Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Japan or Germany?
Germany 44 55.00%
Japan 36 45.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

89 posts, read 168,895 times

Advertisements

Pros for Germany.

It's clean

Doesn't have many of the problems that effect
other first world nations today

Stable economy unlike Japan

Cons for Germany
Rather bad history compared to other countries
of its caliber.

In Central Europe. Not a bad location but not
good either

Should have kept east Germamy and just made
it it's own state but run like West Germany.

Pros for Japan

Great location, best located country in the world.

Worlds most populated country so obviously
people love it.

Has Tokyo, one of the worlds best cities

Cons for Japan
Overpopulated, which leads to higher prices,
homelessness, people without jobs ect.

Rather backwards in some ways for a first world
country

Just too small. Sometimes I wish they could take
a section of China and call it their land.

Japanese are homogenous. No diversity among
people at all. Not a good thing to be in 2014.

Last edited by Ronnie101; 02-16-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 PM

15 posts, read 35,553 times
Germany has black people in their national sports teams.
It is very hard for foreigners to become citizens of Japan.
Germany has good relations with european neighbors.
Japan has tense relations with asian neighbours.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Pros for Germany.

It's clean

Doesn't have many of the problems that effect
other first world nations today

Stable economy unlike Japan

Cons for Germany
Rather bad history compared to other countries
of its caliber.

In Central Europe. Not a bad location but not
good either

Should have kept east Germamy and just made
it it's own state but run like West Germany.

Pros for Japan

Great location, best located country in the world.

Worlds most populated country so obviously
people love it.

Has Tokyo, one of the worlds best cities

Cons for Japan
Overpopulated, which leads to higher prices,
homelessness, people without jobs ect.

Rather backwards in some ways for a first world
country

Just too small. Sometimes I wish they could take
a section of China and call it their land.

Japanese are homogenous. No diversity among
people at all. Not a good thing to be in 2014.
Earthquakes and other shenanigans all the time?

Germany>Japan

Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Germany because geologically it's a bigger area with a great deal more stable and habitable space and it has 47 million less people than Japan does.

Actually Japan is slightly bigger, 377,944 km2 vs 357,021 km2. Both have dense populations. Both make a lot of cars, are known for their high quality electronics goods/technology and cars of course, and both had well-disciplined armed forces during the War when they were Axis allies...

Too different to really compare. I find Japanese culture more interesting, and would rather live there if I could. Germany has interesting things about it but in Europe I prefer France and Italy.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Would love to visit both one day, but I think I'll prefer to live in Deutschland over Nippon.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite
Germany because geologically it's a bigger area with a great deal more stable and habitable space and it has 47 million less people than Japan does.
Actually Japan is slightly bigger, 377,944 km2 vs 357,021 km2. Both have dense populations. Both make a lot of cars, are known for their high quality electronics goods/technology and cars of course, and both had well-disciplined armed forces during the War when they were Axis allies...

Too different to really compare. I find Japanese culture more interesting, and would rather live there if I could. Germany has interesting things about it but in Europe I prefer France and Italy.
Only about 1/3rd of the land mass of Japan is habitable. The habitable land is the seismically unstable land along the coastlines and in lower elevation foothills and low lying flat valleys. The other 2/3rds of the land mass is uninhabitable craggy stone vertical mountains that no modern infrastructure and very little agriculture can be built upon. Japan has 127 million people crammed together in coastline cities in limited habitable space, while Germany has around 80 million people living in a much greater area of habitable and seismically more stable space.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Germany through and through.

Firstly, I feel like Democracy is more apparent in Germany. Doesn't Japan vote for the same party year after year after year?

I respect Germany a whole lot more. Japan still pays tribute to people who enacted grotesque military atrocities during the times of Imperial Japan.

Where would I like to settle is a no brainer, Germany. Japan is very hostile to immigrants. Even if the immigrant is of Japanese descent they don't like them. For instance they do not allow the five million Brazilians of Japanese descent to move to Japan as guest workers even. Germany seems to be fine with immigrants as long as they try their hardest to integrate into society.

Economically I think Japan is going downhill too. They have been in an economic slump for the past two decades now and whenever things start to look better they just get bad again. I think today there is more opportunity in Germany.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I don't believe that Japan is hostile to immigrants so much as it is unable to take immigrants or large numbers of guest workers. Japan is over-populated and has no more habitable space available to allow for immigration and new infrastructure and it's very limited in agricultural space. Japan now relies almost entirely on imported foods because it can't produce enough for the population it has.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
If more people actually visited Japan i think this poll would be a lot closer.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Hard choice--there are a lot of obvious differences between the two countries, but I find the cultures sometimes similar in terms of being particularly orderly in many ways that spawn incredible multifarious subcultures. Both have interesting regional differences in terms of culture and topography. In terms of cuisine, Japanese cuisine is certainly my favorite, but I do love German food and the surprisingly, given German cuisine's reputation, diverse offerings available. I'd be pretty happy to live in both major and minor cities in either country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World