Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

There are a number of reasons why new immigrants and the country they are coming to have issues with integration or fitting in.

There is language. People argue that the immigrants speak their own language among themselves and don't learn the host country's language. However, if the children are brought up with others of the country, they will grow up speaking like a native.

There is religion. For instance, trying to go immigrating to Israel for someone who is non-Jewish would be an issue. If the immigrant has a different faith (or lack thereof) as the country he/she is trying to go to, there will be tensions. Also, it is an issue if immigrants' religions also conflict with secular countries' ideals or norms or principles.

There are social or civic values. This ties in to religion sometimes but doesn't have to be. Countries want citizens to share the social values they have in common and if not, there can be problems with integrating the person into society. For example, if the country values egalitarian norms between the sexes, say, and someone from another culture refuses to recognize it and prefers strict sex and gender roles for their families, that can be a problem.

There is physical appearance or race/blood ties. One can stand out more because you look different (facial features, skin color, whatever) to the country you are trying to assimilate into. In big cities that are multiracial in New World countries this isn't as much of an issue, if at all. This is pretty shallow of a reason, in my opinion, to be a barrier of not accepting someone, more so than the others I mention which I feel are more reasonable reasons/arguments.

There are also other cultural differences, such as food, dress, customs and etiquette that people find tensions with when immigrants arrive. Some argue that these differences are not important and others say that the should give them up to properly assimilate.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 AM

7 posts, read 42,857 times
Discrimination is the main barrier to assimilation for immigrants in all countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I think the language and cultural barriers are the main problems for new immigrants in all countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
I think the language and cultural misunderstandings are the main problems for new immigrants in all countries.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
It's not an immigration issue,any country can have these problems among its own indigenous people : blacks in America,indians in certain latin countries,Belgium (flemish and wallon),Ireland (catholic,protestant,independist,unionist),Gypsies in Romania,Spain (catalonia,basque).
In fact nobody is really integrated to anything,the right to be different is as legitimate as any integration.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
In the United States, the main reason is low educational attainment levels on the part of certain immigrants which lead to low incomes and poverty. And therefore, isolation from mainstream society.

You've got to play the game right when you come to America.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
The fact that people here don't want immigrants unless they are going to assimilate into our culture.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
In America, color.

European or African immigrants can have a kid and that kid does not have the "foreigner" stigma that Asian or Latino immigrants have. I don't think an Asian or even Latino would ever feel completely at home watching historical movie of America, where everyone is white and/or black. I think there is an unwritten rule that says that people who are white, or black, are "real" Americans and that people who aren't are immigrants, regardless of what generation they are. Look at how many Asian Americans are asked if they speak Chinese even when they are born and raised here; nobody asks the white guy if he speaks Polish or the black guy if he speaks Swahili; you never see it.

I would imagine that this is the same thing in Europe, except on a much greater scale due to the lack of a history of immigration or having different races. For example, I don't think that an Arab named brown guy is ever truly viewed as completely German, and I think it is considered "wrong" or "racist" to suggest such a phenomenon exists.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
. I don't think an Asian or even Latino would ever feel completely at home watching historical movie of America, where everyone is white and/or black.
In Canada we don't have that problem. Because no one makes or watches historical movies about Canada!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In America, color.

European or African immigrants can have a kid and that kid does not have the "foreigner" stigma that Asian or Latino immigrants have. I don't think an Asian or even Latino would ever feel completely at home watching historical movie of America, where everyone is white and/or black. I think there is an unwritten rule that says that people who are white, or black, are "real" Americans and that people who aren't are immigrants, regardless of what generation they are. Look at how many Asian Americans are asked if they speak Chinese even when they are born and raised here; nobody asks the white guy if he speaks Polish or the black guy if he speaks Swahili; you never see it.

I would imagine that this is the same thing in Europe, except on a much greater scale due to the lack of a history of immigration or having different races. For example, I don't think that an Arab named brown guy is ever truly viewed as completely German, and I think it is considered "wrong" or "racist" to suggest such a phenomenon exists.
I suppose most countries will always be "stuck" with this. You can't go back in time and plant Asian faces on the paintings of the American founding fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World