areas make up 278 million people out of 1,750 million, or 16% of East Asia being actually developed.
Tianjin is only a tier 2 city in China, behind Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and a few cities are on the same level.

Do not only look at GDP, which is driven by government investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 AM

6,443 posts, read 4,022,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Tianjin is only a tier 2 city in China, behind Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and a few cities are on the same level.

Do not only look at GDP, which is driven by government investment.
I’m looking at HDI, I understand their are other more important cities but if their in a state with mostly poor rural areas their not going to make the developed list. Although their three more Chinese states/provinces on the cusp of being developed at best we are talking about more than 50% of the region becoming developed taking at least 20-40 years.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:10 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,281,603 times
Quote:
I’m looking at HDI, I understand their are other more important cities but if their in a state with mostly poor rural areas their not going to make the developed list. Although their three more Chinese states/provinces on the cusp of being developed at best we are talking about more than 50% of the region becoming developed taking at least 20-40 years.
I believe the development is going to be a lot faster than that. We first went to China in 1988 and have been back several times, including for a month last year. The changes are incredible. The only place I can think of with a similar rate of change is Singapore.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You cannot compare a "city" with a "province". e.g. You may compare Tianjin with Guangzhou, but not with Guangdong.
The development of Tianjin has already slowed down. The previous prime minster of China was born in Tianjin, so Tianjin received a lot of good policies and investments. But its golden age is over.

If you ask anyone in China, he will tell you Tianjin is a good place but it is in tier 2. Few people will chose Tianjin over, say, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Nanjing... for living and working (unless they have some special tie with Tianjin).

Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 PM

6,443 posts, read 4,022,693 times
Quote:
You cannot compare a "city" with a "province". e.g. You may compare Tianjin with Guangzhou, but not with Guangdong.
The development of Tianjin has already slowed down. The previous prime minster of China was born in Tianjin, so Tianjin received a lot of good policies and investments. But its golden age is over.

If you ask anyone in China, he will tell you Tianjin is a good place but it is in tier 2. Few people will chose Tianjin over, say, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Nanjing... for living and working (unless they have some special tie with Tianjin).
I understand that but you can only compare HDI or developed regions. At this point you could argue you can’t compare Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau or even Taiwan seeing as the coastal area is essentially a connection of cities like Bos-Wash.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I understand that but you can only compare HDI or developed regions. At this point you could argue you can’t compare Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau or even Taiwan seeing as the coastal area is essentially a connection of cities like Bos-Wash.
I'm just telling you Tianjin is tier 2, and anyone from China will tell you the same thing. You can certainly compare Hong Kong etc to other cities, but not to a huge province with rural areas. You can also compare Taiwan to a Chinese province.

You need to visit these places to have real insights, not just read some figures made by the government.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 PM

630 posts, read 520,949 times
OP, buying stuff on eBay from Chinese merchants/seller may very well make you reconsider the so-called "East Asian work ethics".

Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
OP, buying stuff on eBay from Chinese merchants/seller may very well make you reconsider the so-called "East Asian work ethics".
You pay for what your deserve.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,177,165 times
There is no "work ethic" Work is what Belgian King Leopold got from the Congolese, by the "ethic" of cutting off the hands of the slowest workers. Work is what the protestants did when Calvin told them that the "ethical" God would burn them in hell if they didn't do enough of it.

Work is what the Eskimos did when they discovered that mangoes did not just fall of trees onto the tundra. Do you think any culture in the world ever worked harder than the Eskimos? What did it get them?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 PM

630 posts, read 520,949 times
Quote:
You pay for what your deserve.
I knew beforehand that a genius somewhere in the world would come up with that kind of rhetoric: "If I can mislead you, then you deserve to be misled", that summarizes well the Asian "great work ethics". East Asian merchants sell counterfeit good listed as genuine ones, and will not shy away to every dirty trick in the book to go away with it. If I go to Mr. Chang's store and manage to shoplift without being caught, does it make it ok? Why the double standard? Stealing by means of force, or fraud, it's still stealing. Your ethics are questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World